NUD Disappointment

If your disappointed now, you might be even more disgusted if you keep in over the log term or when you goto pass it on. Im not sure a discount would be appropriate, unless it was significant. Definitely, a return in my book. Whatever happens, please make sure you feel good about it....otherwise its best to just return it. as a side not, I have a KCM-25 I bought from a store in Hawaii. its a great instrument for the money. my 4 years old poured my coffee in the sound hole one morning..about a half a cup, but still going strong after a bit of TLC.
I hope you managed to get rid of the coffee smell. It can linger for a long time. Or maybe it’s now the most aromatic silver ukulele ever! Was it a protest from you trying to feed your 4 year old coffee? Lol. In any case now it has a great story for you to tell when you show it off to others.

Yep. I freaked out a bit, Tipped it up side down, poured it out and stuffed the sound hole with toilet paper to absorb the liquid. Lucky i caught it right away so it didn’t get a chance to absorb. But that uke is now my travel uke. Still sounds great. The label is the only thing that looks like was damaged. Ya. Life with little kids.
Now you've got a Home Special!

I hope you managed to get rid of the coffee smell. It can linger for a long time. Or maybe it’s now the most aromatic silver ukulele ever! Was it a protest from you trying to feed your 4 year old coffee? Lol. In any case now it has a great story for you to tell when you show it off to others.
It actually was a protest. I don’t remember about what. It all happened in slow motion. But ya. All good now. I was a bit of a dumby for leaving it out with a four year old without much supervision. 4 year olds are similar to puppy’s. You just never really quite sure what their going to do. Oh well. Learned my lesson.

Ukuleles and coffee, doesn't get much better than that! :ROFLMAO: 😂

This uke is back online.

There is also a red label numbered as #11 but in brackets it states that there are only 10 made. That’s puzzling. Anyone know how many red labels were actually made? What’s even more puzzling to me is that there is a silver concert #20 for sale and it’s at $3995! There has to be some mistake somewhere.
Yes, how do they get a #11, when only 10 were made? Something is fishy here. Makes me wonder if there is possibly a back door market going on, where defective ukes are being sold by some unscrupulous employee(s), without the factory's knowledge...

Just found this while looking for an address. They have their own in-house shop now and they're still A) charging for setup and B) let a uke go out like this??????
I was browsing their website ULTP (coincidently) and notice a "Concert" 25th Anniversary Red Label, priced at $5,000. If I ask for a "Custom Setup" there's an up-charge for between $85 (advanced setup) to $30 (Adjust string height for easy playability) !!! And he claims "Only 10 made" but it's numbered as " #11 " Must be typos

Last edited:
I was browsing their website ULTP (coincidently) and notice a "Concert" 25th Anniversary Red Label, priced at $5,000. If I ask for a "Custom Setup" there's an up-charge for between $85 (advanced setup) to $30 (Adjust string height for easy playability) !!! And he claims "Only 10 made" but it's numbered as " #11 " Must be typos
I can see typing 11 on accident when you meant to type 10 but you'd think it'd have been fixed by now. Also, sorry, but I'm not paying $5k for a red label when I can spend that much and get an even better custom black label.

I can see typing 11 on accident when you meant to type 10 but you'd think it'd have been fixed by now. Also, sorry, but I'm not paying $5k for a red label when I can spend that much and get an even better custom black label.
Maybe it was supposed to be a Roman Numeral II ( ii ). :- )

Hi everyone,
This is Terry, the owner of Uke Like The Pros. I was informed of the issues with the ukulele from my team after we received an email from the customer.

To clear a few things up:
1. Yes there was a scratch on the back of the bridge. My team should have seen it, as my luthier and my shipper do inspect all instruments before they go out. In fairness to them the scratch was only visible when the light hit it in a certain way, but none the less they should have caught it. The entire team has been briefed and will inspect instruments more closely. This scratch was able to be bluffed out.

2. The strings were brand new but yes a little frayed. This is very common with KoAloha strings, even new KoAloha strings. After KoAloha stopped using Worth strings, they started buying strings by the spools and their strings have been know to fray. We offered to send a new set of strings to the customer. My luthiers have been instructed to change the strings if they notice fraying.

3. As far as the fret board is concerned. I agree that when you take photos extremely close to a hand made instrument with average lighting, the camera will pick up many things that look like flaws. I challenge every one here to take photos up close on your handmade uke, like a KoAloha and see if the camera picks up things that the naked eye will not see.

4. I authorized my support team to offer the customer a discount on the uke, as she said she loved the uke. Typically a "blemished" uke or a "factory special" would be 10% off, even at the KoAloha Factory. The customer requested $600 off the uke. The ukulele was $1280 so $600 would be almost 1/2 off. In my opinion the issues with this uke didn't warrant a $600 discount.

5. Besides communication with my support team, I personally called the customer to see what we could do to make the situation better. I left a message before the uke was sent back and left my direct line and I didn't hear back from the customer.

6. The customer did receive a 100% refund.

7. So everyone knows here. These are handmade instruments, they aren't and will never be "perfect." Even though myself and the Uke Like The Pros team could have done better on this instrument, it is still an amazing and quality instrument that I have no problems selling again and it will find a good home.

Thanks for all support at store.ukelikethepros.com and ukeikethepros.com

Terry
Hi Terry... Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've got to take your challenge regarding your 'thing #3'. I looked at six of my ukes. Two "factory" ( Pono, KoAloha Opio ), three "hand made Concerts" ( Kanile’a K1, KoAloha 25th, KoAloha Pikake Pineapple ) and one custom Italian luthier-made Antica Ukuleleria Libero. Not a file nick, scratch, nibble, zit, nibble, among them.... of course, mine could be the exception.

As for item #2... wow... I've purchased 5 KoAloha and 1 Opio and none were frayed, scratched or otherwise damaged, all within the last 20 months. Of course you've seen dozens more than I, but if they come that way, you've got real issues with the company. Maybe part of the "factory setup" they do for you needs to be looked at again. If I paid extra for your Basic Setup, would you also change the strings?

[ Edit: Oops ... apologies forum members... those came out bigger than expected. BTW... those are zoomed 3X for the true close up effect]

KoAloha Opio LongNeck Concert.jpegKoAloha Pikake Pineapple Soprano.jpegAntica Ukuleleia Libero Concert.jpegKoAloha 25th Aniv Concert.jpegPono Concert.jpegKanilea K-1.jpegKoAloha Opio LongNeck Concert.jpegKoAloha Pikake Pineapple Soprano.jpegAntica Ukuleleia Libero Concert.jpegKoAloha 25th Aniv Concert.jpegPono Concert.jpegKanilea K-1.jpeg

Last edited:
The price of this ukulele has gone up. A few months ago, it was listed for maybe $500 less. I was still in shock because I have a 25th Red Label concert and paid half of the current listing price. It included a great setup and shipping, and Joel switched the strings to Uke Logic for free so that I could try them out. And the seller automatically lowered the price because some of the (red) dye had some lighter spot where it was not absorbed fully. That is the gold standard of selling and service.

The price of this ukulele has gone up. A few months ago, it was listed for maybe $500 less. I was still in shock because I have a 25th Red Label concert and paid half of the current listing price. It included a great setup and shipping, and Joel switched the strings to Uke Logic for free so that I could try them out. And the seller automatically lowered the price because some of the (red) dye had some lighter spot where it was not absorbed fully. That is the gold standard of selling and service.
I agree. And the level of service I've come to expect from HMS. These guys always deliver beyond my expectations. In Webparrot's email from ULTP, response #7 REALLY floored me :
"7. So everyone knows here. These are handmade instruments, they aren't and will never be "perfect." Even though myself and the Uke Like The Pros team could have done better on this instrument, it is still an amazing and quality instrument that I have no problems selling again and it will find a good home."

Mine are all perfect to the eye, as I would expect of a Kanile'a or KoAloha. Even my cheaper ukes are perfect. I will never buy an instrument from this guy.

There is definitely adjustment going on for scarcity. The mango KoAloha are significantly more expensive than the Koa ones - even though Koa is more valuable, and KoAloha set both at the same MSRP. I figure adjusting prices is within his rights. But it's not good practice.

Hi Terry... Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've got to take your challenge regarding your 'thing #3'. I looked at six of my ukes. Two "factory" ( Pono, KoAloha Opio ), three "hand made Concerts" ( Kanile’a K1, KoAloha 25th, KoAloha Pikake Pineapple ) and one custom Italian luthier-made Antica Ukuleleria Libero. Not a file nick, scratch, nibble, zit, nibble, among them.... of course, mine could be the exception.

As for item #2... wow... I've purchased 5 KoAloha and 1 Opio and none were frayed, scratched or otherwise damaged, all within the last 20 months. Of course you've seen dozens more than I, but if they come that way, you've got real issues with the company. Maybe part of the "factory setup" they do for you needs to be looked at again. If I paid extra for your Basic Setup, would you also change the strings?

[ Edit: Oops ... apologies forum members... those came out bigger than expected. BTW... those are zoomed 3X for the true close up effect]

View attachment 135522View attachment 135523View attachment 135524View attachment 135525View attachment 135526View attachment 135527
Hey @Web_Parrot, which uke is that in the first picture with the wooden fret dots? What kind of wood is that on the fretboard? I really like the look of that.

I agree. And the level of service I've come to expect from HMS. These guys always deliver beyond my expectations. In Webparrot's email from ULTP, response #7 REALLY floored me :
"7. So everyone knows here. These are handmade instruments, they aren't and will never be "perfect." Even though myself and the Uke Like The Pros team could have done better on this instrument, it is still an amazing and quality instrument that I have no problems selling again and it will find a good home."

Mine are all perfect to the eye, as I would expect of a Kanile'a or KoAloha. Even my cheaper ukes are perfect. I will never buy an instrument from this guy.
My thoughts exactly.

Hi everyone,
This is Terry, the owner of Uke Like The Pros. I was informed of the issues with the ukulele from my team after we received an email from the customer.

3. As far as the fret board is concerned. I agree that when you take photos extremely close to a hand made instrument with average lighting, the camera will pick up many things that look like flaws. I challenge every one here to take photos up close on your handmade uke, like a KoAloha and see if the camera picks up things that the naked eye will not see.
None of my handmake ukes had any problems like that.

Hey @Web_Parrot, which uke is that in the first picture with the wooden fret dots? What kind of wood is that on the fretboard? I really like the look of that.
[Sorry for the tread-hyjack!]
Mmmmmmm ! That's the KoAloha Opio longneck concert. Walnut fretboard and saddle. Solid Acacia body. Purchased from HMS. I saw this video when Tobias did a sample and it stuck with me until I saw one in stock. The acacia has 'matured' in the last year, darkening in color and sound.

KoAloha Opio long neck Concertr KCO-02.jpg

[Sorry for the tread-hyjack!]
Mmmmmmm ! That's the KoAloha Opio longneck concert. Walnut fretboard and saddle. Solid Acacia body. Purchased from HMS. I saw this video when Tobias did a sample and it stuck with me until I saw one in stock. The acacia has 'matured' in the last year, darkening in color and sound.

View attachment 135531

Wow, that's lovely! Very nice. I'm really digging those deep browns.

There is definitely adjustment going on for scarcity. The mango KoAloha are significantly more expensive than the Koa ones - even though Koa is more valuable, and KoAloha set both at the same MSRP. I figure adjusting prices is within his rights. But it's not good practice.
FWIW, the same Kanile'a K-2 I purchased 20 months ago is now $550 higher on both HMS and the Kanile’a website. KoAloha concert Koa's are $210 higher than in February 2019. My opinion, it may be a combination of market demand and the families trying to pay good wages and keep good employees...which is fine with me.

FWIW, the same Kanile'a K-2 I purchased 20 months ago is now $550 higher on both HMS and the Kanile’a website. KoAloha concert Koa's are $210 higher than in February 2019. My opinion, it may be a combination of market demand and the families trying to pay good wages and keep good employees...which is fine with me.
Oh yeah that's totally fair. I mean there's nothing wrong with the manufacturer changing prices.

Top Bottom