Nice surprise at a local strummers club tonight . . .

NotoriousMOK

Reaction score
I took off early from work tonight to join the Kolohe Ukulele Club's weekly practice in Huntington Beach. I like to join this group as they play mostly the traditional stuff, which I like. Unfortunately my work schedule, and the fact that traffic time makes it as much as a 90 minute trek from my home, usually makes it pretty difficult to join them. Now that I think of it, it has probably been as much as 8 months since I've been there. As a matter of fact, on arrival, I discovered they have since started a whole new songbook that they are working through.

Anyways, I come in and get settled and we just get started playing, and guess who strolls in and sits down next to me? None other than 100 year young Uncle Bill Tapia! He of course received a warm and hearty welcome from all who were lucky enough to be there tonight. He strummed with us throughout the evening, and just after the break treated us with a couple songs, front and center. The fact that he can knock it out like he does at 100 yrs is nothing short of awesome.

You know, just sitting there watching/listening to him sing and play, I could truly feel his love for this music and this instrument -- I really don't know how to describe it, but it was quite an experience. Let's hope if we make it as long as he has, we can have half of the effect on people that he has.

Just sharing -- have fun!

Wow, What a memory to have, bet you you will be willing to make that drive more often now...

Top Bottom