New and not knowledgeable and looking for help

virginia@clearout

I am cleaning out my childhood home and found what looks like a kamaka ukulele. Can anyone help with opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1443.jpg
    IMG_1443.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 43

ploverwing

Duck Wrangler and Rabbit Herder
Staff member
UU VIP
Welcome to UU! I know nothing about vintage ukes - but lots of people here do! Hopefully, some will chime in with some questions and suggestions.

bbkobabe

Who knows? Someone will probably take it off you hands and fix it and love it... probably worth at least the cost of a tank of gas! Maybe 4 tanks...

It's all good!

stevejfc

Welcome virginia! Indeed, it looks like a Kamaka Pineapple. Depending on the year made and condition it could. be worth several hundred $. Is there a label inside the sound hole? If so, what color is the label and what does it say?

OP
OP
V

virginia@clearout

Indeed it does have something inside. Looks like is says pineapple. Thanks for the informtion.

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 17

Neil_O

Bump, UU members. I'm eager to find out more!

rainbow21

This must be one of the very early Kamaka pineapple ukuleles that Sam Kamaka made. Two sources to inquire further with are The Ukulele Guild of Hawaii and Shawn Yacavone at The Ukulele Friend (https://ukulelefriend.com/contact-us/).

From wikipedia:

In 1927, Samuel Kamaka made a new design of ukulele, which produced a more mellow sound than that of a normal figure-eight shaped ukulele.[4] His friends are said to have commented that this new ukulele looked like a pineapple, and one of Samuel's friends, an artist, painted an image of a pineapple on the front of the new ukulele. The new shape immediately became popular, and in 1928 Kamaka was awarded a patent on the pineapple ukulele.