NUD Sadness

badhabits

Sporky, maybe I missed it, but what are the names (can't believe I just wrote that) of that particular K1B and KTM returned to stock?

Last edited:

Sporky

Sporky, maybe I missed it, but what are the names (can't believe I just wrote that) of that particular K1B and KTM returned to stock?
The K-1 B is "Witherstring". The KTM is going to KoAloha instead.
Necessaryrooster's pineapple KoAloha was Chikako

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
The K-1 B is "Witherstring". The KTM is going to KoAloha instead.
Necessaryrooster's pineapple KoAloha was Chikako
The pineapple listing has been taken down. Well, it now says "sold out." But I'm pretty sure it wasn't sold.

pip

Sorry you had to deal with so much! I hope when all is said and done, you will have a beautiful Koaloha to enjoy! What amazing generosity from a member to help you out! I went to the site and saw the listing for the K-1 B has this note attached to it.

* NOTE - This instrument was purchased and shipped to customer but was returned. The instrument was inspected by my repair techs and it is in MINT condition.

Sporky

Sorry you had to deal with so much! I hope when all is said and done, you will have a beautiful Koaloha to enjoy! What amazing generosity from a member to help you out! I went to the site and saw the listing for the K-1 B has this note attached to it.

* NOTE - This instrument was purchased and shipped to customer but was returned. The instrument was inspected by my repair techs and it is in MINT condition.
Ha interesting. Definitely was added recently.

wqking

Wow what nightmare story and I can only hope that eventually you end up with a super uke that is worth all the expense and aggravation and will last you a lifetime. Some lessons to be learned 1) prefer to buy in brick and mortar stores where you can play and inspect the uke you want to buy, even if there is additional travel time and cost. 2) When buying a higher end uke online always demand it be shipped in an unopened factory box, otherwise you can never be sure it was already returned or otherwise abused. Don't fall for Uke set up schemes, good new ukes don't need that and can easily be damaged by the process. 3) Always request shipping through US Post to Canada, unless the seller covers all shipping cost including brokerage fees and customs. If the seller is unwilling to use US Mail then shop elsewhere.
Does US Mail mean international airmail? I ordered some strings from a US website and they are shipping to China, using international priority airmail (IPA). It's very cheap, but since it's so cheap, I can't believe the parcels are well protected.
I'm waiting to see if I can receive the strings...

merlin666

Does US Mail mean international airmail? I ordered some strings from a US website and they are shipping to China, using international priority airmail (IPA). It's very cheap, but since it's so cheap, I can't believe the parcels are well protected.
I'm waiting to see if I can receive the strings...
I meant USPS United States Postal Service.

Sporky

The nice folks at KoAloha took care of me and the replacement is on the way via USPS.
Basically they had just completed and shipped out a batch of mango tenors and the wait would have been quite long for the current mango wood to dry - but I have no particular attachment to mango. I could wait for two weeks for new koa ones to be finished. Alternatively they had two factory special silver tenors in the showroom that looked great, one lighter and particularly curly that I preferred the looks of. Brian there examined them and decided to send the dark one back to workshop because of a more significant finish flaw. I decided to go with a factory silver as I really love the ebony faceplate. I don't mind a factory special as long as I know what I'm getting 🙂
An UU friend who lives in Hawai'i went to check it out for me and gave it his seal of approval. Yay!
The blems are a small chip in the fingerboard binding on the bass side well into the soundboard area, and two pinprick pores in the finish on the back. My mango KTM actually had one of those on the front of the headstock and I didn't consider it a blem.
Can't wait to play!!!

Preliminary photos here

Last edited:

Sporky

I always thought their practice of naming their for-sale ukes was silly and pretentious.
Lol I actually kinda like that! Some of the names are surprisingly well thought out. For the unique ukuleles only. It's just stupid on mass production models where you don't see the actual one you're getting. Of course for the unique ukes like Kanile'a they should also include serial numbers, which they don't.

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
The nice folks at KoAloha took care of me and the replacement is on the way via USPS.
Basically they had just completed and shipped out a batch of mango tenors and the wait would have been quite long for the current mango wood to dry - but I have no particular attachment to mango. I could wait for two weeks for new koa ones to be finished. Alternatively they had two factory special silver tenors in the showroom that looked great, one lighter and particularly curly that I preferred the looks of. Brian there examined them and decided to sent the dark one back to workshop because of a more significant finish flaw. I decided to go with a factory silver as I really love the ebony faceplate. I don't mind a factory special as long as I know what I'm getting 🙂
An UU friend who lives in Hawai'i went to check it out for me and gave it his seal of approval. Yay!
The blems are a small chip in the fingerboard binding on the bass side well into the fingerboard area, and two pinprick pores in the finish on the back. My mango KTM actually had one of those on the front of the headstock and I didn't consider it a blem.
Can't wait to play!!!

Preliminary photos here

Congrats on the KTM! Those are the last and I also love the ebony faceplate. Brian and the crew are awesome! Wish they did a KTM mango with an ebony faceplate one day but love my mango non-the-less🤙

rafter

Congrats on the KTM! Those are the last and I also love the ebony faceplate. Brian and the crew are awesome! Wish they did a KTM mango with an ebony faceplate one day but love my mango non-the-less🤙

Agree about the ebony faceplates, I wish they were standard on all their ukes. Even if they had to bump up the price a little.

PeteyHoudini

That's quite a story. Glad you're getting a new KoAloha. I've visited both KoAloha and Kamaka before. I'm from Canada too and I hate brokerage charges by couriers and other import taxes. Sending things back for me is a bad option for anything under $500 but those ukes are pricey. You had no choice. Luckily, I bought my Kamaka pineapple at HMS in Hawaii and customs in Toronto charged me NO DUTY. GO figure. Enjoy that uke when you get it. USPS is the cheapest way to go.

Poul Hansen

Have you considered a review of the shop on Trustpilot.com a serious site for customers to check out before byuing?

And maybe also a positive review of KoAloha as well.

Sporky

Great news!
Out of curiosity, did KoAloha offer any feedback/confirmation regarding the condition of the returned ukulele, relative to their expected standards?

~ S.
Yes that is a good question. Here's the confirmation that I wasn't crazy once they received my defective mango. The fact that it left the factory was definitely a big oversight but they were great with the warranty process and it's in the past. I would surely buy a KoAloha again, just elsewhere.
Also Terry was wrong because I really like my new ukulele!

"When we started back up after our state quarantine, we got a few new employees so some minor imperfections are expected but we admit that we did miss a few more extreme flaws such as the instrument that you got and we deeply apologize for that oversight. The crew has improved and we’ll definitely make sure that you’re taken care of and that you get an amazing KoAloha Ukulele"

As for the source of the problem with the bracing glue, seems to be when the back was installed it slipped and had to be repositioned.