New Finger Plane

BuzzBD

Reaction score
I have been making finger planes for several years now. They are not hard to make, but they can be highly variable in how well they work, so I have been gradually tweaking my design. This is the best yet.

Brad

I have been making finger planes for several years now. They are not hard to make, but they can be highly variable in how well they work, so I have been gradually tweaking my design. This is the best yet.

Brad
Brad- Nice! How come we did not get nice ones like that on Kauai a couple of years ago? Hope you're doing great and Have a wonderful Holiday Season.-Bob G.

It looks great, but does it need to be that complex? What's up with some wood and a wedge you just tap with a hammer? 🤔

Hey Bob, thanks and Mele Kalikimaka to you and Anne. I will go into production mode and they will be coming to our next meeting. Looking forward to seeing you and the group then!
Brad

Cute little thing!

And I would want a dial to adjust the iron as well... no more wedges and mallets for adjusting... that is so old school!

It looks great, but does it need to be that complex? What's up with some wood and a wedge you just tap with a hammer? 🤔
No they certainly don’t have to be. But I make archtop instruments and I have a full set of Ibex planes, the LMI cast bronze one, an assortment of small block planes and a whole bunch of ones I have made. What I have learned is that minor changes can make a huge difference in how they perform. I added the brass sole because some of my early all wood ones are wearing on the bottom from carving hard maple mandolin backs. Plus I like the feel of the extra mass the brass provides. I have found that wood slots for the wedge hold much better than the brass pins that are commonly used. And the screw blade adjuster is so much more precise than a hammer.
Brad

Brad
That sounds like a medical device. : )

Top Bottom