NUD: KoAloha KSM-10C (First time getting a uke from Yahoo Auction Japan)

uketorik

Reaction score
I just received my KoAloha KSM-10C Pikake Classic soprano today and thought I’ll share my first time experience of getting a uke from Yahoo Auction Japan.

Over the past few months I’ve been buying some ukes (both new and used) directly from Japan through a proxy service. It had been an easy and fuss free experience and I managed to get some nice Japanese made ukes such as the Kiwaya KPC-1M and the Famous FS-5 at pretty good prices.

The proxy service also allows users to bid on items listed on Yahoo Auction Japan. Searching the site shows that besides the wide variety of Japanese made ukes listed, there’s also quite a good selection of K brands.

I put in a bid for a 2018 KoAloha KSM-10C, and was pleasantly surprised that I won it for ¥37,000 (around $274). The uke is not in mint condition, there’s a couple of small nicks but overall it’s in excellent shape. Most importantly, it plays beautifully and sounds great. Shipping from Japan to Singapore (where I’m located) took about 5 days with EMS shipping and cost about $35.

This is my first Hawaiian made uke and I’m really happy with it. Love the Pikake finish, I think it shows off the beauty of Koa wood grain very nicely.

Overall it had been a positive experience getting a uke from Yahoo Auction Japan and I’m thankful to own my first KoAloha!

C1DCA82C-4C3E-4B36-A066-BA63147A3D52.jpeg

Attachments

• F8557D8E-8594-47DD-9BF9-64ABF833AB69.jpeg
    F8557D8E-8594-47DD-9BF9-64ABF833AB69.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 524BE433-B26A-4315-9468-76A2DAFD98F6.jpeg
    524BE433-B26A-4315-9468-76A2DAFD98F6.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 6
Looks lovely.
How do you use a proxy? I'm not quite sure what that means.

Looks lovely.
How do you use a proxy? I'm not quite sure what that means.
Thanks! It’s basically a service that allows you to buy from Japanese retailers / online shops & auction sites who otherwise would not ship outside of Japan. Items you bought will be shipped to a warehouse in Japan, where it will be consolidated and re-ship to your country.

Congrats on the ukulele. Looks like a great price and good experience. I had a sop and a con Pikake and loved both (both moved on due to subsequent purchases).

Believe others are inquiring about the specific link you use for proxy as they are interested in checking it out if you are willing to share.

Congrats on the ukulele. Looks like a great price and good experience. I had a sop and a con Pikake and loved both (both moved on due to subsequent purchases).

Believe others are inquiring about the specific link you use for proxy as they are interested in checking it out if you are willing to share.
Thank you! I really love the Pikake soprano. It’s not the most impeccably made uke I own, but there’s something really special about it.

Happy to share! The proxy I used was Buyee. I didn’t do much research about which one was the cheapest or the best, I just picked the first one that came up when I did a search.

Awesome. Love those classic series!

Great Purchase and you are such a brave person to purchase it from overseas through the local Auction.

>> I won it for ¥37,000 (around $274)

This has been a problem for residents in Japan.
For the past ten years until a few months back, the value of JPY37,000 has been between USD340.00 - 450.00.

Now USD is getting a lot stronger, and JPY is being so weak, the value for Ukulele made in Hawaii has increased a lot from the other side!
I miss the days when JPY37,000 was USD450.00 (year 2012).

Great Purchase and you are such a brave person to purchase it from overseas through the local Auction.
>> I won it for ¥37,000 (around $274)

This has been a problem for residents in Japan.
For the past ten years until a few months back, the value of JPY37,000 has been between USD340.00 - 450.00.

Now USD is getting a lot stronger, and JPY is being so weak, the value for Ukulele made in Hawaii has increased a lot from the other side!
I miss the days when JPY37,000 was USD450.00 (year 2012).
Admittedly a key reason for me checking out Yahoo Auction Japan for ukes is the favourable exchange rate of the yen right now. Ukes that were previously priced out of my reach seem more attainable now.

Last edited:
Admittedly a key reason for me checking out Yahoo Auction Japan for ukes is the favourable exchange rate of the yen right now. Ukes that were previously priced out of my reach seem more attainable now.
There are also quite unique ukuleles on Mercari JP as well.
I just saw the Sumi Ukulele which is a replica of Gibson type 3.
The 2018 made one is currently listed for JPY115,000 (and the seller seems willing to sell it for between 105,000 - 110,000 Yen) , and I am fighting with the UAS at the moment.
It's only USD777 - 815 if you convert it to USD.

Anyway if you need any help language-wise, please feel free to contact me.

There are also quite unique ukuleles on Mercari JP as well.
I just saw the Sumi Ukulele which is a replica of Gibson type 3.
The 2018 made one is currently listed for JPY115,000 (and the seller seems willing to sell it for between 105,000 - 110,000 Yen) , and I am fighting with the UAS at the moment.
It's only USD777 - 815 if you convert it to USD.

Anyway if you need any help language-wise, please feel free to contact me.
Thanks so much for the kind offer, I appreciate it! At the moment I’m getting by with Google translate and turning on translated subtitles for YouTube videos, but will definitely seek your advice when I come across something I don’t understand.

I’ve been looking at Mercari as well and have seen quite a few gems listed there. Recently I’ve really taken an interest in Japanese made ukes. Besides Kiwaya, I’ve noticed other interesting brands such as Luna, Tkitki, Peerless, Cotone, Pupukea, Lanai, etc.

Do you know if there any websites, blogs or forums that write or discuss about Japanese ukes? I’m interested to know more.

Thanks so much for the kind offer, I appreciate it! At the moment I’m getting by with Google translate and turning on translated subtitles for YouTube videos, but will definitely seek your advice when I come across something I don’t understand.

I’ve been looking at Mercari as well and have seen quite a few gems listed there. Recently I’ve really taken an interest in Japanese made ukes. Besides Kiwaya, I’ve noticed other interesting brands such as Luna, Tkitki, Peerless, Cotone, Pupukea, Lanai, etc.

Do you know if there any websites, blogs or forums that write or discuss about Japanese ukes? I’m interested to know more.
Unfortunately there are not many that I know of, even in Japanese.
You may want to search ohana-k Japanese excellent ukulele on google.
It's a very small shop in Osaka, but they have many ukuleles produced by individual builders, and you can visually check all the stocks online.

Unfortunately there are not many that I know of, even in Japanese.
You may want to search ohana-k Japanese excellent ukulele on google.
It's a very small shop in Osaka, but they have many ukuleles produced by individual builders, and you can visually check all the stocks online.
I just bookmarked the website, thanks! Their YouTube sound samples are great, so many beautiful Japanese ukes I've not heard of.

Top Bottom