New OLD Uke Day!

Gmoney

Reaction score
I will soon have my little c1925 Martin 0 soprano back in my hands after some tender loving care by Jake Wildwood. I got this little uke in a trade on UU about a year ago. I traded a Mainland Tenor-length Pineapple for it.

The only real problem w/this little uke was that the bridge slots were gouged out by someone putting metal strings on it in the past & it was all but impossible to keep it strung. There are a couple of tight cracks on the back as well. I'd entertained the idea of getting the bridge replaced & even had obtained a bridge & ebony saddle material from Martin as a possible replacement.

Anyway, after observing Jake's handiwork restoring a wide range of instruments, I contacted him for the possibility of repair. Thankfully, he took it in & it is ready to come home! Details & pictures here:

http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com/2013/08/c1925-martin-style-0-soprano-ukulele.html

Can't wait to get this little beauty back!

Little beauty is right! Nifty pics of the repair, too. So glad it's coming home again.

That is EXACTLY what I want to look for when I get a Martin Style 0. I don't know why, but I'd really like one with wooden pegs. I would have totally traded a Mainland Tenor for that, too! Of course, I would have had to buy a Mainland Tenor FIRST, but I would have swung that deal if I had to!

Aloha Glenn,
Congrats to having your martin fixed....yes to me martins, if it sounds amazing, I would consider to do a refinish on them ...:) that's just me.....
did jake take an overall look on everything and the neck position too.... :)

Have pic's of the wreck it was before you fixed it up?

Wonderful to give these old guys a new life! Jake does wonderful work. Glad you had him rehab it for you. What a beautiful instrument, enjoy!

Have pic's of the wreck it was before you fixed it up?

Here's the main damage that I sent it to Jake to repair. As his blog post states, it was pretty much in playable shape otherwise w/the noted repaired & tight back cracks.

Bridge01.jpgMR5.jpg

The wallowed out bridge slots made it all but impossible to keep it strung.

Gmoney, I just noticed the "Aloha from Alabama!" in your signature. That makes three of us on UU from Alabama that I know of.

I Love my 20s Martin 0, and it had the same worn out bridge slots, though not quite as advanced a case as yours.
I like how Jake fixed it, unintrusive and ingenious. Mine was fixed in a different way.
attachment.php

attachment.php

the luthier found a piece of wood that very closely matched the grain and color of the bridge, and after planing down the top of the string hole area, glued a new top in place. If Jake's fix somehow doesn't hold up, this may be a more permanent solution.
After playing a wood peg martin, every other uke feels like it's made of cast iron! Have fun.

FYI, guys, the Martin I worked on also needed the other "usual necessary work" -- that being some fret reseating, a fret level/dress, and a quick setup. It was pretty playable as-is but the action was a tad higher than it needed to be and there was some buzzing on the frets in 1st position. Someone had used this thing with steel at some point which is why the slots seemed to have been torn out and also why there was so much fretwear (usually there's none on old ukes, though the frets may not be seated 100% as the wood ages and swells).

Great work, Jake. It's fun to see the rosewood powder fill process.

That's a great uke that will, unlike the one you traded for it, appreciate in time. I'm with Chris...that trade is what is referred to as a no brainier. Lol

I assume it has original tuners and such. Jake's photos of it make it look yummy!

Top Bottom