New member from the dark side

Thoades

Reaction score
Hi folks, I am a new ukulele player from the UK who has 'graduated' from the dark side of guitar and bass.

I have used a uke bass for a few years as a travel and camping companion but made the move to ukulele after RSI and arthritis has begun to limit my flexibility on guitar and I can cope with the ukulele much better.

Still distinctly a beginner but very much enjoying the journey so far - just getting past the point of the family shouting at me to stop playing that ****** thing, to actually playing a tune!!
Looking forward to reading through uke related posts and questions to help with my understanding of the instrument.

Welcome to UU, Thoades!
Just keep at it, you'll convince them eventually!

Welcome! I have arthritis too, and find the ukulele easier to play with it than I did the guitar. Can't always bend my fretting pinky joint well, but I can make some pleasing music and that is enough.

Hi Thoades, welcome to the forum! I don't know about "the dark side" comment. I guess there are a few Black Sabbath type rockers playing Guitar that might qualify for such a descriptor. But in general, I don't think of the Guitar as a "dark" instrument. Actually , quite the contrary. I love the bright, upbeat music of a flat top being picked just so. Tommy Emmanuel, Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Chet Atkins, and many others are my heroes, so to speak. Nothing dark there!

I am also a former guitar and bass player. Welcome to the party.

Hi Thoades, welcome to the forum! I don't know about "the dark side" comment. I guess there are a few Black Sabbath type rockers playing Guitar that might qualify for such a descriptor. But in general, I don't think of the Guitar as a "dark" instrument. Actually , quite the contrary. I love the bright, upbeat music of a flat top being picked just so. Tommy Emmanuel, Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Chet Atkins, and many others are my heroes, so to speak. Nothing dark there!
Hi George, it was just a lighthearted reference to the usual faux pas of mentioning other brands or instruments on other forums. But also that on guitar I tend to play blues or country on the melancholy side and down beat, whereas I seem to find it impossible so far to play anything gloomy on the ukulele, it is a very 'happy' sounding instrument!!

Welcome! You're in good company!! I'm a former guitar player turned ukulele player as well who's just picked up the bass and piano. All instruments are fun.

Welcome Thoades. You'll find many like-minded people here. Lot's of ukers who gave up guitar and bass for the uke. Many for the exact same reason you have.

Rock on!

Welcome Thoades. You'll find many like-minded people here. Lot's of ukers who gave up guitar and bass for the uke. Many for the exact same reason you have.

Rock on!
Thanks all for the welcome. I am finding it an exciting project this far.
When I bought my concert uke I struggled quite a lot for a year and didn't learn any more than C G and F, but after deciding that regular guitar was not as practical as it was, I started doing more research and bought a cheap (and a little nasty) tenor to try out the size. That extra few centimetres was like an epiphany and the decision to make tenor uke my main instrument was made!
I am now progressing well and able to string together more than a few songs.

Top Bottom