New builder

cratitan

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to ukulele building so please excuse any incorrect terms used.
I currently play a standard mahogany laminated tenor, in a group of 23 similar minded retirees.
I am by hobby a very experienced model boat builder, and have been reading about different timbers, and their effects on sound and have decided a build boat paddle tenor.
But
I would like it to have a curved back and curved sides.
Do the experienced members here have any strong views about making the back and sides from two different woods, mahogany and walnut in 12 mm strips like you would form a boat Hull, I thought 4 mm timber would be good to steam bend over removable internal formers, gluing once shape has been set, or does it need to be thicker.
Sound board from 4 mm walnut, from pieces 75 -100 wide, with a fret cut pattern sound hole
Experienced comments would be appreciate.

Jo Dusepo is a member of UU, and she'd be the one I think would be best placed to answer any questions you may have. It's been a while since I've seen a post by her, but maybe you can find contact info on her website:

The most important part of the uke body is the top aka: sound board. The wood type, thickness, the way it's braced and how it sits on the side kerfing and glue all affects the sound. Not to mention the bridge and the bridge backing.

The back reflects and vibrates adding to the projection and sound. Usually thicker than the top. Also has bracing.
The sides need to be stiff and strong enough to support the top and back. They contribute the least to the overall sound.

You might want to get "The Uke Book Illustrated: Design and Build the World's Coolest Ukulele" for a better explanations.

I'm sure there must be others available to help you out. Best of luck with your project. Sounds fun.

Welcome to UU. I hope to see some of your work posted here!

Hi, I’m new to ukulele building so please excuse any incorrect terms used.
I currently play a standard mahogany laminated tenor, in a group of 23 similar minded retirees.
I am by hobby a very experienced model boat builder, and have been reading about different timbers, and their effects on sound and have decided a build boat paddle tenor.
But
I would like it to have a curved back and curved sides.
Do the experienced members here have any strong views about making the back and sides from two different woods, mahogany and walnut in 12 mm strips like you would form a boat Hull, I thought 4 mm timber would be good to steam bend over removable internal formers, gluing once shape has been set, or does it need to be thicker.
Sound board from 4 mm walnut, from pieces 75 -100 wide, with a fret cut pattern sound hole
Experienced comments would be appreciate.
You’ve picked the right time to start your career as a Uke luthier. There’s never been greater interest or a larger market.

Top Bottom