My first build

AstroEd42

Reaction score
This is a Tenor Ukulele that I built for my son-in-law, he's a guitarist. It was quite a learning experience. Without the knowledge gained on this forum, I would have never got it done. The neck is carved from ! piece of Mahogany, the Fretboard is Ebony. The soundboard is Torrefied Sitka, the sides are Mahogany and Flame maple bindings. The Headstock has a burl maple veneer, and the back is Fancy Mahogany. I hope he likes it. I chose the woods I did to match a new Martin guitar he has. Thanks everyone for the help and inspiration you've given me. Must get another one started now.
Ed

Attachments

• ORG.jpg
    ORG.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3550.jpg
    IMG_3550.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3552.jpg
    IMG_3552.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 80
That looks a superb effort, Ed! Congratulations, I'm sure the lucky recipient will be delighted.

Thank you,. The sides were supposed to be fancy Mahogany also, but I cracked one when I was bending them. I couldn't afford to buy a new set. In a way it was good I cracked one. I learned an expensive lesson. :(

Last edited:
Thats a lot better than my first half dozen builds, I scrapped quite a few before my first almost playable one was completed. (still have it hanging on the wall just to remind me)

Thank you Ken. Coming from you, that is quite a complement. I learned a lot following you and others on the forum. I watched and re-watched all of your YouTube videos. A wealth of knowledge there. You've contributed a lot to the forum. The one thing you have that I would die for is a milling machine. In the 80's I had a chance to get one for just the $300 freight, but the local power company wouldn't run 3 phase to my house unless I guaranteed them to use so much HP. A 2 phase converter was to expensive. It's the only thing I missed upon retiring.
Thanks again
Ed

Thank you Ken. Coming from you, that is quite a complement. I learned a lot following you and others on the forum. I watched and re-watched all of your YouTube videos. A wealth of knowledge there. You've contributed a lot to the forum. The one thing you have that I would die for is a milling machine. In the 80's I had a chance to get one for just the $300 freight, but the local power company wouldn't run 3 phase to my house unless I guaranteed them to use so much HP. A 2 phase converter was to expensive. It's the only thing I missed upon retiring.
Thanks again
Ed
My milling machine is just a ancient cast iron Kerry bench drill...I bought a cheap milling XY table for it on eBay and fitted a machine vice to it.

My milling machine is just a ancient cast iron Kerry bench drill...I bought a cheap milling XY table for it on eBay and fitted a machine vice to it.
It's getting the job done, that's what's important. That's a good Idea. It's what I would like, to be able to make fixtures like you do. Wood doesn't cut it for some things.
Ed

To hear music from an instrument that I made was a very happy moment for me.
Ed

Hey Ed, it's a lot more fun to actually play the instrument you built. This would be a great time to take up ukulele playing. It's not hard which is the beauty of the ukulele. You don't actually have to be a musician to make music which is like saying I like to see people ride bicycles but I don't actually ride a bicycle myself. Three chords learned and you are off!

Hey Ed, it's a lot more fun to actually play the instrument you built. This would be a great time to take up ukulele playing. It's not hard which is the beauty of the ukulele. You don't actually have to be a musician to make music which is like saying I like to see people ride bicycles but I don't actually ride a bicycle myself. Three chords learned and you are off!
It's difficult making an instrument not knowing how to play. But it's not in the cards for me. Attempts in the past have been horrible failures. My dad used to say I should play tenor, and solo. "Ten or 15 miles away, and so low we don't hear you. And you should be on stage, there's one leaving at 3 oclock". :) Sadly he was right.
Ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom