New Uke Day (NUD) NUD: KoAloha KTM-00 Koa Tenor

Perhaps it is just selfish power of suggestion, but I am finding the KoAloha more and more comfortable. I like the thinner body and lighter neck, and there is something about where/how the neck connects to the headstock that is a bit more comfortable when I angle my hand upward for some chords.

Last night we were working on a few songs out of Daily Uke books (we got ourselves the leap year edition for Christmas so we now have two). She played the KoAloha and I played the Pono for the first half of the session and then we switched. Either the distance between them is increasing or I am just becoming more sensitive to the difference between them. I guess it is possible that the KTM is still playing in. As I played the first chord on the KTM, my breath caught a little and I thought, really? It's not like I was sitting there while playing the ATD thinking there was any problem or that the KTM my wife was playing sounded very different. However, switching to it after playing another instrument caught me by surprise even though I had been playing the KTM earlier in the day. I guess you just become accustomed to what you are playing.

After I quit, she continued practicing for a while playing the KTM. She also really loves the new instrument, and is justifiably proud of her choice. Then she said something that was both exciting and scary--I think actually more scary than exciting. "I can't wait to see what the $5,000 ukuleles sound like." Houston, we have a problem.

For Years, Ko'Aloha KTM-00 tenors have had the reputation of having very comfortable, fast action, easy playing necks. I found that to be true with my 2017 tenor.

From what you have said, it sounds as though that has remained true with the latest KTM-00 version.

Enjoying your posts.

"I can't wait to see what the $5,000 ukuleles sound like." Houston, we have a problem.
Not trying to hijack your thread but this seemed like an opportunity for me to ask a question to the group, especially about KoAloha, brought on by your wife's question. I was at the factory and I played a KTM and loved it. I then picked up a Red Label and played it, and then a Black Label and I found that most of the difference between the production model and the more expensive was not so much in the sound, but more in the ease of play, woods used, and the fact of custom vs production. The sound however stayed basically the same - the KoAloha sound. I walked away thinking that with KoAloha, higher price does not necessarily equate to better sound. I felt that it was my ukulele playing skill that was the determiner, not the uke, nor the price.

Not trying to hijack your thread but this seemed like an opportunity for me to ask a question to the group, especially about KoAloha, brought on by your wife's question. I was at the factory and I played a KTM and loved it. I then picked up a Red Label and played it, and then a Black Label and I found that most of the difference between the production model and the more expensive was not so much in the sound, but more in the ease of play, woods used, and the fact of custom vs production. The sound however stayed basically the same - the KoAloha sound. I walked away thinking that with KoAloha, higher price does not necessarily equate to better sound. I felt that it was my ukulele playing skill that was the determiner, not the uke, nor the price.
This thread speaks about production vs. semi-custom vs. custom inlcuding at least one mention of KoAloha,

I have seen other threads debating whether their are sound differences in the Kamaka deluxe I and II vs. stock versions or if it is all bling. In a Ukulele Site podcast they described how the tops of Kamaka deluxe models were routed differently around the edges and how that might have improved the tone. They seemed to think there was a sound improvement in the deluxe models.

My own limited experience tells me a couple things about sampling less expensive, mid-range, and high-end production instruments. First, the improvements have been more subtle as the price increases. The improvement from $250 to $600 was much bigger than the improvement from $600 to $1400. I would expect the step from base model to deluxe or semi-custom to be smaller yet, but I don't doubt that there can be some improvement if better materials are used and more care is taken. Second, Kamaka and KoAloha, both high-end production instruments, have recognizable sound signatures (I don't have much experience with Kanilea or Ko'olau). Perhaps there is a bigger jump going to a custom build, but I would think at that level it is more about deciding who you want to build the instrument (their signature sound?) and getting the characteristics fitted to your needs.

I am certain that there are many aspects (features/issues) of my instruments that are simply beyond me, but they would jump out to someone with greater skill. Playing skill trumps most other things. Corey or Kalei would sound amazing playing my Donner Amazon special and I still sound like a beginner playing my wonderful new Christmas ukulele.

Congratulations on a fabulous Christmas present!

Congrats on your lovely Christmas gift! I really love the KoAloha sound andw love their aloha spirit as a company just as much. If you haven't already, check out the HMS video tour on YouTube and their podcast episode with Paul and Allen. These gave me a greater appreciation for the family behind the instruments and actually leaned me towards getting my first KoAloha.
Perhaps it is just selfish power of suggestion, but I am finding the KoAloha more and more comfortable. I like the thinner body and lighter neck, and there is something about where/how the neck connects to the headstock that is a bit more comfortable when I angle my hand upward for some chords.
It might be the rounded shape of the headstock transition to the neck or maybe there's slightly less angle of the headstock itsler? Also the next shape itself I think is flatter... more of a D than a C, so there's a smoother transition to the flat back of the headstock perhaps.

Then she said something that was both exciting and scary--I think actually more scary than exciting. "I can't wait to see what the $5,000 ukuleles sound like." Houston, we have a problem.
Don't be afraid! It'll only hurt a bit. 😁

My first thought is that this is a testament to the sound quality that KoAloha strives for from the gate. In the interviews I've seen, it was Pop's ultimate goal to make the best sounding ukuleles... namely better than Kamaka 😬. All of the K brands definitely have their own sound, but KoAlohas resonate with me the most.

As for the levels, I think the other thread speaks to it well and a few others have said the same... there's not too much more you can do to improve sound once you get to the the single luthier top level builders. You're paying for the nuances of sounds in tone woods, all things that improve appearance, and scarcity from a builder who puts their decades of experience to work into hours and hours of detail that can't be sustained at a production level.

As it relates to KoAloha, they have the formula down to make an amazing sounding production ukulele with the materials available to them that they know will sell.

The red labels take the top builders and apply those formulas to different woods that might need some experienced adjustments + that additional detail work above the production level.

The black labels are the top top custom builders making full custom ukes to full custom specs. You're right that it's probably bells and whistles, but asking for a Black Label made of regular ol' koa isn't gonna sound $2000+ better than a production model... but it also wouldn't make sense and isn't what someone ordering a Black Label is looking for...

Same with pro level Kamakas, I imagine. Sure... I want cedar.. but I want cedar with that Kamaka sound that Jake has. But I don't "a" Kamaka or a Kamaka like Jake's... I want MY Kamaka. One that no one else has. Well, Mr Ukulele collector... that'll cost ya.

My first thought is that this is a testament to the sound quality that KoAloha strives for from the gate. In the interviews I've seen, it was Pop's ultimate goal to make the best sounding ukuleles... namely better than Kamaka 😬. All of the K brands definitely have their own sound, but KoAlohas resonate with me the most.

As for the levels, I think the other thread speaks to it well and a few others have said the same... there's not too much more you can do to improve sound once you get to the the single luthier top level builders. You're paying for the nuances of sounds in tone woods, all things that improve appearance, and scarcity from a builder who puts their decades of experience to work into hours and hours of detail that can't be sustained at a production level.

As it relates to KoAloha, they have the formula down to make an amazing sounding production ukulele with the materials available to them that they know will sell.

The red labels take the top builders and apply those formulas to different woods that might need some experienced adjustments + that additional detail work above the production level.

The black labels are the top top custom builders making full custom ukes to full custom specs. You're right that it's probably bells and whistles, but asking for a Black Label made of regular ol' koa isn't gonna sound $2000+ better than a production model... but it also wouldn't make sense and isn't what someone ordering a Black Label is looking for...

Same with pro level Kamakas, I imagine. Sure... I want cedar.. but I want cedar with that Kamaka sound that Jake has. But I don't "a" Kamaka or a Kamaka like Jake's... I want MY Kamaka. One that no one else has. Well, Mr Ukulele collector... that'll cost ya.
I agree with you totally. I was curious if others felt as I do. Someone was asking me recently about the differences in sound quality on a $450 ukesa soprano and a $1250 soprano. I told them that in my experience, the sound was the same and the price of the ukulele has no bearing on the sound. It was the woods, tuners, and embellishments that were different. They found that hard to believe so I asked Pops to write a personal note on this topic. He wrote, "
"I honestly have no interest in pursuing to make ukulele that
surpasses every ukulele on the market, but my endless quest is to continue to maintain the highest standard of acoustic qualities that my ears can perceive with each and every ukulele I handcraft. It does not matter whether it’s a “cheap” or custom model because acoustic excellence is a must. In this regard, every ukulele must be acoustically sound otherwise it would bother my sensitive oboist ears which are spoiled to hear only beautiful sounds regardless of what instrument is producing it. Any one of Pops' ukulele could more than possibly keep someone company during this cold winter season."

Last edited:
I have a (ever so) slightly different take on your take...

I believe there is an ever so slight improvement when you step up within a company's models. I love KoAloha and believe that they have an outstanding ukulele line AND have an incredible consistency so that if you picked up three ukuleles of the same model, they might be indistinguishable in sound and playability. And I love that sound enough to have bought three KoAlohas and two UkeSAs.

Now I understand (or emphatically imagine) that some luthiers can distinguish better cuts of wood, whether through tapping, appearance, physical characteristics, or spider-sense. (Chuck Moore from the Moore Bettah book on variety of Hawaiian koa : "These differences in density, stiffness and weight can by itself have a significant effect on the tone. It's up to the builder to consider these differences and...".) So one might conclude that both better looking and potentially better sounding pieces are reserved for their more expensive models. And attention to detail would be greater than the production models.

In the KoAloha line, the Red Labels have a different bracing system, which I assume equates to better. I am guessing this requires more work or skill or it would carry to their production line. I believe my RL to both feel better and sound better. My RL is mango which I love in the KoAloha sound profile, so I do not have a direct comparison. This different bracing should make it sound different, likely better and certainly not worse.

To go back to the OP, the KoAloha seems preferred over the Pono in many small ways. No one thing can be identified as being the primary difference maker, but there is an additive effect. As I have "moved up" in ukuleles, the best descriptor is still: "It feels better and I like the sound better" (and it looks great, too).

I am very happy for the OP and his wife that they are enjoying their new KoAloha. With so many great ukulele out there, and more and more coming online, it is a great time. I don't know that one is better than another when it comes to higher-end ukes. They are just different and those differences should be celebrated. I guess that is why I have 27 ukulele- lol

I am very happy for the OP and his wife that they are enjoying their new KoAloha. With so many great ukulele out there, and more and more coming online, it is a great time. I don't know that one is better than another when it comes to higher-end ukes. They are just different and those differences should be celebrated. I guess that is why I have 27 ukulele- lol
Yes indeed!

Top Bottom