NMD: Daniel Brauchli nylon string mandolin

acharman

Reaction score
My latest new mandolin arrived today. It is made by Daniel Brauchli from Tasmania and is a nylon string flat top mandolin (fluorocarbon & wound nylon). Daniel calls the model a polymer string or classical mandolin. Top is Western Red Cedar, back, sides and neck are Eucalypt. It is fitted with a pickup.

First impressions are very good but it will certainly take a little bit of getting used to. Much nicer than steel string mandolins for fingerstyle but I may need to try different picks to the ones I use on regular mandolin or just play it enough with pick to make the necessary adjustments to suit the different response of the strings.

Obviously a different sound to steel string mandolin but I think it will really suit some music.

Video of my first play of it is linked. As usual I play really badly as soon as the camera turns on which is something I've got to work on.

brauchli-1 copy 2.JPGbrauchli-2 copy 2.JPGbrauchli-3 copy 2.JPGbrauchli-4 copy 2.JPGbrauchli-5 copy 2.JPGbrauchli-6 copy 2.JPG

Andrew

Gorgeous! What a sound, too. And I wish I could play as badly as you. Gosh, in my dreams...
Thanks. It is a lovely little instrument that sits nicely between a mandolin and ukulele. I should stop beating myself up about playing badly when the camera goes on and just work through it so that I play as relaxed and free as when it’s off. A couple of the brain freeze errors just disappointed me.

Thanks. It is a lovely little instrument that sits nicely between a mandolin and ukulele. I should stop beating myself up about playing badly when the camera goes on and just work through it so that I play as relaxed and free as when it’s off. A couple of the brain freeze errors just disappointed me.
Oh I completely understand! I don't play particularly well, but I play even worse when I go to my music lesson to show my teacher my "progress". Its like there's been zero work put in during the two whole weeks of practice. Ugh. But then, I've not even been playing for a year, so I have a long way to go yet.

Top Bottom