Not Ukulele but worth a watch

Timbuck

Reaction score
When I was a 16 year old pimple faced kid in the 50s I was an apprentice in the Machine shop and there were lots of machines like these ..Loads of them ended up in 3rd world countries where they are still put to good use.

Good video Ken. Being a retired Tool and Diemaker for 51 years, I got to work in a variety of machine environments. Some like this one and some that were very high tech. Many people don't have a clue how the stuff they use on a daily basis is manufactured. Knowing how modern manufacturing methods have encroached into instrument making, I wonder how much longer "hand crafted" will have a meaning. Seeing the changes that have been made in 50 years I can't begin to guess what the future brings. I enjoy viewing videos like this as it gives me a glimpse into my past. Thanks for sharing Ken
Ed

Really interesting. I just wonder if they ever get those bits of metal shavings into their hands which I would think would hurt.

Really interesting. I just wonder if they ever get those bits of metal shavings into their hands which I would think would hurt.
That's mainly cast iron ...the iron dust in the lungs is the killer I worked in another machine shop for 18 months that machined loads of cast iron ..and 5 of the workforce died of various things in that short time I was there...that's when I decided to became a pro musician and left factory life for a bass playing job in the south of France.:cool:

Totally fascinating.

But, where's the G&M codes? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom