NUD! (belated) Hive Spruce and Walnut Hornet

Mattyukaholic

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Sam quite rightly pointed out on another thread that I have snuck a Hive into my collection without doing a NUD! Thanks Sam! :)

So here it is!

I've been admiring Jake Maclay's work from afar (first Compass Rose now on his own with Hive) and have been coveting a Hive Hornet for ages. Then one came up on HMS and I couldn't resist. Andrew at HMS was his usually amazing self and helped me get it with a trade in of a couple of my other ukes to help.

It's a beaut. It has a Sitka spruce top and walnut back and sides. It's quite literally the nicest uke I have ever had the pleasure to play or own. The craftsmanship is unbelievable - right down to the perfectly hollowed out circles for side fret markers.

The best thing of all though - the sound! I had no idea a uke could sound so lovely and be so effortless to play. It has a real depth and robustness to the bottom end with the highs being almost harp like. I love love love it and hope to keep it forever.

I have it strung Low G, which I love. I like to have a re-entrant and a low G player so I've sold all my other ukes and I've asked Jake to build me a sister for it! It's going to be in spruce and maple. I can't wait!

Here are a couple of videos I made with it. It'll be my one and only ukulele for concerts and recording next year.

Cheers for now,
Matt

Beautiful playing!

I remember the ukulele being on HMS, and being very impressed with it. Even more impressive in your hands, sounding fantastic.
Enjoy it!

Congratulations! Beautiful. Now I know why you sold at least one outstanding uke this summer.

Wow, very lovely! Congratulations on scoring an awesome ukulele! :shaka:

Sounds fabulous, Congrats on the Uke.

Wonderful playing ... just thought I would put a plug in that Matt is a Ukulele teacher and a friend of mine has been really pleased with his lessons with Matt.

That was me who ribbed you about not doing a NUD..........calling me Sam......well, I 'll let it slide this time;)

Thanks for the NUD and the back story on your Hive. I remember seeing this one as well on HMS and you were really smart to buy it. Congratulations, it is an outstanding instrument.....especially in your hands Matty.

That was me who ribbed you about not doing a NUD..........calling me Sam......well, I 'll let it slide this time;)

Thanks for the NUD and the back story on your Hive. I remember seeing this one as well on HMS and you were really smart to buy it. Congratulations, it is an outstanding instrument.....especially in your hands Matty.

Yeah, everyone should know ... I am the nice one and Dave is Mr. Bossy Pants of this "Odd Couple" Friendship. lol

Last edited:
Happy (belated) NUD! One very nice uke and lovely playing. Sounds far removed from the typical Hawaiian sound and into very guitar like tones.

It's rare i listen to a 6 minute video all the way through but this time i did. From a subscriber. Wonderful! :)

Welcome to the bee Hive, Matty. Great to see such a fine instrument in such capable hands.

Wow. Great sound and playing. You make it sound like a cross between a classical guitar and a harp.
This is the kind of thing that everyone who loves uke, as well as those who don't realize what it is capable of, should hear. Whether the style of music is appreciated by the listener or not, it just really shows off another side of the instrument.

Last edited:
Top Bottom