new snark tuners

My Snark is at least 5 years old and going strong, with maybe two battery changes.
I have had to glue the round pad on the clamp as it kept on coming off.
I also do not leave it on the headstock while playing...
forgot to mention that as well. I've had my snark for 5 years and I, too, never keep it on the headstock for longer than the tuning process and I only tune as needed which may be once a fortnight if my strings are settled in.

I haven't looked at the Peterson offerings in some time, since my snark is still working. I assume Peterson, like anything else, changes and updates over time. Last time I looked, I was just looking at the clip-on. I focused on Peterson because when I upgrade I upgrade. I don't believe in inching up little by little. So if I ever replace my snark I am going all-out and getting a top shelf tuner
The Peterson StoboClip HD tuner now sells for $70 USD on Amazon. I bought mine four years ago for $40.

The TC Polytune is $45 on Amazon.

forgot to mention that as well. I've had my snark for 5 years and I, too, never keep it on the headstock for longer than the tuning process and I only tune as needed which may be once a fortnight if my strings are settled in.
I used mine on 4 ukes and 4 guitars all with different necks and headstocks so it was adjusted and moved around a lot. I assume that's what wore it out over the years.

And you can buy them in multi-packs & stick one on each uke. I keep mine on the ukes right in their cases.
Yes it is small enough to keep permanently on the head stock!

That looks a lot better than the old design. Mine still functions thanks only to a combination of zip-ties and superglue.

View attachment 142286
OMG... mine looks exactly like this... same zip tie... and it's the same red color with some kind of "soft touch" coating that is rotting off. It feels all sticky now... Gross! I keep it in the garage for when I'm I'm changing strings or sanding on something or doing my own "setup" and I need a quick tune.

Actually, I have a black one also... also broken off in exactly the same place at the back AND with the lower foam pad missing... The guy at my local music shop gave it to me... Wow, I thought... really generous! It was broken within a few months... OK, so THAT'S why it was free!

I buy a lot of used ukes for my students, and the cases often have a tuner in them that the former owner left behind... That's how I ended up with the REVERB.com LT-21 that is currently my first option. Works pretty good I'd say... Cheap, too... Tunes both Bari's and standard tuning ukuleles. Lacks the metronome and up/down tuning center note options, but I never used those anyway.

And for those of you who made "Snarky" comments about never having broken one of these: Get off your couches and try taking it into a classroom full of 12 year olds and see how long it lasts!

Good to see Snark finally got the memo and is upgrading... I had written them off as a viable option.

And I'm tempted by the recharge option as well... I'm also tired of buying those stupid 2032's...

And you can buy them in multi-packs & stick one on each uke. I keep mine on the ukes right in their cases.
Be careful. Leaving a tuner on one spot on your uke can leave indented marks in the finish of the headstock. A few days is fine. A few weeks—not so much.

OMG... mine looks exactly like this... same zip tie... and it's the same red color with some kind of "soft touch" coating that is rotting off. It feels all sticky now... Gross! I keep it in the garage for when I'm I'm changing strings or sanding on something or doing my own "setup" and I need a quick tune.
And I'm tempted by the recharge option as well... I'm also tired of buying those stupid 2032's...

Yeah, the older Snark Super Tight All-Instrument tuners had a matte silicone(?) coating on them. I've been noticing that things with silicone handles and coating start to degrade after a couple of years. They get sticky and very gross. I had to toss a silicone hand exercise ball that got nasty.

I go through a lot of 2032 batteries, I can't imagine how many you go through with your classes. The big problem with rechargeable tuners and pickups is that you always forget to charge them up at the worst possible moment. Or the charge doesn't fully take.

I put a packet of two or 4 wafer batteries in my gig bag, just in case. (I of course decided last minute to take the hard case instead and I hadn't put the tuner in it.)

Now I have to find a place that takes lithium batteries to recycle. They can't be put in with Alkaline or Zinc Carbon batteries. If shorted or punctured, they can catch fire. THey need to go to a hazardous waste facility. Tape them up so they can't short out when they get low on charge.

Be careful. Leaving a tuner on one spot on your uke can leave indented marks in the finish of the headstock. A few days is fine. A few weeks—not so much.

Yeah, the older Snark Super Tight All-Instrument tuners had a matte silicone(?) coating on them. I've been noticing that things with silicone handles and coating start to degrade after a couple of years. They get sticky and very gross. I had to toss a silicone hand exercise ball that got nasty.

I go through a lot of 2032 batteries, I can't imagine how many you go through with your classes. The big problem with rechargeable tuners and pickups is that you always forget to charge them up at the worst possible moment. Or the charge doesn't fully take.

I put a packet of two or 4 wafer batteries in my gig bag, just in case. (I of course decided last minute to take the hard case instead and I hadn't put the tuner in it.)

Now I have to find a place that takes lithium batteries to recycle. They can't be put in with Alkaline or Zinc Carbon batteries. If shorted or punctured, they can catch fire. THey need to go to a hazardous waste facility. Tape them up so they can't short out when they get low on charge.
I've always wondered why people leave their tuners on their headstocks. It bugs me if I leave mine on. Good to know another reason to take it off, other than it looking tacky.

Silicone degrades with oil Our hands have natural oils. If the silicone isn't cleaned each time, the oils will cause it to naturally degrade.
I appreciate the heads up from you all - I was given a hard plastic Snark mini (which works great, though is a bit awkward with the angle), but thanks to you all, if there's another purchase it'll be a different brand.

New for 2022, rechargeable tuners. With a micro usb :ROFLMAO:

I’ve had two Snarks for a long, long time, I got one when I first started playing and liked it, so I bought another one for downstairs. I also have a an old Korg that I use on my instruments with thick heads. I never leave leave them attached when I play.
The instruction sheet (which no one ever reads) that comes with a Snark, tells you to put the tuner on long enough to get your instrument in tune, then remove it. There is a softener in the pads that may react with the finish on your instrument and mar it. I know of one fellow who had part of his "Martin" decal come off with the tuner. This goes for spring loaded capos as well. Not only do they look ugly, they can do damage to your instrument if left on. I usually clip mine to the mic stand if I'm performing.

Edited to say: I see this has already been mentioned. Maybe worth repeating. Maybe "ugly" is too strong a word. "Tacky" is quite accurate.

Looking at their website it seems that the Hz tuners are gone. I wanted one but when I ordered it had clicked on the wrong item and didn't notice until I received it. So if you want one I assume they will will be gone once stores sold their stock. Also it looks like the black super tight is now only for guitar and not all instruments any more. It is very confusing.

Just bought one of these that mounts with a screw in your tuning machine. I like having it out of sight but always available. We will see how long it lasts...View attachment 142395View attachment 142396

I just purchased one of these. Also has a metronome :)

I broke two Snarks (in my gig bag both times); decided they shouldn't be "disposable", and looked for something else. I've been using a UniTune from TC Electronic and it not only works great, it is built much better with a hinged steel clip so it lays (nearly) flat, with higher quality materials. It cost more than the Snark ($35), but considering I've only had to buy one so, it is a much better value! I also prefer the display on this vs. the Snark. It is brighter and easier to read, and honestly, I think it is more accurate.
1660084013776.png
I found it at the best price at Sweetwater, but they are also available through Amazon.

There was a deal on those TC last year...I didn't really care for it. I don't want any metal near my ukes if I can help it, and the spring clamp was stronger than needed imo, esp since it felt a little slippery.

I'll say again, those Oahu from HMS are just right. Chromatic/no modes, 440, simple on/off, small/light, fast, durable, easy/peasy.

There was a deal on those TC last year...I didn't really care for it. I don't want any metal near my ukes if I can help it, and the spring clamp was stronger than needed imo, esp since it felt a little slippery.

I'll say again, those Oahu from HMS are just right. Chromatic/no modes, 440, simple on/off, small/light, fast, durable, easy/peasy.
Just looked at this on TUS. Think I’ll try it out. The display might be a bit easier to read than on the D’Addario button tuner.

Last edited:

Never had an issue with slipping and the clip is rubber tipped. I actually like that it is stronger. But to each their own.

Never had an issue with slipping and the clip is rubber tipped. I actually like that it is stronger. But to each their own.
It wasn't the jaws that I found a bit slippery, but the flat, bare powercoated metal where you grip/grab it. If it we're a bit curved it prob would not spring forward if you happen to lose your grip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom