Moving to Honolulu! Ack!

Any idea what area you'll be living?

Nope, not yet. I'd like to stay close to downtown, since everybody tells me horror stories about the traffic. But, I'm also on a tight budget, and need a pet-friendly place, so I may not end up with many options.

Congrats on your upcoming move to my birthplace and what I still call home. Lived in Cali for 46 years and do miss home but also love Cali for all it has to offer.
Maui is now my second home though not as exciting as Honolulu.

Well, as mentioned in another thread, I interviewed for a couple jobs with the State of Hawaii a few weeks ago. I wasn't really expecting much, but, last night I got a call.

It's not official-official yet, but the one right in downtown Honolulu told me that once the background checks go through, they'll be making me a offer!

So, now I just have to...sell everything. And find somewhere to live, and, and....ack!

ACK, WHAT ACK?!! We all wish we were moving there :)

Nope, not yet. I'd like to stay close to downtown, since everybody tells me horror stories about the traffic. But, I'm also on a tight budget, and need a pet-friendly place, so I may not end up with many options.

I live in Palolo Valley, which is about 10-15 minutes from downtown depending on the traffic, but its usually not too bad except near the university area. Very close to restaurants, markets, on/off ramps to H1 east or west, parks, hiking trails, etc. The tradewinds are nice and breezy up here which keeps it cool. The neighborhood itself is quiet for the most part, a good mix of middle aged working families and some older retirees. Just wanna steer clear of the public housing near the back of the valley.

I'd also recommend Kapahulu, Pacific Heights, Pauoa, Nu'uanu or Kaka'ako which has been booming recently. Hope this sorta helps, if you need any info on anything else no be shame for ask :)

Hey Chap....that is outstanding news!!!! Really glad for you and it has to be so exciting!!
Wishing you all the best (you lucky dog!!)

Hey Chap....that is outstanding news!!!! Really glad for you and it has to be so exciting!!
Wishing you all the best (you lucky dog!!)

Thanks all! I'm really excited, yet there's also the horror of moving. I'm going to have to find a cheap place to live that's an easy walk or bus ride to downtown (830 Punchbowl). My cats may or may not make the trip, I'm a bit concerned about confining them to what will probably be a 400sq ft apartment. But, we'll see.

I tell you, you never realize just how much stuff you have until you move. And it's not any easier even with me having to get rid of most of it, because I have to sort it all!

Hey, that reminds me! Anyone have any suggestions of where to take uke lessons while I'm there?

Thanks all! I'm really excited, yet there's also the horror of moving. I'm going to have to find a cheap place to live that's an easy walk or bus ride to downtown (830 Punchbowl). My cats may or may not make the trip, I'm a bit concerned about confining them to what will probably be a 400sq ft apartment. But, we'll see.

I tell you, you never realize just how much stuff you have until you move. And it's not any easier even with me having to get rid of most of it, because I have to sort it all!

Hey, that reminds me! Anyone have any suggestions of where to take uke lessons while I'm there?

Lesson: UU Plus.

Well, probably because I'm awful and poor. :p

Got my start date! I fly over on the 12th, and start work on the 16th! (of July)

Soooo much to do!

Well, probably because I'm awful and poor. :p

Got my start date! I fly over on the 12th, and start work on the 16th! (of July)

Soooo much to do!

Well, you didn't list a budget. Lol. But seriously dude, you could take a stroll down the beach and jam with the uncles. Some of the best mentors are the ones you haven't heard about.

a3173100-239-bill-the-cat-ack.jpg

Anand.... Here I am!

Been on island for a week, still kinda finding my way around. Got a little studio on Ala Wai Blvd, starting to learn my way around. So far, I am thrilled to be here. I think even my non-hawaiian Mya Moe sounds better in the air here. :)

I should be catching the ukulele festival tomorrow, since I can walk there. (still a few days yet before the ship with my jeep arrives) I will wear my UU shirt and lots of sunscreen for my fish white skin. :)

A studio on Ala Wai Blvd. A tiny heaven. You are right there, centrally located, for everything, Chap. Might be hard to get cheap groceries there, though. I assume you had to ditch the car, but buses work well.

I have seen many threads about people speaking of moving to Hawaii in the two years or so that I've been on UU, but you're the first one that I've seen do it. Props, Chap. Props to you.

That sounds like a little piece of heaven. Glad you arrived safe and sound and are enjoying your new life. :)

Awesome....have a Mai Tai for me while playing your uke on da beach!!
Congratulations!!!!!!

Top Bottom