New Strings New Nut?

tensen

How much variance between strings are reasonable to go before you change your nut or file the original?

I'm still in the middle of trying strings to know what I like. I'd like to know how close the strings should be that I'm comparing without having to change more of my instrument in the process.

merlin666

A regular nut should be able to accommodate all standard string sets. No need to do anything.

ripock

I have never had to change the nut on my tenors. I have tried different brands and I have tried wound and unwound strings, high G and low G, baritone strings, and concert strings. The nut works with them all.

kypfer

In the event of a string being too tight in a slot there's a good chance it'll jam and snap, so the slot needs to be wide enough. Some graphite (from a pencil "lead") or other dry lubricant may help here.
If the slot is too wide there's a risk of the string rattling/buzzing.
In the first instance, file the slot wider.
In the second instance, fill the existing slot (baking powder and a drop of superglue is a tried and tested solution) then re-cut to suit. This also works if one's been a little over-enthusiastic when trying to lower the action ;)

Doug W

I have noticed intonation issues when trying out a new set of strings with different diameters than the original.