New Bass Uke Day - Hadean Hofner/Beatle Bass Uke

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been eyeballing the Rondo.com Hadean Hofner style bass uke for a while, but because I already have a very similar solid body modified for me, I couldn't justify spending $240. Mine has poly strings and is my go-to recording bass for adding the bass track to the leader of my group uke/singing tracks she does of our songs, that I upload to my site for the rest of the members to practice with.

Since I started playing bass uke 8 years ago, I preferred the Road Toad Pahoehoe black strings, but over time I found that poly strings take too much time to settle in, requiring restringing too often, plus they all get sticky in somewhat humid weather, so I've been replacing them with Kala/Galli 21" and 23" flatwound nylon core. Because my Hofner style sounds so good for recording with the Pahoehoe, I didn't want to change them.

Early this month while surfing the Rondo website, I saw a blem on sale for $170, so I decided to buy it for gigging with flatwounds and only use my custom Hofner style with poly string for recording. It arrived and I'm very happy, can't even see where the blem is. I added the flatwounds, replaced the all black knobs with pearl capped ones, to which I added a black dot, chrome Hofner style tailpiece, chrome and pearl tuners, a pearl truss cover and ivory strap buttons. The bridge is floating and with the adjustment screws, the intonation is pretty good. I'm calling it Hadeaner (the other is Hofnelele).

Hadeaner 1024.jpg

Rondo Hofner style.jpg

Hofnelele done 1024.JPG

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Well done! :worship: :cheers:

When I changed the strings, I also cut apart the saddle, as I have talked about in the past because the E string amp volume was low, but now the A string volume is low. Luckily I have a couple more of the pickup assemblies and will see if those are better.

Congrats, it looks really cool. I bet Paul McCartney would dig it!

I'd love to hear a clip.

How does the floating bridge work. You have a piezo pickup in it. and moving the bridge to adjust it could damage the pickup wire.

How does the floating bridge work. You have a piezo pickup in it. and moving the bridge to adjust it could damage the pickup wire.
I do have to be careful adjusting the bridge, but so far after adjusting it, the intonation is very good with the flatwound strings.
I'd love to hear a clip.
This is the only clip I have.

I've been eyeballing the Rondo.com Hadean Hofner style bass uke for a while, but because I already have a very similar solid body modified for me, I couldn't justify spending $240. Mine has poly strings and is my go-to recording bass for adding the bass track to the leader of my group uke/singing tracks she does of our songs, that I upload to my site for the rest of the members to practice with.

Since I started playing bass uke 8 years ago, I preferred the Road Toad Pahoehoe black strings, but over time I found that poly strings take too much time to settle in, requiring restringing too often, plus they all get sticky in somewhat humid weather, so I've been replacing them with Kala/Galli 21" and 23" flatwound nylon core. Because my Hofner style sounds so good for recording with the Pahoehoe, I didn't want to change them.

Early this month while surfing the Rondo website, I saw a blem on sale for $170, so I decided to buy it for gigging with flatwounds and only use my custom Hofner style with poly string for recording. It arrived and I'm very happy, can't even see where the blem is. I added the flatwounds, replaced the all black knobs with pearl capped ones, to which I added a black dot, chrome Hofner style tailpiece, chrome and pearl tuners, a pearl truss cover and ivory strap buttons. The bridge is floating and with the adjustment screws, the intonation is pretty good. I'm calling it Hadeaner (the other is Hofnelele).

Hadeaner 1024.jpg

Rondo Hofner style.jpg

Hofnelele done 1024.JPG

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
WOW!!!! Really nice uke bass!! Didnt even know it existed. Was checking their website but its OOS.... I hope they'll have it in stock some time in the future, would love to get one.

Where did you get ivory strap buttons? Or are they iveroid?

Mike,

You changed so much on that beautiful bass that we’ll change something also and just call you Paul. Kohan McCartney Paul.

Hi. I just received this Hadean Beatle bass as a gift, and am wondering what sort of case will fit it? The bass is too long for my tenor and baritone cases. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Top Bottom