New KoAlanas

Koalana will be laminate wood. It will be around half price of opio based on what Paul said during NAMM 2015.

I bought a KoAlana at the factory a couple of months ago and have been able to compare it to the KoAloha soprano and thought it sounded very good. Maybe within 90% of the KoAloha. Don't know where mine was built and I think they have changed their source factory since then...that being said, it's my go to soprano as of today...

Koalana will be laminate wood. It will be around half price of opio based on what Paul said during NAMM 2015.

This is what I have heard as well. Koalana will be import laminate line, Opio will be solid import line, then there's the standard HI made Koalohas.

Opposite of what I thought. Strike three!!!

We shall see.

Yes, that's another way to see the ongoing introductions of KoAlanas.

The irony us that this time, unlike the last two KoAlana introductions (of something like 2008 and 2012), this time Papa is going to compete with himself twice over in the lower-priced uke market: KoAloha Opio, and his brand new KoAloha pinewood solid (as noted in last week's thread; the one not sold at retailers and that has a 30-day warranty).

One thing for sure: KoAloha is bound and determined to sell inexpensive ukuleles, which is quite the opposite of, say, Kamaka (who won't even sell a "second" or blem)

Last edited:
Yes, that's another way to see the ongoing introductions of KoAlanas.

The irony us that this time, unlike the last two, Papa is going to compete with himself twice over in the lower priced uke market: KoAloha Opio, and his brand new KoAloha pinewood solid (as noted in last week's thread).

Doh!

Steve and Steve seem to think that KoAlanas are doomed for failure, so don't anybody buy one… except, there isn't a single example of KoAloha or Papa ever doing anyone any wrong. So, we *could* just sit back and watch them harp back and forth and get their jibes in, but I'll call them on it every single time, like I've done numerous times in the past. And, again, Cool Steve goes and suggests that Papa's making a bad business decision… for what reason? As I see it the KoAloha bunch are a happy and successful lot- so why the negativity? Yes, it's a forum where we all get to opine and lambaste away at our leisure, but at what point do we cry foul? I call it here. Just go and strum on one of your precious vintage Martins, Cool, or kayak somewhere, far away from here. Sorry, but I'm just invoking my right to differ, and with that said: aloha. -- Matt

Yes, I'm very negative regarding KoAlanas. Funny thing though, this Steve not only owns a KoAloha. He considers it the very best instrument he's ever played. This after playing nearly everything on the market.

Yes, I'm very negative regarding KoAlanas. Funny thing though, this Steve not only owns a KoAloha. He considers it the very best instrument he's ever played.

Which makes it all the more perplexing… You should sell it off. You don't deserve to own it. The complete opposite of aloha abounds in your KoAlana dismissal; they being a product of KoAloha. Sorry, but it disgusts me when anyone badmouths KoAloha in any way, shape, or form. They don't deserve the negative "publicity." Do you own a KoAlana? -- Matt

Which makes it all the more perplexing… You should sell it off. You don't deserve to own it. The complete opposite of aloha abounds in your KoAlana dismissal; they being a product of KoAloha. Sorry, but it disgusts me when anyone badmouths KoAloha in any way, shape, or form. They don't deserve the negative "publicity." Do you own a KoAlana? -- Matt

Matt, as stated in the thread about dust-ups on UU, the moment someone (Matt) invokes the word "you" and starts to judge others (us) rather than ukuleles, and tell others what "they" should do, things can quickly devolve. You have crossed that line and, while it would be easy to take the bait, I'll not. You'll just have to sulk by yourself, sorry.

I do love all my past KoAlohas, and my current slimline tenor. Great Ukulele and company, as you say, Steve.

Many past threads about the KoAlanas of the two prior introductions; for anyone considering a purchase, they may want to search and read them (or the first gen Opio, for that matter). Truly interesting reading, and perhaps past QC issues now resolved. Many UU friends have owned and commented on KoAlanas on those past threads.

Fred, that's interesting that you bought a KoAlana at KoAloha. You certainly have uke experience with many fine brands and models, so I trust your opinion about the percentage compared with The flagship model. If you bought it only a couple months ago, is it not the newest model? As you say, from the latest source factory? Wait, Fred, I just re-read your post and you bought the KoAlana at the factory, maybe you did not mean KoAloha Oahu, but instead the factory in Thailand (?).

Last edited:
I wonder what this means for the future of the Opio line. I never played a Koalana, but I have an Opio Soprano and love it. Will both lines coexist? What role will each have in the pecking order?
it will be interesting to see the pecking order, especially with the solid pine uke introduction mentioned in a thread from a week ago (sorry, don't know the name of that model, the pine one; I think, someone said it will be made in Hawaii as opposed to the Thailand factory).

Eqt2010, I see your point about the Pricing from the UU NAMM 2015 video. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh, Steve: Check out the familiar face, drinking coffee and talking to Brian from KoAloha in the background of this video. Peter Hix!

Last edited:
the new KoAlana ukuleles are built in Indonesia...Java if not mistaken.....
they had problems with the ones from Thailand a few years ago.........

btw the Opio ukes are built in Thailand in a new humidity controlled building...

Last edited:
It appears to me that Pops is building the Ao soprano under the Uke SA brand as a personal project separate from Koaloha to see if he can make a lower priced made in Hawaii uke. Clearly this model is very different than the Koaloha models in terms of design and marketing with direct sales from Uke SA. I bought one because I liked the idea of the project and I like what I got. Not something that might appeal to a typical Koaloha customer but targeted at new uke players who want a nice uke at a reasonable price for something handmade by a skilled maker in Hawaii. I notice that he even removed the crown design on the bottom of the fretboard that he had on the prototype. More power to him...

Yup. I'm a terrible guy. I don't deserve this beautiful instrument. Anybody want to buy a heavily used KoAloha KCM-00 Concert? I'm selling it.

IMG_0092 (1).jpg
Since this photo, I've switched the tuners for gold Gotoh UPTs with amber buttons.

What a weird attitude to have.

It is perfectly okay for anyone to have a negative opinion of something that another person loves. That's life. I am always suspicious of anyone who tries to shout down other viewpoints for the simple reason that they don't jive with their own opinions. Debate can and should be had on any topic in the world. If you have data or other evidence, bring it to the table. But to say "I love ______ thing and you disgust me because you do not agree" is absolutely not in the spirit of aloha.

While I don't agree myself, there is every possibility in the world that someone might have a legitimate reason to think Koaloha is terrible. Life is a chaotic imperfect place. As they say, s--t happens.

I thought I explained my weird attitude in that KoAloha "has never done anyone wrong." That was my point. Last time I checked Papa KoAloha wasn't a thing, he's a person. I've never heard a single instance of anyone, ever, getting burned by the wonderful folks at KoAloha. Has anyone? I've been around these parts for five years, and in so far as I know, every single person who has gotten a defective uke has been taken care of more than generously. Seeing as how no one from KoAloha participates here, I took it upon myself to stand up for them. That's a great looking uke, Steve! In my parts busting balls is fun. Sorry for the "you" and "I" statements. My previous retort in the aloha thread was that that particular aspect is pretty much meaningless, at least in my opinion. Rest assured that I'm not sulking alone, too, I had a glorious night last night uking, drinking beers, and bantering back and forth with all these fine gentlemen. Here, outside Philly, the weather has been marvelous. I always get a laugh out of people who dish it, but can't take it. Haha. So, again, point me in the direction to where KoAloha burned someone, and I'll tip my hat. Until then, onward and upward, folks. ;) -- Matthew

Everyone is entitled t their opinion.

I value Steve's opinion because of his experience of playing so many Ukuleles and sharing his experiences.

Do I balance them with my research and own beliefs? Of course.

But value them, I do.

I am not. Traditional Hawaiian Ukulele kind of guy. But many are and might find this line exciting.

Top Bottom