Nail filing convert?

My thumbnails have a tendancy to rip right at the nail/skin join, starting in the corner. I've tried superglue (VERY temporary), clear nail polish (nah). I was thinking that what I need is micro-scale fiberglass cloth (or similar) - a tight weave that I could lay over the split and then superglue down. The nails on my index and middle finger are fine and I can't use my ring finger or pinkie on my right hand because of damage from a bicycling accident that happened decades ago.
try cutting a small piece out of a tea bag and then use nail glue (superglue). Works great for me.

My thumbnails have a tendancy to rip right at the nail/skin join, starting in the corner. I've tried superglue (VERY temporary), clear nail polish (nah). I was thinking that what I need is micro-scale fiberglass cloth (or similar) - a tight weave that I could lay over the split and then superglue down. The nails on my index and middle finger are fine and I can't use my ring finger or pinkie on my right hand because of damage from a bicycling accident that happened decades ago.

When you get to this level of problems, its time to visit a nail salon and have the ladies reenforce your nail with either acrylic or gel. I have acrylic reenforced nails for fingerpicking and I visit the nail salon every 2 months or so to have them refill or replace the old nails that are growing out.

In the early part of my adult life, I was an aircraft mechanic. So I have a long habit of very short nails.

I stick with regular drugstore type clippers, The best ones are US made "Trim" brand. Clip well, and have a small file that flips out. I cut when I get enough white nail for the clippers to catch. Then I follow up with a diamond dust nail file. Victorinox has a very well made clipper, but the blades are straight, doesn't work for me.

One tip, with my all nylon strings, nail clippers work fine as a string cutter.

When I was ordering strings from Strings By Mail, I ordered their glass file. Such a nice finish. As a former cellist, I can't stand having my nails grow at all. I doubt it will ever change, so I hope it doesn't ruin my chances of being better at fingerstyle. I am working on it every day again. I don't know why I set it aside. I think it's harder to learn than it was before.

When I was ordering strings from Strings By Mail, I ordered their glass file. Such a nice finish. As a former cellist, I can't stand having my nails grow at all. I doubt it will ever change, so I hope it doesn't ruin my chances of being better at fingerstyle. I am working on it every day again. I don't know why I set it aside. I think it's harder to learn than it was before.
Currently working in "20 Practice Routines for Fingerstyle Ukulele" by Powis.

In the early part of my adult life, I was an aircraft mechanic. So I have a long habit of very short nails.

I stick with regular drugstore type clippers, The best ones are US made "Trim" brand. Clip well, and have a small file that flips out. I cut when I get enough white nail for the clippers to catch. Then I follow up with a diamond dust nail file. Victorinox has a very well made clipper, but the blades are straight, doesn't work for me.

One tip, with my all nylon strings, nail clippers work fine as a string cutter.
The glass file is superior to clippers! You'll never go back.

I like some sort of coarser file for shaping once per week. Then I quickly sand my nails with a narrow strip of 500 grit sandpaper each day before playing. The sandpaper wears down, so you have sections with less grit for buffing. This fixes the little nicks you get throughout the day.

Last edited:
Ever try one of the diamond coated nail files? Really smooth, fast, and last a long time. I also have a larger one that's meant for knife sharpening but will work in a pinch, just a little thick to manuever.
I have tried that kind, but I find the glass is smoother. Like JoeStrummer posted, I micro-smooth with some high grit sandpaper too.

Edit: On the downside, I get a bit of a nails-on-chalkboard reaction to the glass file sometimes when the nails are pretty long.

My tools of choice from course to fine...
  • diamond file for shaping, if I've been lazy with my maintenance
  • nail buffer block with 4 sides of varying grit, starting at 100, 180, then some unspecified number and finally bare foam. This is great for regular maintenance, as I can work my way up to...
  • 600 grit sand paper.

What I like about the block and sand paper are that they're not rigid, so I can work my nails in all directions with no pain or chalk-boardiness (@Neil_O ). I like to file and sand side to side first, or percent to my fingers, then end kinda up and down / front to back, or in line with my fingers, to try and simulate the stroke of my nail off the string.

1000019664.jpg

try a glass file, if you haven't already... seriously.
Second this! Glass files are so efficient! It's much easier to keep left hand nails short using glass files and shapes right hand nails so quickly. Just a few passes. Emery board/sand paper to then further fine tune the right hand nails.

I used a metal file before and it was much slower. My 2 cents.

I've been meaning to try growing out and shaping my nails. I seem to remember my intentions right after chewing off a nail and spitting it out.

Glass files, huh? I’ve always been a Revlon emery board fan, but may have to try a glass file. This many UU members can’t be wrong.
My teacher endorsed glass files too. I have yet to be converted (because I hate filing my nails, regardless of tool utilized)

Glass files, huh? I’ve always been a Revlon emery board fan, but may have to try a glass file. This many UU members can’t be wrong.
I’ve got a glass file in my Strings By Mail cart for the same reason!

Top Bottom