NUD: Custom Luis Feu de Mesquita Tenor

Laouik

Reaction score
NUD: Custom Luis Feu de Mesquita Tenor (now with video)

It's heeeeeeeere. I picked it up from Luis's workshop last week, but had to travel all of last week for work. And I've been playing it all weekend with no time to take pictures. Or eat. Or... yeah.

It has a Sitka Spruce top, with a bearclaw effect below the saddle:

6VpWVgx.jpg

I really like it because the bearclaw effect looks like a reflection, as though it always had a light source shining on it.

The binding is Leopard wood, as is the rosette. I also chose a green accent, which is also present in the binding. I really like it and I'm really happy with the colours and tones.

CqHQGzQ.jpg

xyoRVgc.jpg

oOCLBKo.jpg

Last edited:
It features his signature slotted headstock. The leopardw ood is fantastic in person. It has this 3D effect that I've not seen in other woods (which says more about how few woods I've seen, I suppose):

LY0u0fd.jpg

The back and sides are Milo. The grain of the back makes me smile. So lovely. He even added a piece of milo to the back of the headstock, something he said he did to even out the colours on purely aesthetic grounds.

CaBA0Ei.jpg

eQDvLr7.jpg

Other details are bone nut and saddle, zero fret, ebony fretboard and bridge, cedar neck with carbon fibre truss rod, geared tuners, MiSi pickup. He fitted it with Southcoast strings, but I... ugh. Let's not get into it but I've temporarily placed Aquilas until I get a new set of Southcoast strings.

Thank you for indulging me! There'll be a video or two soon, including comparing the sound between a decent mic and the MiSi pickup he installed.

0pa01jN.jpg

Last edited:
So beautiful! Congratulations. I like everything about your new LFDM. The back of the headstock is such a classy touch and I also love those tuning machines. The work is exquisite as usual from Luis. No wonder he is already sold out for next year.

So beautiful! Congratulations. I like everything about your new LFDM. The back of the headstock is such a classy touch and I also love those tuning machines. The work is exquisite as usual from Luis. No wonder he is already sold out for next year.

Thank you! He certainly outdid himself.

And yes, he's very busy. I waited roughly nine or ten months for mine.

Last edited:
Amazing. What a beauty. He crafts such beautiful instruments. If he ever starts building concerts, I would order one in a minute.

Congrats! The design, fit, and finish look outstanding! Can wait to hear it.
Can you comment on how it compares to your 1st uke from Luis?

Congrats! The design, fit, and finish look outstanding! Can wait to hear it.
Can you comment on how it compares to your 1st uke from Luis?

Thank you. It's... well. Perfect.

Brighter tone (likely the woods, the other is an Indian Rosewood and Western Red Cedar top), more sustain, a bit lighter, the headstock has been slightly redesigned to give more hand manoeuvring room, there's a bit more space between the nut and zero fret... those are the things I've noticed.

There's only one thing wrong with that instrument..........................it's not mine!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Congratulations. It's so gorgeous, I don't know if I'd rather play it or just hold it and stroke it.

Fabulous work by a master luthier. Congratulations. We need to meet up with DownUpDave in the new year. Cheers.

Last edited:
Congratulations........two LfdM ukuleles in your possession is like having two Ferraris in the driveway. No matter which one you decide to use you have made the right choice;)

As sam13 has told you we have been fortunate enough to visit with Luis a couple of times and I saw the last batch he sent to HMS. One had Leopard wood trim and it is a very stunning wood. I really like the green purfing and the milo to the back of head stock. We will have to get together sometime in the new year. Looking forward to a sound sample............showed up just in time for Christmas didn't it, nice.

Lovely. And fantastic pics! I love looking, and listening to Luis' uke. Looking forward to your sound sample.

Congratulations, exceptional looking ukulele. I can't wait to hear and see a video. I love the sound hole which is different from the D sound hole. Any idea what Luis's waiting time is now...... his site says check HMS for 2014/2015......... and having two in your possession....... WOW.

There's only one thing wrong with that instrument..........................it's not mine!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Congratulations. It's so gorgeous, I don't know if I'd rather play it or just hold it and stroke it.

Yep same thing I thought when I saw this beauty.

Top Bottom