NUD: Moore Bettah concert (!!!!!)

rainbow21

UU VIP
Reaction score
I am fortunate to have “won” the opportunity to purchase a Moore Bettah concert ukulele from Chuck Moore’s facebook sale last month. I had given up hope of being able to acquire a Moore Bettah ukulele.

In pondering a NUD (which I have been doing for weeks), it is obvious that it looks great (really great) with the 5A koa and the artist touch that all Moore Bettahs are known for. Right away I ordered the book, “Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele - The Story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles”, by Staci Blevins which helped me appreciate Chuck’s artistry and contributions and almost elevate my ownership to a responsibility (undefined as it is).

And, of course, it plays great. It feels good and is easy to fret. It comes with Moore Bettah strings, which consist of flatwound low G and C and fluorocarbon E and A strings. He included a high G string at my request as I was a reentrant player (no longer the case). The sound is exquisite… certainly the best that I can imagine whether strumming or fingerpicking. It is so rich that I do not dare restring it to high G (maybe when a restring is needed I will put the high G first before using the low G set that he included).

The emphasis on this NUD, though, is that it is somewhat transformational to have this ukulele in hand. There must be very few “holy grail” ukulele makers and Chuck Moore is certainly one of them. The first C chord I strummed gave me pause… “Wow” and eyes open wide and… There is a visceral response to hearing, feeling, knowing that something on a higher plane is going on here… a masterpiece of sorts. And this has not completely subsided as I continue to enjoy this ukulele. It has me enjoying ukulele playing a little bit more and for a little longer. There is nothing that I want different about or that I can want to improve upon. It is an unfamiliar place to be and is a good place to be.mb soundport_0004.jpgmb front_0001.jpgmb back_0003.jpgMB headstock_0029.jpg

congratulations rainbow!!! 🙂

the uke is gorgeous. aside from that, your words are equally beautiful.
if i was a luthier looking for a customer quote to put on my site by way of endorsement,
this is perhaps the loveliest one i have ever read.

🌻

Congrats on winning! Lovely looking ukuele and not often we see a Moore Bettah concert. I'm glad to hear you're enjoy it (although I'd be surprised if you weren't).

That is an absolutely beautiful instrument! Congrats on your NUD. I still get that visceral response from mine after nearly 5 years of daily play, these instruments are lovely to look at and amazing to play.

Congratulations, David! So happy for you. When you return to planet earth, how about a sound sample?
Thanks! Sorry I am unable to provide a sound sample... limited by skills and electronics. But I refer you to "The Ukulele Friend" site where Mika Kane demos some Moore Bettah tenors. But even that does not quite capture the experience of actually holding it and playing.

OMG!!! So beautiful!

congratulations rainbow!!! 🙂

the uke is gorgeous. aside from that, your words are equally beautiful.
if i was a luthier looking for a customer quote to put on my site by way of endorsement,
this is perhaps the loveliest one i have ever read.

🌻
Thanks! It might be that Chuck Moore needs no more endorsements. He posted that he feels bad about not being able to meet demand for his instruments and that some have been trying for years to acquire one.

I am fortunate to have “won” the opportunity to purchase a Moore Bettah concert ukulele from Chuck Moore’s facebook sale last month. I had given up hope of being able to acquire a Moore Bettah ukulele.

In pondering a NUD (which I have been doing for weeks), it is obvious that it looks great (really great) with the 5A koa and the artist touch that all Moore Bettahs are known for. Right away I ordered the book, “Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele - The Story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles”, by Staci Blevins which helped me appreciate Chuck’s artistry and contributions and almost elevate my ownership to a responsibility (undefined as it is).

And, of course, it plays great. It feels good and is easy to fret. It comes with Moore Bettah strings, which consist of flatwound low G and C and fluorocarbon E and A strings. He included a high G string at my request as I was a reentrant player (no longer the case). The sound is exquisite… certainly the best that I can imagine whether strumming or fingerpicking. It is so rich that I do not dare restring it to high G (maybe when a restring is needed I will put the high G first before using the low G set that he included).

The emphasis on this NUD, though, is that it is somewhat transformational to have this ukulele in hand. There must be very few “holy grail” ukulele makers and Chuck Moore is certainly one of them. The first C chord I strummed gave me pause… “Wow” and eyes open wide and… There is a visceral response to hearing, feeling, knowing that something on a higher plane is going on here… a masterpiece of sorts. And this has not completely subsided as I continue to enjoy this ukulele. It has me enjoying ukulele playing a little bit more and for a little longer. There is nothing that I want different about or that I can want to improve upon. It is an unfamiliar place to be and is a good place to be.View attachment 146165View attachment 146166View attachment 146167View attachment 146168
You are a fortunate uke player!! I am so glad for you! I completely understand the visceral feeling you talk about! Congratulations!!

That is wonderful David. A beautiful, amazing sounding instrument. Just fantastic. So very happy for you.

Stunning, congratulations! I didn't even think Chuck made anything other than tenors these days.

Top Bottom