NUD: Barron River concert

rainbow21

UU VIP
Reaction score
Over a year ago, I was saddened as I decided to pass on a Moore Bettah uke, letting logic prevail over my heart. I realized it might be my last opportunity to purchase one. As time passed and I rued my decision more, I decided to find another custom builder to build a no holds barred ukulele. And after videos, posts, chasing leads in this forum, etc., I decided to get a Barron River concert built by Allen McFarlen in Australia.

Appearance first: It is gorgeous! I went with the 3000 year sitka spruce for the soundboard based on photos on his website (https://www.brguitars.com/). I followed his recommendation and matched it with Honduran Rosewood. Upgrades included a soundport and Gotoh Planetary tuners. The sitka spruce is amazing! It transforms with the lighting from a silver grey to a golden brown (first two photos). It is a palette of beauty. The Rosewood and the bindings complement this completely. (And his final few pieces of ancient sitka wood are spoken for, so I was lucky to get mine).

Workmanship next: Impeccable construction! It is a flawless build. Finish brings out the wood grain and beauty. The edges are rounded and a week of admiring it has made me appreciate his craftsmanship even more. This is a master builder at work. I also selected to have a string through bridge instead of using bridge pins.

Feel and playability: Excellent. I like the radiused fretboard which is standard construction for his ukes. Action is close to 2.4 mm, no buzzing with great intonation. Of interest is that he uses Hannabach 235MHT Super Carbon strings. These are fluorocarbon of medium to high tension, which I am undecided on changing out (to lower tension). But the ukulele sounds great with them. And they seem to require a shorter break in period than other fluorocarbons I have used (Living Waters, Worth CM, UkeLogic). Neck is narrow and comfortable.

Sound: It is a cannon! It is loud in a most pleasing way. Great sustain. And there is a complexity of sound (overtones?) that elevate my joy while playing it.

Cons: Well, this uke did not cure my UAS… it had an unintended effect. I am now in his queue to have a soprano made by him.

Photos: For more, I refer you to his June 25th post on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BarronRiverUkulelesBR1.JPGBR5.JPGBR2.JPGBR3.JPGBR4.JPG

Congratulations rainbow!
Allen builds such wonderful instruments,
this one no exception.
May it bring you many years of joy.
:) 💚 🌻

Having commissioned 3 build’s from Allen, I know that your review is accurate because that’s the way I felt when I first received mine. Congratulations! I know that it will give you joy every time you play it.

Rainbow, I’m curious. Do you find the radiused fretboard makes a huge difference in hand comfort, or just moderate, or what? (My dream is to have a Barron River soprano.)

Looks magnificent, congrats!

Rainbow, I’m curious. Do you find the radiused fretboard makes a huge difference in hand comfort, or just moderate, or what? (My dream is to have a Barron River soprano.)
It makes a difference, especially in barre chords. The difference is enough that I will now mostly seek out ukuleles with a radiused fretboard. I do have a KoAloha Red Label concert that is not radiused and I have been enjoying it for this past year without it being an issue. But going forward, I expect that I will appreciate the radiused more as my hands age with the rest of me.

So currently the difference is moderate but that may increase to huge later on.

Lovely. Are the bindings koa or blackwood?

Over a year ago, I was saddened as I decided to pass on a Moore Bettah uke, letting logic prevail over my heart. I realized it might be my last opportunity to purchase one. As time passed and I rued my decision more, I decided to find another custom builder to build a no holds barred ukulele. And after videos, posts, chasing leads in this forum, etc., I decided to get a Barron River concert built by Allen McFarlen in Australia.

Appearance first: It is gorgeous! I went with the 3000 year sitka spruce for the soundboard based on photos on his website (https://www.brguitars.com/). I followed his recommendation and matched it with Honduran Rosewood. Upgrades included a soundport and Gotoh Planetary tuners. The sitka spruce is amazing! It transforms with the lighting from a silver grey to a golden brown (first two photos). It is a palette of beauty. The Rosewood and the bindings complement this completely. (And his final few pieces of ancient sitka wood are spoken for, so I was lucky to get mine).

Workmanship next: Impeccable construction! It is a flawless build. Finish brings out the wood grain and beauty. The edges are rounded and a week of admiring it has made me appreciate his craftsmanship even more. This is a master builder at work. I also selected to have a string through bridge instead of using bridge pins.

Feel and playability: Excellent. I like the radiused fretboard which is standard construction for his ukes. Action is close to 2.4 mm, no buzzing with great intonation. Of interest is that he uses Hannabach 235MHT Super Carbon strings. These are fluorocarbon of medium to high tension, which I am undecided on changing out (to lower tension). But the ukulele sounds great with them. And they seem to require a shorter break in period than other fluorocarbons I have used (Living Waters, Worth CM, UkeLogic). Neck is narrow and comfortable.

Sound: It is a cannon! It is loud in a most pleasing way. Great sustain. And there is a complexity of sound (overtones?) that elevate my joy while playing it.

Cons: Well, this uke did not cure my UAS… it had an unintended effect. I am now in his queue to have a soprano made by him.

Photos: For more, I refer you to his June 25th post on his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/BarronRiverUkulelesView attachment 141779View attachment 141780View attachment 141781View attachment 141782View attachment 141784
Sublime! Congratulations Rainbow21. I think I recall you musing about Barron River at one time and you did it!
We have followed a similar path, from seriously considering a MB & shying away, to ending up with an Ancient Sitka (mine from Cornerstone). May it make your heart skip a beat each time you open the case.

Bluesy.

His instruments are always stunning, true works of art. I love the body shape and the deco styling he often uses. Congratulations on a gorgeous instrument!

Although I could not assign a number to how much easier it is for me to play a radius fretboard (I’m about to turn 77), for the past 8 years I have only purchased/commissioned Ukes with them.

Crazy beautiful! The colors in that Spruce top are amazing. What a joy it must be to play it every time. Congrats...

Wow! Amazing instrument. Congrats!

Sublime! Congratulations Rainbow21. I think I recall you musing about Barron River at one time and you did it!
We have followed a similar path, from seriously considering a MB & shying away, to ending up with an Ancient Sitka (mine from Cornerstone). May it make your heart skip a beat each time you open the case.

Bluesy.
I recall seeing a Cornerstone on the Ukulele Friend site and admiring it. Is this the one? Cornerstone is one of the makers I was considering. UF had a BR that I considered, but the slotted headstock held me back and I decided to commission this one instead.

My BR uke is sitting out on a stand so I can admire it (and even play it sometimes) everytime I pass it.

Oh, I'm so jealous! This is the remaining ukulele on my wish list. (Concert size, too, no less.)
One of my hesitations is shipping to the US, which at this point must cost as much as the ukulele itself, so I haven't gotten in the build queue. (How long of a wait was it for the build?)

Ukulele Friend had a concert Barron River that sounded amazing, but the neck wasn't quite right for me, based on the specs UF provided. Otherwise, that concert would be in my hands right now. I totally fell in love with it.

Enjoy your concert and upcoming soprano!

Oh, I'm so jealous! This is the remaining ukulele on my wish list. (Concert size, too, no less.)
One of my hesitations is shipping to the US, which at this point must cost as much as the ukulele itself, so I haven't gotten in the build queue. (How long of a wait was it for the build?)

Ukulele Friend had a concert Barron River that sounded amazing, but the neck wasn't quite right for me, based on the specs UF provided. Otherwise, that concert would be in my hands right now. I totally fell in love with it.

Enjoy your concert and upcoming soprano!
Build queue last week (for my soprano) was around November. Then figure two months for him to ship. I do not recall if I paid for shipping or if it was included, but package shows $85 (probably AUD) which is about what I pay to ship within the US. Shipped in a nice hard case and took about a week and a half to reach me in SF, CA.

No cost to get in the queue. Do it! And the listed prices are in AUD, so figure it is like having a 25% discount!

Whoa, that's one beautiful ukulele. The almost UV tint to the wood and the rosette are bomb. I own some beautiful ukes myself but still, I am a bit jealous...

It makes a difference, especially in barre chords. The difference is enough that I will now mostly seek out ukuleles with a radiused fretboard. I do have a KoAloha Red Label concert that is not radiused and I have been enjoying it for this past year without it being an issue. But going forward, I expect that I will appreciate the radiused more as my hands age with the rest of me.

So currently the difference is moderate but that may increase to huge later on.
Odd you mentioned barre chords. I SUCK at barre chords. I don't understand how I can hike for hours on steep terrain with 55lbs on my back, but lack the physical strength to play a chord on a ukulele.

Odd you mentioned barre chords. I SUCK at barre chords. I don't understand how I can hike for hours on steep terrain with 55lbs on my back, but lack the physical strength to play a chord on a ukulele.
Barre chords are usually not dependent on strength. Practice around the fifth fret (less tension) and watch a few videos to get technique pointers. Lower string action helps.

Top Bottom