New John S. Kinnard Tenor Brazilian Rosewood/Bearclaw Sitka Spruce (First set of pics

dtikim1

Reaction score
This review is a little delinquent. I had meant to post this review last week but my work schedule got a bit hectic and this is the first chance that I've had some time to collect my thoughts. I previously posted a few pics of this ukulele while it was in production, and will post the final product at the end of this review. I'll soon post a sound byte when I've got a bit more time to figure out how to do it, but trust me it sounds as fabulous as it looks. Well on to the specifics:

Beautiful Brazilian Rosewood back and sides with Side Sound Port
Sitka Bear-claw Spruce top
Slotted Headstock
Abalone Rosette
Mahogany neck with dual Carbon Fiber support rods
Series Three Curly Koa binding with Black/White purfling
Matching Curly Koa tail strip
Ebony Custom faceplate with inlayed MOP Logo
Ebony fingerboard and bridge
Black side markers
Bone nut and saddle
13 frets to body
Slot head with gold Gotoh machine tuners
Tweed hard case
Southcoast ML-SW Strings (Medium Gauge Linear Set w/smooth wound Basses)
L.R. Baggs 50 Ukulele Pick Up

Workmanship as expected of a John S. Kinnard is flawless. The finish has no pits and is as smooth as silk. I was expecting it to sound loud and blaring in your face, but to the contrary. The sound and tonality even at this early stage of its life is like a well aged wine with a beautiful bouquet and finish. From the first strum the clarity of note and chordal separation are amazing. I am waiting in anticipation to see what this beautiful ukulele will sound like when it fully matures and opens up. If it sounds this good now, I can only imagine. John S.Kinnard Ukuleles keeps getting better and better. Not much more can be said, except that this ukulele is a GEM; IMHO this ukulele ranks up there in the Stratosphere along with the fine instruments of the other premier luthiers out there. Suffice to say, you all know who the premier luthiers are. John S. Kinnard is truly a Master of his craft.

I ran across a problem and it just may be me, but I could only upload 5 photos at a time. I will the pics in 2 separate additions to this thread

Attachments

• IMG_6031.jpg
    IMG_6031.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_6030.jpg
    IMG_6030.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6029.jpg
    IMG_6029.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6028.jpg
    IMG_6028.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6027.jpg
    IMG_6027.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6021.jpg
    IMG_6021.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6023.jpg
    IMG_6023.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6024.jpg
    IMG_6024.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6025.jpg
    IMG_6025.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 49
Even more pictures. This is the final set for now. Thanks for reading...

Dennis Kim

Attachments

• IMG_6016.jpg
    IMG_6016.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6015.jpg
    IMG_6015.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6012.jpg
    IMG_6012.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6008.jpg
    IMG_6008.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6007.jpg
    IMG_6007.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 45
Congratulations, it is beautiful! I have 2 John S. Kinnard ukes and agree with you that he is a master craftsman.

Mitch

Congrats Dennis. Spruce and BRW sounds like a fantastic combo! Would love to hear a sound sample

Congrats Dennis. Spruce and BRW sounds like a fantastic combo! Would love to hear a sound sample
I will post a sound sample, hopefully in 2 weeks when my travel schedule has returned to normalcy...lol

Also need to figure out how to do it. Have not recorded before. But will do some experimenting.

Very cool, the day that spruce opens up is amazing. My rosewood and spruce JSK took about a week of really solid playing and then it one day there was a complete sweetening of the tone and now it's just beautiful. I'm sure it still will open more but there seemed to be a point where suddenly is was there and its a pretty cool moment...

He's got one of those Blue Yeti microphones so that will do the trick. :)

The uke sounds pretty darn good.

Looks really great! A nice combination of modern and old aesthetics. The typography on the headstock reminds me of the Johnny Marvin Tenor Ukes made by Harmony.

Awesome ukulele! I have a Kinnard that I received about 7mo ago and it is truly amazing.

I have been able to play some of the recent Kinnard Ukes and really enjoy the balanced sound and the quality feel. Not had the chance to see or play a Brazilian though, what a beautiful instrument. I'll have to call Kevin and John and see if more wood is available.

Thanks for the pic's and description.

I have been able to play some of the recent Kinnard Ukes and really enjoy the balanced sound and the quality feel. Not had the chance to see or play a Brazilian though, what a beautiful instrument. I'll have to call Kevin and John and see if more wood is available.

Thanks for the pic's and description.
I know that they have one more set of Brazilian Rosewood left. I will be posting a sound clip soon; its just that I've been a little lazy and have not gotten around to it yet...lol

I know you'll enjoy that! Everything I've seen/played from Kinnard (now about 10 ukes) has been great. One day I'll have one for little ole me.

Top Bottom