Music Stand

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Looking for a decent portable music stand to take to jams and 'ukulele group meetings. Recommendations?

janeray1940

To me the only portable music stand worth having is the Hercules BS100B - it's a little pricey, but it's near indestructable. Before I learned about these, I would destroy at least one cheapo music stand every three months or so.

After seeing the posts below I should clarify: my portable music stand lives in the car, gets banged around a lot since I'm usually juggling it plus two or three ukes, and usually has to support a 2" thick binder of sheet music (since I'm so absent-minded that if I took out the pages as-needed, I know they would magically disappear). So, I may be a bit less... delicate with my music stands than most!

Last edited:

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
I've had a "cheapo" for about 3 or 4 years now, no problems, still like new, but I'm not saying it's the only one worth owning. Comes apart to fit in my "gig bag" and goes together in a minute. I guess some folks harder on equipment than others. Here's one with 111 decent reviews:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-folding-music-stand/451035

Here's the one I have, $6 bucks more. 145 reviews give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-conductor-music-stand. Not lightweight. When not using it for jams or teaching my uke class, it sits behind me at my computer station.

Last edited:

RichM

I imagine it has a lot to do with how often you use it. I have been using a $14.99 folding music stand for about 2 years now without any wear or damage. I probably use it only an average of every 2 weeks or so, though. Fine for a few sheets of music or an iPad, but I wouldn't put the score of a Broadway show on it!