New Soprano: Ohana SK38 vs Kiwaya KS-1 vs Brüko #6?

Lalz

Reaction score
Ok, I'm thinking of getting a new soprano (long story, whole thread about it, haha).

I already have a Kala solid spruce top soprano: it sounds very good, very loud and bright, is perfect for jam sessions and I'm never getting rif of it because I love it to pieces. But I'm thinking the new one could have a mellower warmer more vintage sound for playing solo (the Kala is a bit bright and loud for that), and I could possibly tune one of them to D instead of C (not sure which one - convenience of same C tuning as others in jam sessions vs being able to play some old standards in D without stretching strings too much vs making soundboard "sing" more with D-tuning, etc).

My budget is of about 200 GBP, which I'll have to take some time to save up, so no particular rush.

I'm looking online at three models at the minute that seem similar in quality and all look very pretty in their own way:

- Ohana SK38: Plainsong told me about it on another thread and praises it in a few other ones, so it must be a good one. Love the "Martin" vintage look and dark colour of it (my other ukes are light-coloured hehe), it's all solid for a good price and so far I've liked all the Ohanas I've heard in the flesh

- Kiwaya KS-1: simple beautiful clean look, compensated saddle (maybe a way to have the C string be less overempowering?), and I love that it's a high-quality laminate, which makes it more resistant to humidity and temperature fluctuations, so I wouldn't have to store it in a case at all time when not playing it -> maybe a better go-to uke than a solid wood one.

- Brüko #6: also very good-looking, loving the lighter fretboard and the two-coloured headstock, also all solid and very well-priced. Video reviews I've seen of it make it sound a bit harsh but that could just be the recording equipment used. Handmade in Germany, which is good, although they seem to make tones of them at the same time rather than carefully making one at a time (but at this price range it doesn't really matter: it's still handmade!).

So I was wondering if people have tried these three ukes and been able to compare them? Which one do you reckon would have the highest quality and warmest least bright sound?

None of them are sold locally where I live so I'd have to order them online without trying them first. I had tried most other soprano models available in my local shops a while ago and hadn't found a good match (apart from the Kala I ended up buying and their lacewood soprano, which is also a spruce-top one so not really what I'm looking for right now).

Also, would you tune one of these to D and the spruce-top to C or vice versa?

A bit of a side question, but would the friction tuners that all of these three have prevent them from fitting into a regular hardcase?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh, another thing is that I used to do this thing on my previous laminate beater uke that I'd knock the soundboard a bit with my fingernail at times to make it sound a bit like a snare and add some rhythm to what I'm playing. So ideally, the new uke would need to not crack or break into pieces if I do that on it hehe

Lalou, in each case you are talking about instruments that are made in quantities at a time. To say Bruko "makes tones [sic] of them at the same time rather than carefully making one at a time" is a disservice to the craftsmanship that Herr Pfeiffer takes in the production of his ukuleles. I rather think that Herr Pfeiffer is extremely good and efficient at what he does and has earned my highest regards. I own both the Ohana sk-38 and a Bruko #6. I know nothing about the Kiwaya. The Ohana sk-38 has a warm, mellow sound with impressive volume and a prominent bass sound. The fretboard is a tad narrow at 1 5/16" and the neck a bit thin but I can adapt to most any ukulele. The Bruko #6 is brighter than the Ohana with equal volume to the Ohana and a jauntiness that is the essence of the Bruko sound. The Bruko is 1 6/16' wide at the nut and has a thick, ultra smooth, one piece maple neck. Both fantastic ukuleles but with quite different sounds. I'm convinced that the only true way to gauge the sound of a ukulele is to play it yourself. Good luck, the choice is yours.

Hmmmm... Some interesting choices.

To my taste:

The Ohana is the front-runner, especially since it's the SK38. I haven't gotten my hands on one, but I've played the SK25, PK25, the spruce top round back (can't remember the designation), and I own a SK21. I've found Ohanas to be very comfortable to play, and their QC is excellent. You can expect to feel the fret ends a bit, but other than that every one I've played has been well set up and great sounding. Highly recommended.

Bruko's are also very nice (I had a tenor for a short while) and probably better made than the Ohanas. I didn't like the neck shape as much -- my Bruko was a little thick in the neck for my taste. Also, while I'm sure the #6 will sound great, I'm not sure it will have the vintage pluckiness you're looking for.

Haven't played the Kiwaya, but lots of folks recommend them.

One last uke to consider: the Hamano H100. There are not a ton of them around (at least in the states), but they're excellent. (I'm re-habbing an old Favilla; if it turns out as good as I hope then I may put my Hamano on the market.)

Good luck with the search.

Bill's comments are right on.

And I forgot: no worries with friction tuners and cases.

Cheers.

Lalou, in each case you are talking about instruments that are made in quantities at a time. To say Bruko "makes tones [sic] of them at the same time rather than carefully making one at a time" is a disservice to the craftsmanship that Herr Pfeiffer takes in the production of his ukuleles. I rather think that Herr Pfeiffer is extremely good and efficient at what he does and has earned my highest regards.

Sorry, it came out wrong, I didn't mean it like that. They do seem very well crafted indeed. I meant more that sometimes when you hear the word "hand-made" you get this image of someone spending several days on one uke at a time, whereas the Brukos are made, well several at the same time. Doesn't mean they're not well-crafted. Actually the fact that they're hand-crafted is definitely a plus in comparison to the other models I'm considering, that's why I'd be willing to order one without trying it first in spite of not having seen any high definition video reviews of it.

I own both the Ohana sk-38 and a Bruko #6. I know nothing about the Kiwaya. The Ohana sk-38 has a warm, mellow sound with impressive volume and a prominent bass sound. The fretboard is a tad narrow at 1 5/16" and the neck a bit thin but I can adapt to most any ukulele. The Bruko #6 is brighter than the Ohana with equal volume to the Ohana and a jauntiness that is the essence of the Bruko sound. The Bruko is 1 6/16' wide at the nut and has a thick, ultra smooth, one piece maple neck. Both fantastic ukuleles but with quite different sounds. I'm convinced that the only true way to gauge the sound of a ukulele is to play it yourself. Good luck, the choice is yours.

Thank you very much, good to know that the Ohana has a warmer type of sound and the Bruko a brighter one. Cheers!

Thank you too for your input connor013. So things are weighting towards the Ohana at the moment.
I had never heard of the Hamano H100 before, quite exciting! I'll look for videos and reviews immediately!
Good to know about the tuners and case too :)

Anyone tried the Kiwaya KS-1?

The Kiwaya KS-1 is a very light-weighted ukulele with a solid, loud sound. For me, it has a mahagony-type sound, which appears distinct and clear to me, but by far not as sweet and warm like Koa, or not as sharp as maple and not as clean as spruce, respectively. This uke is a beauty because of its low weight. Still you have to qualify its sound yourself.

I can't tell much about the Ohana, but on the German ukulele board users were not satisfied about it, cause its vintage-style is more a reflexion of low quality. No vintage Martin looks and feels as bad as the Ohana (ok, Martin are the wrong competitors in this case, I just wanted to mention the wrong use of the term "vintage").

As a German I could tell a lot about Brukos of course. I'm a lover of their woods and craftsmenship, and they are so solid you could drive a tank over them. However, the sound is somehow special, you love it or you hate it. I own a custom Bruko and I need to learn to like the sound, but wood and quality is outstanding. Finally I love mine, but no others. You will need to play it to see whether you like it. But worth every cent anyway, even the seriel no.6.

Anyone tried the Kiwaya KS-1?

I have a Kiwaya KS-0, the thin brother of KS-1. It's sublime.

WS64 plays the KS-0 (not 1) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdcpFdMO-Y

Note that the KS-0 is a thinline travel uke, and has a less deep "voice" than the full soprano KS-1.

Ukeeku.com's review of KS-1 is here: http://ukeeku.com/2011/01/11/kiwaya-ks-1-full-review/

Elderly Music sells them, as does eBay store lucysukulele (I have purchased a Kiwaya from each smoothly, and they are both authorize Kiwaya dealers).

If you're into bells and whistles, fancy woods, Kiwaya is not for you. If you're into meticulous Japanese build (perfect fret edges, superb neck joint, etc.) from a shop with eight luthiers with outstanding sound, and are willing to pay for it, Kiwaya is a winner. It's a smaller group of ukulele players, as Kiwaya is a less common brand, overall. Kiwaya uses top woods (just not curly woods), and high end Grotoh Japanese tuners...the friction tuners are the best I have ever used.

http://takumiukulele.com/kiwayaukuleles.html

http://www.kiwaya.com/html/english/top.html

I have had email messages, in English, with Kiwaya Japan directly, and they are helpful, courteous, will answer all questions, and type replies in perfect English.

Last edited:
The Kiwaya KS-1 is a very light-weighted ukulele with a solid, loud sound. For me, it has a mahagony-type sound, which appears distinct and clear to me, but by far not as sweet and warm like Koa, or not as sharp as maple and not as clean as spruce, respectively. This uke is a beauty because of its low weight. Still you have to qualify its sound yourself.

Thanks! Interesting, do you think the KS-5 (thin koa laminate) would sound warmer than the KS-1? It's a little bit pricier though, slightly over my budget which is already stretched :-S

I can't tell much about the Ohana, but on the German ukulele board users were not satisfied about it, cause its vintage-style is more a reflexion of low quality. No vintage Martin looks and feels as bad as the Ohana (ok, Martin are the wrong competitors in this case, I just wanted to mention the wrong use of the term "vintage").

I don't really expect the Ohana to sound exactly like a vintage Martin though, but like a Ohana with the Martin looks. I like how Ohana ukes sound generally, so I don't see it as a problem.

As a German I could tell a lot about Brukos of course. I'm a lover of their woods and craftsmenship, and they are so solid you could drive a tank over them. However, the sound is somehow special, you love it or you hate it. I own a custom Bruko and I need to learn to like the sound, but wood and quality is outstanding. Finally I love mine, but no others. You will need to play it to see whether you like it. But worth every cent anyway, even the seriel no.6.

They're so beautiful! But if it's a "love it or hate it" type of sound I think I'll pass. I'm looking for a sort of "classic" sound, at least classic in my ears. Nice to know it's so sturdy though! I'm Miss Clumsy haha

I have a Kiwaya KS-0, the thin brother of KS-1. It's sublime.

WS64 plays the KS-0 (not 1) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdcpFdMO-Y

Note that the KS-0 is a thinline travel uke, and has a less deep "voice" than the full soprano KS-1.

Ukeeku.com's review of KS-1 is here: http://ukeeku.com/2011/01/11/kiwaya-ks-1-full-review/

Elderly Music sells them, as does eBay store lucysukulele (I have purchased a Kiwaya from each smoothly, and they are both authorize Kiwaya dealers).

If you're into bells and whistles, fancy woods, Kiwaya is not for you. If you're into meticulous Japanese build (perfect fret edges, superb neck joint, etc.) from a shop with eight luthiers with outstanding sound, and are willing to pay for it, Kiwaya is a winner. It's a smaller group of ukulele players, as Kiwaya is a less common brand, overall. Kiwaya uses top woods (just not curly woods), and high end Grotoh Japanese tuners...the friction tuners are the best I have ever used.

http://takumiukulele.com/kiwayaukuleles.html

http://www.kiwaya.com/html/english/top.html

I have had email messages, in English, with Kiwaya Japan directly, and they are helpful, courteous, will answer all questions, and type replies in perfect English.

Thanks for all the info! Kiwayas seem to sound amazing and be very very well built indeed. I do love the simple understated design and I'm a sucker for quality Japanese wood craftmanship. I assumed they were made in China, so they're not? I'd be nice to buy something Japanese to support their economy actually.

Are the Ohanas and Kiwayas super-sturdy as well or would my little knocking thing scratch the soundboard, or worse: crack it?

Besides that, I guess it boils down to which one of these have the warmer sound: the Ohana SK38 vs. the Kiwaya KS-1 or KS-5. I can't really tell by watching videos because apparent warmth depends on so many factors besides the actual uke (strings, playing with nail vs. thumb flesh, room acoustics, microphone type and placement, video compression, headphones...). Hmm. Tough choice, but we're moving forward :)

Kiwayas are made in Japan, except for the K-Wave Kiwaya which is a cheap version made in China and not something that Kiwaya even puts on their website (sort of a misstep, like KoAlana by KoAloha).

Ohana and Kiwaya, you'd both be happy with. The former is lovely and relatively inexpensive and fairly common, and the latter is superb, relatively expensive and uncommon.

Last edited:
Thanks coolkayaker1! You and the other commenters have convinced me, I've made up my mind about which brand to get now and I'm totally getting a Kiwaya. Hurray! :)

Now I'm just hesitating between a KS-1 (mahogany) and a KS-5 (koa), but I guess I can just pop by the local music store and compare the two woods on other models to get an idea about the difference in tone.

I was hoping to buy the uke from Mim (because she's awesome) but she doesn't seem to carry this brand. However, there's a reputable online dealer in the UK that carries Kiwayas and has both models in stock right now, and the KS-1 isn't that much more expensive there than the Ohana SK38, lucky me! (KS-5: bit more pricey)

I'll still have to save up for a little bit of time to afford the uke, but when I get it I'll let you know :) I'm planning on putting Worth Browns on it and maybe I'll have that one tuned to D6, we'll see how it goes. Still worried about the scratching when knocking small rhythms with my fingernails while playing, but I guess I'll just have to be a bit gentle when doing it and it'll just have to take it haha.

Cheers! :cheers:

Welcome to the Kiwaya club, where there's lots of elbow room. Lol.

You won't hurt the uke by finger banging it. We all do it now and again. Its light but well constructed, you will find. The light build, as Ken says in the video, is the key to its lovely ring tone. My Kiwaya tenor weighs under 18 ounces. My Pono tenor weights just over 28 ounces. They are the same physical size.

That's a good idea to pop into your local shop to hear the difference between different woods. And, keep in mind, if you hear something other than Kiwaya or Ohana at that shop that strikes your fancy, you should consider buying it. Nothing beats what you fall in love with in your hands at your local ukulele shop. Fair enough to test there with an open mind.

If you get a Kiwaya--and perhaps you could have the shop do it for you or order at the same time--consider changing the strings immediately. They are Hilo strings, which are abysmal. I've not seen one positive opinion about the original strings, even on the highest end models. Why they don't put their Fremont strings on them is a mystery.

You can get a Kiwaya for not much more than the Ohana? That is not true in the USA. You're in a fortunate spot, indeed.

Post photos. And, although many like Kiwaya, always keep your eyes and ears open for any brand or model that suits you best, Lalou. Steve.

Last edited:
Nice try, Steve, but I do not need a Kiwaya. I will not buy a Kiwaya. Arrrrrrgh!

Nice try, Steve, but I do not need a Kiwaya. I will not buy a Kiwaya. Arrrrrrgh!
Unfortunately I have many things I do not need, but I;m glad I have. and one is a Kiwaya KTC-1. I sold my Martin 0 after getting it.In a side by side comparison I liked the Kiwaya better. very close sound with just a bit more volume and room on the fretboard. The build is impeccable, even the braces inside are nicely rounded and sanded. I actually liked the black strings it came with, but it now sings with Worth browns. I have never played one of their Lams, but their solid models are a treasure.

Hahaha! He's very convincing isn't he? :)

Good to know that the Kiwaya should withstand nail knocking, I quite enjoy doing it. Learned that trick from watching ngoni players do it (but they do it on stretched goat skin so no risk for scratches).

I do pop by a local shop quite regularly actually for various reasons (sellers and I are on first name basis now haha) and another one further away from town every now and then, but I don't really fancy any of their soprano uke models at the moment (there's a great local brand I'm quite impressed with but they only do concerts and baritones - I want a soprano atm). Koa vs. mahogany: it's on!

+1 on replacing the strings: I have some Fremont Blacklines somewhere, once I get the uke I'll try these and a set of Worth Browns to see how they fit.

Yeah, the uke market varies quite a lot from one country to another in terms of price and availability doesn't it? Here Flukes and Fleas are quite expensive and hard to get a hold of, for example. I was very close to trying one once, but the woman who owned it only let me hold it for 4 seconds and not strum it. Gaah! So cruel! (neck was tiny bit too wide for my small hands though).
Well Kiwayas aren't exactly mainstream either, but the KS-1 and the SK38 are indeed in a similar price range here (which is why I started looking at them). The KS-1 is a tad more expensive, but not much. Then the KS-5 starts to get a bit over my budget, but I guess I could just eat more instant noodles for a few weeks...

Anyway, I'll defo post pictures when I get the uke :) I know I've said that before about another uke I had help from UU choosing and I still haven't posted them, sorry about that. But I will, I promise. I'm just a bit slow and I keep loosing the camera's battery charger.

Thanks a million for your help!!!!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have many things I do not need, but I;m glad I have. and one is a Kiwaya KTC-1. I sold my Martin 0 after getting it.In a side by side comparison I liked the Kiwaya better. very close sound with just a bit more volume and room on the fretboard. The build is impeccable, even the braces inside are nicely rounded and sanded. I actually liked the black strings it came with, but it now sings with Worth browns. I have never played one of their Lams, but their solid models are a treasure.

Great to hear that! Totally totally totally getting a Kiwaya yes yes yes can't wait can't wait can't wait.
The KTC-1 is solid mahogany isn't it? Would you qualify its sound as warm or bright? Does it have long or short sustain?

The KTC-1 is concert size and of solid mahagony. Different class of thing, more than twice expensive than a KS-1. Of course, there'll be lot of differences and I won't compare it to a soprano.

Yeah, I'm just excited about the prospect of a new uke and also trying to figure out what is a "mahogany" sound vs. "koa" sound. Was going to go down to the music shop today to have a try at different ukes made of these types of woods. But then it started snowing lol

Top Bottom