Moore Bettah Auction

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Amazing uke! Time to get out the popcorn!

over under on the final price? I’m thinking of setting the line at $8,500? Other thoughts

You're gonna have to go over if you want to win the auction! 🤯

With five hours left, two or three of the bidders stand out as being willing to go down to the wire. It's nailbiting time for the auction participants and for anyone who wagered on the over/under. It's a beautiful ukulele, visually and soundwise, and -- this is important-- a really meaningful one for Chuck, as he loves to celebrate Hula with his inlay designs. Whoever gets it is going to be one happy MBU caretaker!

Bump. 1 hour left!

Bump. 1 hour left!
Finished at $16,550, with no last minute bids. Congrats to the winner!

I was expecting a bidding war at the end, but I guess at that price point, it was already out of range for most of us.
Congratulations to the winner. A lovely ukulele.

I was expecting a bidding war at the end, but I guess at that price point, it was already out of range for most of us.
Congratulations to the winner. A lovely ukulele.
Well I don’t have a lovely MBU but I have bragging rights by picking “under!” Congrats to the owner!

in rereading my posts I never said out loud under even though that’s what I was thinking. Oh well I guess those bragging rights are as elusive as the MBU

I had expected a little more activity in the last minutes of this auction. (I would have taken the "under" on $18K, but my guess was mid to high $17K.) After the auction ended, though, I noticed that the winner, Joe, had made three recent bids that were more than the $25 minimum bump, twice when the eventual runner-up, Fra, was the prior bidder -- $16,200 on Fra's bid of $16,025 and $16,500 on Fra's prior bid of $16,225. Joe had also bid $16,000 on Rob's prior bid of $15,200. It might be extrapolated from this bidding that Joe was more comfortable bidding whatever it took to win or that Joe just had more money.

I've never purchased a Moore Bettah via auction, so I'm not sure what it must have been like for Fra to decide not to bid $50 more than his/her prior bid to try to outbid Joe's ultimately winning bid. However, I admire what must have been great discipline for Fra to decide how much he/she was willing to spend and to stick with that decision.

I happen to have an all-Koa MBU tenor (although the Koa on mine isn't as curly as the Koa on Mahina Hula), and mine is a beautiful instrument with a very Hawaiian voice. I'm sure Mahina Hula sounds at least as wonderful, and it's certainly visually stunning. Congratulations to Joe on obtaining possession of this wonderful instrument!

$16,550! Yikes. Although that sounds like a lotta dough, but i guess not for a MB. I think "Joe" is lucky to have gotten this baby for this price. I'd have expected to pay around 25 grand for one that looks and sounds like this, but hey, money is tight. Worldwide inflation has taken a bite out of our purchasing power. I was thinking of having a custom uke built this year, but now I may have to wait till next year. And it's only gonna cost a tenth of this, at least I hope so.

$16,550! Yikes. Although that sounds like a lotta dough, but i guess not for a MB. I think "Joe" is lucky to have gotten this baby for this price. I'd have expected to pay around 25 grand for one that looks and sounds like this, but hey, money is tight. Worldwide inflation has taken a bite out of our purchasing power. I was thinking of having a custom uke built this year, but now I may have to wait till next year. And it's only gonna cost a tenth of this, at least I hope so.
This is the perfect auction to show others (non uke players?) when they're flabbergasted that you spent closer to $2k on your uke. Kind of puts everything in perspective, haha.

Top Bottom