NUD

kkimura

I've told myself over and over, not to get into old or vintage ukuleles. That they're too much trouble and go for inflated prices. Well what can I say? Walking through a flea market yesterday some guy was selling what appears to be a Decca soprano badly in need of some tlc at a price I couldn't refuse. ($10)
Here's the tale of woe; no strings, no label, head stock decal unintelligible and the back is lifting off. But, the tuners look okay!
As far as I can tell it's a Decca made in Japan by Kawai / Teisco around 1950-60.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 30
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    38 KB · Views: 27
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 30
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 31

rustydusty

That will be a fun little project. Send some pics when it's finished...
My sister in law is bringing over a no name baritone ukulele this week that belonged to my father in law when he was a teen ('50s). I am going to clean it up, do a set up, and restring it, for her and my niece to play around with...

kkimura

Don't know if I'll try to fix it myself or ask a luthier to tackle it. I remember back when I was a motorcycle mechanic we used to talk about people who would spend 3-4 hundred dollars trying to make their $600 bike go as fast as a $700 bike. The uke has no linings and minimal bracing.

Joe T

For the 10 bucks invested, might be a fun project to tinker with kkimura. Good news on the tuners. ;) Congrats on your bargin find, hope you have a lot of fun with it.

bbkobabe

Those type of tuners went onto a lot of different ukuleles back then... I have a old Roy Smeck signature model and two other old Harmony ukes that all have these same tuners...

BTW: I can give you a great deal on an old Roy Smeck and a couple of Harmony sopranos I have if you are interested!

kkimura

Day 1, disassembled and cleaned the tuners. There was some greenish paint or glue (see 2nd picture) that I was able to scrape off. Apparently the finish is quite hardy.

kkimura

Those type of tuners went onto a lot of different ukuleles back then... I have a old Roy Smeck signature model and two other old Harmony ukes that all have these same tuners...

BTW: I can give you a great deal on an old Roy Smeck and a couple of Harmony sopranos I have if you are interested!
Thanks but they sound expensive. ;)

Ukecaster

For $10.00? Cool! I believe those tuners were called sharktooth tuners, like these on an old Harmony I once had. However, yours seem to have a slight ring at the bottom, while on mine, the entire bottom of the button was flat against the wood. Hope yours comes out nice!

Attachments

• Sharktooth-1.jpg
    Sharktooth-1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 5

kkimura

For $10.00? Cool! I believe those tuners were called sharktooth tuners, like these on an old Harmony I once had. However, yours seem to have a slight ring at the bottom, while on mine, the entire bottom of the button was flat against the wood. Hope yours comes out nice!
Here's a pic of the tuner with the adjustment screw backed off so the bottom of the knob can be seen.

IMG_1697.jpg

kkimura

Strung it up with a set of Martin M600s just for grins. It's loud and not bad sounding but the action is out of whack. 3/16" at the 12th fret and it needs a neck reset. (a Straight edge on the fret board points to the base of the bridge.)

Last edited:

Jerryc41

I've told myself over and over, not to get into old or vintage ukuleles. That they're too much trouble and go for inflated prices. Well what can I say? Walking through a flea market yesterday some guy was selling what appears to be a Decca soprano badly in need of some tlc at a price I couldn't refuse. ($10)
Here's the tale of woe; no strings, no label, head stock decal unintelligible and the back is lifting off. But, the tuners look okay!
As far as I can tell it's a Decca made in Japan by Kawai / Teisco around 1950-60.
You got a Decca uke for $10? That must be a record. 😁

Jerryc41

I've told myself over and over, not to get into old or vintage ukuleles. That they're too much trouble and go for inflated prices.
Right! I hate to see old, $5.00 ukes being offered for over $100.

kkimura

Right! I hate to see old, $5.00 ukes being offered for over $100.
I'm reminded of when I was a motorcycle mechanic, Some people would spend thousands of dollars to make their $600 bike as good as a $800 bike.

John Colter

UU VIP
UU VIP
When the seams of the body are detached, as yours are, it often causes the neck angle to be pulled in that direction. You could try making a crude jig (I've danced a few of those) to hold the neck at the desired angle while you re-glue the body.