Moore Bettah being auctioned..gotta see this!

I do own a MB. Bought it used a couple of years ago from the Ukulele Friend site. It doesn't have the scrimshaw work that Chuck is famous for but it does have the sound and playability. It is just what i wanted. It was a stretch for me to buy it but I have never regretted the purchase. Just the opposite. It gives me a very great deal of pleasure every day. Really heart-felt joy. Ukulele Friend has 2 used MBs for sale now. Not cheap but much less than $15K. When I consider the pleasure I get from the MB, the price doesn't even enter the picture. I'm sure there are other fine custom ukes that give back the same joy. Just saying that it can sure be worth the price.

This is really ugly. The holy grail has become the golden fleece. I almost dislike HMS for this stuff.

I actually like HMS even more for this! It's fun to watch these auctions. I'd love to watch a Sotheby's auction for a Stradivarius violin too, for the same reasons.

stevepetergal, if you made something as beautiful as this and sold it for $5K, how would you feel when you see it come up for auction a short time later and sell for $15K? HMS is the perfect venue with a captive target audience, which has helped Chuck fetch the prices he deserves and prevents others from turning around and profiting off of his talents. I've always viewed HMS's involvement with selling MB's as Andrew helping Chuck get the best prices he can. There is no way that greed is playing a role here. It wouldn't surprise me if Chuck has over 100 hours of work in this piece too.

I'm lucky enough to own a MB, too. It's my best playing, sounding, and looking instrument.

The one just sold on HMS is astounding, and it makes me appreciate the one I own even more.

Best wishes to the new owner.

I actually like HMS even more for this! It's fun to watch these auctions. I'd love to watch a Sotheby's auction for a Stradivarius violin too, for the same reasons.

stevepetergal, if you made something as beautiful as this and sold it for $5K, how would you feel when you see it come up for auction a short time later and sell for $15K? HMS is the perfect venue with a captive target audience, which has helped Chuck fetch the prices he deserves and prevents others from turning around and profiting off of his talents.

Interesting post. It would be nice to hear from descendants of Antonio Stradivari who are out working their day jobs.

John

Last edited:
Interesting post. It would be nice to hear from descendants of Antonio Stradivari who are out working their day jobs.

John

I had a feeling I would get this response from someone. Now we're talking about value appreciation over time - and a long time at that. Chuck is still alive for crying out loud (and hopefully for a many many more years too!).

I'd be proud as hell to be a descendant of Antonio Stradivari. Would be super cool to be able to say that. I certainly wouldn't expect a cut of the sales each time one of his 300 year old instruments is sold. His descendants had nothing to do with the genius of his creations. That's ridiculous and IMO a bad argument. We obviously differ in our views and that is not my argument at all in the case of Chuck's uke selling for $15K. I only mentioned the Strads it in the context of how I enjoy watching the auctions, not who should get paid.

Last edited:
It was more of a tongue-in-cheek irony if one of his descendants had to install microwave ovens and custom kitchen deliveries, move refrigerators and color TV's for a living.

John

It was more of a tongue-in-cheek irony if one of his descendants had to install microwave ovens and custom kitchen deliveries, move refrigerators and color TV's for a living.

John

"Money for nothing.... I want my MTV"

I'd be proud as hell to be a descendant of Antonio Stradivari. Would be super cool to be able to say that. I certainly wouldn't expect a cut of the sales each time one of his 300 year old instruments is sold. His descendants had nothing to do with the genius of his creations. That's ridiculous and IMO a bad argument. We obviously differ in our views and that is not my argument at all in the case of Chuck's uke selling for $15K. I only mentioned the Strads it in the context of how I enjoy watching the auctions, not who should get paid.

I'll stay off topic and mention that if you ever make it to Madrid, Spain, the Royal Museum in Madrid (Palacio Real) has a very, VERY, rare collection of Stradivarius instruments including two violins, a viola, and a cello. Most people going through the museum have no idea of what they are seeing (it is called the "Stradivarius Room" but most people don't put two and two together to know that why are seeing. I managed to get the security guard in the room to allow me to take a video and some pictures. Trip Advisory says that the four instruments may be worth more than 100 Million Euros!

Top Bottom