New Kanile'a 6 string!!!

Coconut Willie

Reaction score
Just got my new Kanilea 6 sting uke about 2 weeks ago!! Here are the required pics, sorry if they are not real good, this taking and uploading pictures is all new to me!!

Now for the review......
This uke was made 7/2010 in Hawaii. The body is all koa wood that was upgraded to the deluxe style which contains 50% curly koa wood. Hand crafted in Hawaii. There are no picups and no electronics. The neck is mahogany and has a rosewood fretboard. The finish is the gloss UV and it looks beautiful. There are no marks, dings, nicks, etc. The uke is a tenor and has grover tuners.
This uke fits my style 100% which is strumming. The sound is full, rich and the level of sound is quite lloud. No doubt that this uke will be heard when played with others. So far there is nothing that I do not like or am dissapointed about.
The uke is solid, well built and there is no doubt that it will last a life time. I had some initial questions and contacted Kanile'a directly via email and Kristen responded right back and explained and answered all of my questions. I did not purchase this uke from Kanile'a but from Bounty Music located in Maui, Hawaii. I dealt with Paul W. and he along with his staff were great in also answering all of my questions. Also, Paul came down in his price to be very competitive with other dealers. I got the uke, a hard case, humidifier and an extra set of strings.
I currently own a Kamaka HF-3 and the sound is completely different. The Kanile'a uke came with aquila strings with the C string doubled with one octive difference and the A string is also doubled, again with one octive difference. One of the A strings is a wound string which really adds to the rich sound.
Again, I am thrilled to have been able to buy this awesome uke and playing it is not much different from the Kamaka except you need to press a little harder on the doubled strings.

Attachments

• Kanilea.jpg
    Kanilea.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Kanilea2.jpg
    Kanilea2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 34
  • kanilea3.jpg
    kanilea3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 43
  • kanilea5.jpg
    kanilea5.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 43
Wow congratulations Coconut Willie! That is one purty 'uke! I've never tried out a 6 string Kanile'a, but I'd assume it'd have the nice full sound that all of their instruments have. I was just on Maui this past weekend and paid a visit to Bounty. Lots of eye candy there!

Congrats!!!! Oh man that is a BEAUTY!!! Now I want one too!!!! :iwant:

Last edited:
That sure is pretty. Congrats.

Very Nice, a friend of mine is expecting a Kamaka 6-string direct from Kamaka, can't wait to see and play it.

I currently own a Kamaka HF-3 and the sound is completely different.

Congrats on the new ukulele! It's beautiful!

Can you describe how the sound is different from the sound of your Kamaka HF-3? Do you think the difference is mostly due to the two additional strings, or does the ukulele have a tone that differs from the tone of the Kamaka due to the way the ukuleles are constructed? I'm looking to buy a "K" ukulele and I'm considering a 6-string or 8-string, so I'd love to hear you talk more about the differences in sound. Thanks!

Top Bottom