n00b in the Bay Area

Fueco

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new here, and new to the ukulele. I actually just ordered my first uke, and it should be coming in a couple of days. I've been wanting to get a musical instrument for a long time, as I haven't played one since 5th grade or so (I played clarinet and violin).

I chose the uke because of the compact size and that I like the sound it makes. My other choice would be a set of bagpipes, and those are too cumbersome to carry around on my bike.

I just visited Hawaii for the second time. I did a race there called the Ultraman World Championships (crazy ultra-distance triathlon over three days on the big island). The island spirit always calls to me, and my dream is to perhaps one day move there.

Anyway, I'm into ultra-distance sports, rock climbing, hiking, SCUBA, photography; and I work as a graphic and web designer.

-Mike from Sunnyvale, CA

Hey all,

I'm new here, and new to the ukulele. I actually just ordered my first uke, and it should be coming in a couple of days. I've been wanting to get a musical instrument for a long time, as I haven't played one since 5th grade or so (I played clarinet and violin).

I chose the uke because of the compact size and that I like the sound it makes. My other choice would be a set of bagpipes, and those are too cumbersome to carry around on my bike.

I just visited Hawaii for the second time. I did a race there called the Ultraman World Championships (crazy ultra-distance triathlon over three days on the big island). The island spirit always calls to me, and my dream is to perhaps one day move there.

Anyway, I'm into ultra-distance sports, rock climbing, hiking, SCUBA, photography; and I work as a graphic and web designer.

-Mike from Sunnyvale, CA

Hi there! welcome to UU!! it just so happens that I too am a Noob, and also from the bay! as a matter of fact 20 years of my life was spent growing up on sunnyvale ave and el camino real in sunnyvale. what a coincidence! any how your gonna love it here. everyone's supper nice and very helpful, you should find all you need to know right here.
what kind of Uke did you order? look forward to your posts. have a great day.

Welcome to the UU.

It's a great place!!

I'm Gary. I live in SJ but work in Cupertino right on the border of Sunnyvale (Homestead High School). What did you order and from where?

All, thanks for the welcome...

I actually live a few blocks from where I went to Middle School, oddly enough (Peterson MS). I don't live in the same neighborhood I did growing up though.

I ordered a Lanikai LKP-T Koa Tenor "starter pack" from Guitar Center. I'd only been able to find the soprano ones from Lanikai locally in the places I looked. I have a few friends that are quite knowledgable, and even a few who play the ukulele pretty well. I'm hoping they'll fill my head with knowledge as well!

Greetings and welcome, glad you joined us. Glad you have some buddies that play.

Welcome and good choice with Lanikai, they make very nice ukes. I had the base model tenor that I should have never parted with....

Welcome Mike.. You're in a hotbed of ukulele activity. There are groups in Mtn. View, San Jose & Los Gatos not to mention Santa Cruz that are all open to you. Have fun!

Welcome Mike.. You're in a hotbed of ukulele activity. There are groups in Mtn. View, San Jose & Los Gatos not to mention Santa Cruz that are all open to you. Have fun!

What's in Los Gatos? I grew up in LG. I had no idea. Any links?

The Los Gatos group would be more practical than Santa Cruz, methinks. I'll have to check them out once I've actually got my Lanikai in my hands! The impatience of ordering stuff online!! :p

The Los Gatos group would be more practical than Santa Cruz, methinks. I'll have to check them out once I've actually got my Lanikai in my hands! The impatience of ordering stuff online!! :p

Like I said on FB, I have extras. I can bring one if the meet up is before your uke gets here.

If one has not yet visited UCSC (Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz) you haven't yet been to one of the most amazing ukulele events in the world. There are meetups, there are jams....then there is the UCSC. Part concert, part play along, part lesson, part social hour, part food and drinks, part mingling with ukulele royalty. It is like nothing else and is good fun for all.

Cool, I'll have to look into that as well. Another friend is pondering getting a ukulele as well. I may have to get him to learn along with me. Suffering is always better with company, eh?

My Lanikai is currently in Sparks, NV. I suspect it'll get into the shop Monday or Tuesday. I was hoping to have it for the weekend, but I guess that's the price one pays for shopping so close to Christmas.

My uke is at the shop! I get to go pick it up after work. Happy Monday to me!

The saga continues... Uke was backordered AGAIN (they mis-shipped the first time around and sent me a microphone). My replacement should ship tomorrow to get here Friday... Then I can rock.

Also bought tix to the Jake Shimubukuro show in Santa Cruz on 2/14. Anyone else going?

The saga continues... Uke was backordered AGAIN (they mis-shipped the first time around and sent me a microphone). My replacement should ship tomorrow to get here Friday... Then I can rock.

Also bought tix to the Jake Shimubukuro show in Santa Cruz on 2/14. Anyone else going?

Wow who did you order this uke from?? sounds crazy waiting that long...

Top Bottom