my ukulele progress

Oldscruggsfan

I made one of my favorites, my farinata which is 1/2 cup of garbanzo bean flour and 5 ozs. of liquid. You combine the two and let it sit while you put a skillet with some fat in the oven. Once the oven gets to 450 or 475, then you add a swirl or two of olive oil to your farinata mixture and add whatever else makes you happy. I put in umami powder and pepper and some very finely chopped red onion. After I pour it into the hot skillet, I usually sprinkle on something green (today it was basil) and something red (today it was ground pequin peppers). Then put it in the oven for 15 minutes or so. It is crunchy but also gooey.

This morning I am pondering labels. I had had an infection and I was not feeling too spry but was just sleeping more and life was uninterrupted except for blowing my nose a lot. However my wife went to the pharmacist and got covid tests. She has covid which means I have it as well. When it was a cold/flu I was okay with just working with it, but now that I have covid I am taking a day off work.

And my curiosity with labels extends to what I'm playing. I'm playing a chord progression in F while picking in E. The reason I decided to do this is simple. When picking the tune in E altered, I saw that the notes were there for chords in F. That's it. I don't have any grander theoretical reasoning.

so I have been strumming Gø, C7b9, Fm and then playing melodies over it and I was prioritizing the F to F variant of the E alt.

I do want to mention the results of the methodology I have been using with the altered scale and the dominant diminished scale. What I usually do is take a scale and all the modes of that scale and map them out on the fretboard. The glory of the mode is how modular it is. When you're playing a mode you know what you're doing for that portion of the fretboard. The problem with that way of approaching it is that it creates very discrete units and you tend to stay within the bailiwick of that unit, and the trick becomes how to unlearn the walls that enclose the mode so that you can flow up and down the neck.

What I've done this time around is not be such a micromanager. I learned where the notes are but there are no modular shapes; I can go anywhere because there are no boundaries demarcating units. At this point it is a bit stultifying having such freedom. I believe I'll get to the same place as I would have if I had done by traditional methodology. In the old way, you overlearn and then undo it. In this case I underlearned and slowly am building relationships between the notes.

And for some reason, I became stuck playing a few chords over and over. It was F sus2 and Am add9. I would try to introduce other chords but nothing was sounding right. I tried some chromatic chords like a Bm and I tried some diatonic chords. However I never found that third chord that I was looking for. But that's the fun of improvising.
ripock - I wish you and your wife a quick and symptom-free recovery from covid.

Your final sentence brought to mind an exchange I had last week with Barry Maz. After watching his informative but painful review of the Fender Avalon tenor, I PM-ed to ask the name of the tune he'd strummed for the sound sample. He responded by referring me back to his webpage, which (after just a bit of searching) answered my question. The strum began with Am7 (open), then A7 for a half-beat, followed by Bm, then up to C, F7, back to Bm, and ended the bar with F7. The first run in the chorus is really interesting because it goes Eb6, EbMaj7, Eb, EbMaj7, Eb6, each of which (as written by an accomplished artist) works from a barre at the 3rd fret with only the A string making the difference.

Correct me if I've taken the wrong side of the multi forked musical path but the possible connection to the tune in Barry's sound sample is that the shape nearest the nut for Am add9 is 2(B)0(E)0(C)2(A), and the first shape for F sus2 is 3(C)1(F)0(C)0(G).

ripock

you nailed the chords. I don't usually play chords with open strings because I don't like how they ring and you cannot really control them. However I found myself on the A# on the 6th fret and then I just happened to play down to the 3rd fret and figured what the hell. I may as well play some chords while I'm down here. How do you like that minor add9? It is a very fussy chord. Depending on how you attack the strum, it can either can a little odd but sweet or it can sound off

Patty

UU VIP
UU VIP
... I had had an infection and I was not feeling too spry but was just sleeping more and life was uninterrupted except for blowing my nose a lot. However my wife went to the pharmacist and got covid tests. She has covid which means I have it as well. When it was a cold/flu I was okay with just working with it, but now that I have covid I am taking a day off work.
Take the Covid seriously, and take good care of yourselves.

ripock

we will. For me it is just some stuffy nose. my wife's a little worse off. I just walked up the hill to our pharmacy and got her Plaxcovid or whatever it is called. I was slightly winded because the hills are so steep but otherwise fine. For me a bad day with covid is still better than a good day at work. We're vaxxed and boosted. I wonder how bad it would have been without us doing the minimum and getting our shots.

update: I just came from outside having a pipe to clear my nose. I checked on my wife and she is zonked out on her recliner which is a good sign because she is very sensitive and she hasn't been sleeping well because of the clogged nose. So I'll be returning to work and everything appears to be fine. I'll keep my eye peeled because a young coworker on my team died from Covid last year.

Last edited: