I serendipitiously ran across some more A chords. It runs thus:
A sus2
A note x 5
A sus4
A note x 5
A sus4 b6
A note X 5
A sus4

That motivates me to re-do my song book. My song book differs from that of others. My song book has the elements of song-making as opposed to sheet music for existing songs. One of the central pages of my songbook is my chord page. I noticed that my sus chords had a lot of penciled-in annotations and alterations. I think it is time to load my pen with ink and re-do that page.
Great progression in earlier post! Do you have your book in public access or you want to commercialize it later? If you don't want to commercialize it then i can typeset it for you.

Last edited:

ripock

I'm afraid not. It is just done with graph paper and a fountain pen. The best I could do would be to go to the Fedex Office store on Friday, my next day off, and make a copy...but it really isn't that special. However I will send it if you want it.

ripock

That would be a bit of an investment for me, Bill. I'd have to buy a memory stick and a cell phone. Remember I still shave with a cut-throat razor. But I'll keep it in mind.

ripock

I had some time on my hands since this is my fasting day. I need to shed my covid fat gain because my waistcoats are too tight. So I played a little tune I guess you could call it for lack of a better name. I started playing my current favorite progression of E add9, Am/Am add9, Bm, Bbm, Am, D, D7b9.

Then from there I ascended the fret board with my D#dim7 arpeggio 'til I got to the D# on 6th fret, and from there to the Em on the7th fret. I created a pattern with that chord and then I would break the pattern with finger picking (kind of like a Stop Time Blues). From the Em chord I would riff with the B Phrygian Dominant and the E minor pentatonic shapes that overlap it: the mediant shape and the tonic shape.

I would alternate the Em chord with the E7sus2, Am, and a different voicing of the Em which added the G from the 10th fret. Every once in a great while I was slip back down to the 2nd fret and start from the top.

I have to admit it sounded good and that was for one reason chiefly: rhythm. I played this continuously for a bit more than an hour. Therefore I missed some notes. However as long as the rhythm keeps going, it all comes together. That metronome work pays off.

ripock

I wasn't eating today since it is a fasting day. I decided to get rid of my covid fat by eating one meal every other day. I'm also doing 20 minutes of anaerobic cardio (300 swings with a 40kg kettlebell) to keep things light so that I don't get any cortisol during my training. My wife is suffering terribly from gastritis and isn't eating well. I made her what she wanted: swordfish, collard greens, millet, and beans.

Then I sat down to play some ukulele before bedtime. I wanted to really dial in my upper frets which I kind of know, but kind of don't. I was engaged in the same exercise of establishing a rhythm with E minor and finger picking within that rhythm.

I was pleased that I was able to play two E minors in this region of the neck. The one at the 12th fret and the one at the 14th fret. The minor at the 19th fret is hopeless. I don't think there's a way for me to barre that fret; it is just too tiny.

Then I just remembered what modes are located between the 12th and 19th frets: G Ionian #5, A Dorian #11, and the B Phrygian Dominant. The minor pentatonic shapes covering that same real estate are the mediant, subdominant, and dominant shapes.

So I had six scale shapes and two E minor chords to work with. And it felt good. It was one of those times when everything was clicking. Some times you get the feeling that you're not really making progress but only laying the foundation for some future progress. However today it felt like I was getting somewhere. After a few days of this, I think I will have the upper fret board down pat and I could then link it up with the middle of the fret board. I will need to remember to work on my arpeggios in the upper fret board as well so that I have another tool.

Last week I had to turn on the furnace because of the chill. Every day my hygrometer seems to slip a percent or two. Today Yorkie's relative humidity was 43%--respectable but I want to make sure it doesn't get much lower. So I guess it is high time to bust out the humidifers and the distilled water.

Uncleleo

I wasn't eating today since it is a fasting day. I decided to get rid of my covid fat by eating one meal every other day. I'm also doing 20 minutes of anaerobic cardio (300 swings with a 40kg kettlebell) to keep things light so that I don't get any cortisol during my training. My wife is suffering terribly from gastritis and isn't eating well. I made her what she wanted: swordfish, collard greens, millet, and beans.

Then I sat down to play some ukulele before bedtime. I wanted to really dial in my upper frets which I kind of know, but kind of don't. I was engaged in the same exercise of establishing a rhythm with E minor and finger picking within that rhythm.

I was pleased that I was able to play two E minors in this region of the neck. The one at the 12th fret and the one at the 14th fret. The minor at the 19th fret is hopeless. I don't think there's a way for me to barre that fret; it is just too tiny.

Then I just remembered what modes are located between the 12th and 19th frets: G Ionian #5, A Dorian #11, and the B Phrygian Dominant. The minor pentatonic shapes covering that same real estate are the mediant, subdominant, and dominant shapes.

So I had six scale shapes and two E minor chords to work with. And it felt good. It was one of those times when everything was clicking. Some times you get the feeling that you're not really making progress but only laying the foundation for some future progress. However today it felt like I was getting somewhere. After a few days of this, I think I will have the upper fret board down pat and I could then link it up with the middle of the fret board. I will need to remember to work on my arpeggios in the upper fret board as well so that I have another tool.

Last week I had to turn on the furnace because of the chill. Every day my hygrometer seems to slip a percent or two. Today Yorkie's relative humidity was 43%--respectable but I want to make sure it doesn't get much lower. So I guess it is high time to bust out the humidifers and the distilled water.
Hungry died - bad diet. You will lose muscle mass very easy with fat. I prefer this rules for losing fat:
  • Eating every time when you want to eat.
  • Every meal has only three components: turkey (low fat meat for protein) or fish (omega and protein) or squid, buckwheat (low blood sugar and main component for fat loss) and vegetables (vitamins for support diet).
  • If you have problems with vegetables you can replace them with vitamins drugs.
  • I you can get fish oil it is very good. Add it every morning to your meal.
  • You can drink coffee without milk between the meals.
Losing fat will be about 5 kg a week without losing muscle mass.

Last edited:

ripock

Thanks for the tips Uncle Leo, but I come from a culture where fasting is central and not eating comes more naturally to me. my vagus nerve is used to it and I never get hungry, although I will get a headache if I don't drink water. I actually feel better and more clear-headed on fasting days. I've never lost appreciable muscle mass and I have fasted for up to 7 days.

ripock

I thought I'd really quick upload the pattern I use for dim7 arpeggios. The top one is just to get from the G string to the A string more or less horizontally. I guess you could use it iteratively at the 2nd fret, 5th, 8th, 11th, and 14th if you wanted to do all the fret board. And, of course, I'm talking about the A/D#/F#/C dim7 that is in my scale of choice. If you were going to use another dim7, the frets would be different.

The second pattern is what I use when I want to move further in a fluid pattern

Naturally, I also use fragments of these two when playing. For example, I was strumming the Em rooted on the 14th fret. That voicing has a B on the A string. It was easy to slip up to the C from that B and just play around in the arpeggio 'til I arrived at somewhere I recognized. I tend to recognize things out the outer strings more. For example, if I wanked around 'til I got to the A on the 14th fret, I would totally be able to switch gears to a subdominant shape of the pentatonic or the A Dorian #11. That's cool as far as it goes but it is only the tip of the iceberg. I need to practice a bit more to change on the inside strings. That will be more musical and less scale-like. For instance if I arpeggiated to the F# on the 14th of the E string, I could move to the A Dorian #11, the C Lydian #2, the G Ionian #5, the B Phrygian dominant, or the F# Lokrian 13. There are a lot more options, but I'm just not seeing them. I have to work on my musical vision.

In parting, I have to say that I cursorily browsed a thread about plastic ukes. Of course I did not contribute because I had derisive thoughts and there's no need to publish those. However, one thing popped out to me. People commonly used camping as a pretext for the plastic instrument. Anyone can look at this thread and see my commitment to our instrument. I play mine most days. Yet, there is a time and a place for everything. If I were hunting, fishing, or camping, the last thing I would want to see is someone pull out a ukulele. If I am out in the woods I want to sit in peace, not hear some tin pan alley song. I know it is weird and weirder still, I hate buskers. If I am in public space, I think it should be a neutral space where all peoples can pass through without being assailed by other people's noise, let alone being dunned for money to experience this annoyance.