NUD (Sort of): Steampunk Fluke

Jerryc41

I bought a slightly worn tenor Fluke a while back, thinking I would do something with it some day. I made it into a Steampunk Fluke.

Looking online, I found and printed some appropriate pictures. Then I cut and combined them and scanned the conglomeration. I printed that onto a sheet of sticky vinyl and put it on the top.

One big mistake I made was removing the original bridge. I thought it would be too difficult to place the sticky vinyl on the top while working around the bridge. Long story short, it took a lot of time and effort to get a store-bought bridge to work on the fluke. The original bridge and saddle are very low.

All that stuff on the top I found online and around the house. I added friction tuners, but I think I might replace them with tuners having longer shafts. I used Worth strings with low-G, but I ordered some high-g strings because I don't like the sound of the low.

I still have some detail work to take care of, and I might add a sound port, although the sound is pretty good, even with the hole covered. I made this more for looks than for sound.

I have ideas for other Flukes, but I don't have the bodies.

100.jpg 101.jpg 103.jpg 102.jpg 104.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Jerry. I still want to Dolly up a uke with rhinestones. I had wanted to do it on the cheap bamboo uke I bought, but besides the crack in the surface, it just didn't project at all. Really thick surface because I guess the bamboo needs extra strength. Yeah I know, $75 uke, but I've picked up a couple of $30 ish goes for the necks that didn't sound half bad.

Jerryc41

Nice Jerry. I still want to Dolly up a uke with rhinestones. I had wanted to do it on the cheap bamboo uke I bought, but besides the crack in the surface, it just didn't project at all. Really thick surface because I guess the bamboo needs extra strength. Yeah I know, $75 uke, but I've picked up a couple of $30 ish goes for the necks that didn't sound half bad.

I have no more Fleas or Flukes to decorate, and they're too expensive to buy, even used, so I'll use ukes with the traditional shape. I have an Enya I can turn into something.

hawaii 50

I have no more Fleas or Flukes to decorate, and they're too expensive to buy, even used, so I'll use ukes with the traditional shape. I have an Enya I can turn into something.

do you consider yourself a player,builder,designer,collector,tinkerer,or bored?:eek::eek:
as long you have fun with your ukes is all that counts....Lol

Kenn2018

UU VIP
I love it! That looks terrific Jerry. It's so appropriate with the design of the Fluke. A true work of art. Kudos.