New MB Up for Auction

Hey y'all, it's not that I don't understand paying a lot for a really good instrument. I do, and I have. But there is a huge difference between three thousand dollars and whatever this Ukulele is eventually going to sell for. And even money says that one or more of my three thousand dollar Ukes is a better instrument than the one being auctioned off. So, the value, if it's actually there, of this Uke is not as a musical instrument, but as something else. Like I said, a work of art, or a collectable. Whoever pays that much for that Uke had better be sure that it can be held and resold at a profit at a later time. Otherwise, the buyer is just throwing money away.

A willing seller and a willing buyer is what determines the worth. Everything else to do with justifying the sale in the minds of the buyer and seller is relevant only to the buyer and seller. We as bystanders can't hope to understand unless we feel the same way to the point of entering into a similar transaction.

If I had that much disposable income, it would be worth it to me to have one of his ukes. Just like the many folks buying cars at Mecum and such, a collector with money can buy what he/she wants and values.

I mean, to me, spending thousands of dollars on motorcycle is just nuts--they are zero appeal to me. To me. To me. If you buy a$15,000 motorcycles are you throwing money away? No, you are spending your money the way you wish. I am flying first class to Colombia in couple of weeks, and some people would feel the extra money that I spent (only a few hundred, but still) is throwing money away. If how you spend your money gives you meaning or pleasure, that is not a waste of money, IMHO.

Hey y'all, it's not that I don't understand paying a lot for a really good instrument. I do, and I have. But there is a huge difference between three thousand dollars and whatever this Ukulele is eventually going to sell for. And even money says that one or more of my three thousand dollar Ukes is a better instrument than the one being auctioned off. So, the value, if it's actually there, of this Uke is not as a musical instrument, but as something else. Like I said, a work of art, or a collectable. Whoever pays that much for that Uke had better be sure that it can be held and resold at a profit at a later time. Otherwise, the buyer is just throwing money away.
I have a Honda Civic for which I paid about $20,000. It gets me reliably (knock wood) from one place to another. Some people pay upwards of $100,000 for a car which, oddly enough, gets them from place to place, just like my car does. What is it about a $100,000 car that makes it worth five times as much as my car?

I have a Movado wrist watch that cost $300 when I bought it about 30 years ago. I could have paid thousands of dollars for a watch, but I didn't because mine tells the time as well as a $5,000 watch (and if not quite as well, we're talking milliseconds, about which nobody cares). There is clearly a market for $5,000 watches or the people who make them wouldn't make them. So what is it about a $5,000 watch that makes it more than ten times more valuable than my attractive, accurate, reliable Movado watch?

The thing is, different people value different things differently. There are people out there who are willing to pay an additional $80,000 for a car in order to have whatever it is about a $100,000 car that makes it worth $100,000. Whatever that is, it certainly isn't merely transporting someone from one place to another reliably. There are people out there willing to pay $5,000 for a watch in order to have whatever makes that watch worth $5,000. Whatever that is, it certainly isn't telling time, because of that was all that was wanted, there are cheaper ways to obtain it.

I have more than one Moore Bettah, and I think I'm a little crazy for spending $10,000 on an ukulele (for what it's worth, two of them were significantly less expensive and one was slightly more expensive). But they are the nicest instruments I have ever played, and being able to play them gives me great joy. Yes, my $1,200 Kamaka plays the notes and responds to strumming, as do my MBUs. Whatever it is that caused me to want to pay $10,000 for an MBU, it wasn't merely that it can make musical sounds when I pluck or strum the strings. I pay extra for the experience of playing these instruments (and being able to listen to them as I play them), just like the owner of a $100,000 car finds something other than being transported from one place to another that gives him or her joy during the experience of using it, in addition to whatever joy he or she gets from merely being transported from one place to another.

Almost everyone has something that they could have gotten the same function out of buying a different brand of that thing for a lot less. TVs and stereo systems come to mind. In the same way that some people aren't content to drive a Honda or aren't content to tell time with a Movado or a Timex, someone out there has a stereo system that would blow mine away. We all value some thing or another for the incidental pleasure they give us, even if there are less expensive alternatives for performing the same function.

This guitar is $120,000. https://www.martinguitar.com/guitar...html?cgid=limited-and-special-edition-guitars

While I'm sure the craftsmanship is superb, that guitar is ugly as sin. Chuck's ukes for $20k is a steal. Makes me sad that I'll never get to own one, but if a guitar can go for six times as much I'd say $20k probably isn't enough for the work he does.
You're correct, that thing is hideous. It's only a collector's item, no matter how good it sounds.

I mean, to me, spending thousands of dollars on motorcycle is just nuts--they are zero appeal to me. To me. To me. If you buy a$15,000 motorcycles are you throwing money away? No, you are spending your money the way you wish. I am flying first class to Colombia in couple of weeks, and some people would feel the extra money that I spent (only a few hundred, but still) is throwing money away. If how you spend your money gives you meaning or pleasure, that is not a waste of money, IMHO.
Flying 1st class is practical! You'll have less exposure to COVID.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." A cliché because it's true.

I like Chuck Moore's plainer ukuleles much more than I like his elaborate inlaid ukes. I really respect his talent and work as an artist and a craftsman. I admire the pieces he creates. He's got a great imagination and skill.

I'm quite sorry I wasn't able to acquire one of his tenors when he was making the plainer ones four or five at a time. I was able to play one briefly at a uke festival before COVID. It was a remarkable instrument. Comfortable to play with extraordinary sound. Beautiful to look at.

$20,000 is not outrageous for a fine instrument. And Chuck's are, arguably, considered the finest in the world.

It's a lot cheaper than the Bugatti Centodieci 1,600 HP Hypercar limited edition that has an MSRP $9.4 Million USD price tag. (And yes, there are more expensive, hand-built production cars out there.) Will your Honda Civic get you to work at 240 MPH? (A tune up costs as much as buying a Civic.) Though the over $4,000,000 USD Bugatti Chiron Super Sport has gone over 300 mph on a test track. (Which will suck down 50 US gallons of fuel in about 15 minutes at that speed.) If you're a multi-billionaire that's pocket change.

Prestige, bragging rights, keeping score, appreciation of owning fine things? Or, you just enjoy playing a wonderful instrument that is also a work of art.

My husband was at a relative's house watching a football game this afternoon and I texted him the link to the auction and said I have five hours to bid on this beauty! He said if you buy it will you sound like the guy in the video? I said no but the issue isn’t how I would sound playing it, it’s how much I would enjoy playing it.

kathy

Moreover, all of us could afford a MB if we wanted to. All we'd have to do is not waste our money on other things and waste it on boutique ukuleles. So what's the big deal?
Ehh even if lucky enough to earn the median income it'll be pretty tough to cut out 20k of waste!

So how much did it sell for? You used to be able to see the final sale price after the auction was over, but I don't see that now.

If I could play like Corey and Kalei I would certainly consider buying a Moore Bettah ukulele. Instruments are made to be played in my opinion.
The joy of high quality playing on a high quality instrument is pretty priceless.

I hope the new owner of the recent Moore Bettah has years of wonderful playing fun and enjoyment with the instrument that they share with others.

What I like about eye-popping auction prices on a beautiful handmade work of art such as this MB is what it says about the ukulele. Specifically, someone thinks so highly of the instrument that she/he is willing to pay X amount of $$$ to have what she/he thinks is the ultimate example of it.

Flying 1st class is practical! You'll have less exposure to COVID.
One would think… but the eating & drinking actually largely negates this. Having to go thru the same airport lines as everyone else also makes 1st class not as much of a risk reducer as one would think…. Chatted about this with an oncologist who had/is having to fly lots due to a relative receiving new lungs in 2020 (due to idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, not COVID).

Top Bottom