New Fence and thin sides

Timbuck

Reaction score
I made this new bandsaw fence out of a scrap piece of worktop and MDF
I have been using a large heavy iron angle plate for the job but I was getting a bad back lifting it onto the saw table...Its a magnetic type with rare earth magnets (can't spell neomidium) to hold it down and a simple cam to release it..some one else on the forum here made one a few weeks back but I cant remember who..anyway I thought it was a good idea so now I've got one...I gave it a try out today and got some excellent results...Using my new veneer cutting Tuff bandsaw blade I managed to resaw slices off at .081" (could have got thinner);)thats 7 per inch and the sawn finish is so good that i could put them straight in the bender if I wanted...Here are some pics.

Last edited:
Looks tremendous. Could you pls put the video on Youtube? I can't access it because FB locks me out.
Miguel

Do you have any bandsaw drift to compensate for Ken or is that just a case of setting up the thing properly in the first place?
Max

Awesome! If you're looking for work, I've got a few things that I'd love to have sliced up on a saw like that :)

Thanks Ken. My cheap bandsaw doesn't have all those adjustments and the thrust bearing is shot and needs replacing. Watching the vid has made me realise the importance of the latter. Also I will readjust to get the blade in the centre of the wheel. That seemed counter-intuitive to a novice so must be right!
Max

very impressive finish on the sides your blade must be something special.

Impressive stuff. Nice photography too. In your video where you're cutting 12/4 stock, wouldn't it better to reduce the height of your fence to bring the guides closer together? I have a tall fence like yours too but I screw a shorter fence(maybe 4" high) onto the tall fence for cutting shorter stock. The short fence is thick enough to where the top guides will clear it without interference. Good tip on the shim too BTW.

Impressive stuff. Nice photography too. In your video where you're cutting 12/4 stock, wouldn't it better to reduce the height of your fence to bring the guides closer together? I have a tall fence like yours too but I screw a shorter fence(maybe 4" high) onto the tall fence for cutting shorter stock. The short fence is thick enough to where the top guides will clear it without interference. Good tip on the shim too BTW.
Yes you're right Chuck....Ill be making a couple of shorter fence pieces later when I find some better material than than the MDF.
*EDIT* Just to keep chuck happy I went back in the worshop and I stuck a 4" high fence on the back side of the 8" fence, and while I was there I got a bit of Maple and a skate bearing and I made one of those thingies that keep the workpiece in place while sawing.;)

Last edited:
I used that set up video too Ken and it was like night and day afterwards. I also found that the thin zero clearance base you have makes a big difference to the quality of the cut. Is that the Fastcut blade you have? I have one but have not fitted it yet. Keeping it fresh to resaw some 8inch quarter sawn oak for a 000 guitar. Bob

Top Bottom