Nuts

plunker

Took the strings off my Pono MTD forgot about the nut, nowhere to be found. Realized it after the new strings came in the mail a few days latter. I ordered a new nut. Are nuts that specific to a uke or are they kinds generic. Thanks for you answers after you stop laughing.

Doc_J

Took the strings off my Pono MTD forgot about the nut, nowhere to be found. Realized it after the new strings came in the mail a few days latter. I ordered a new nut. Are nuts that specific to a uke or are they kinds generic. Thanks for you answers after you stop laughing.

Production model ukes such as a Pono should have fairly standardized nuts, but customized for the specific uke during a setup. You should do a setup. That may be a good idea anyway if your strings are different sized than what you were playing before.

Peter Frary

You'll have to adjust the nut height to your taste and cut string slots. The slots should fall away 20 degrees or so towards the headstock (to avoid strange harmonics and buzzes). Don't cut the slots too deep. For the best sound, each string should protrude slightly from the slot.

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Ya have to be careful when removing/changing strings. Depending on the uke, sometimes the nut will fall off or the bridge saddle may fall out, and if it's a Makala Dolphin, those little plastic washers will definitely fall off the tuning pegs and get lost. Don't ask me how I know! :biglaugh:

Dohle

I was really surprised when the nut came off my Pono baritone. Seems they don't glue them on, at least not on their larger scale ukes. Not an issue as I believe it's pretty standard on classical guitars among others.

Regarding the new nut, you should be aware of the width of the nut and, more specifically, the string spacing. Pono use a fairly standard 35mm width nut with 28mm string spacing on all their ukes. Not sure what kind of nut you ordered or if you got a blank nut that you need to cut yourself but a standard pre-cut 35mm width nut should do the job.

As mentioned above, you definitely need to set up the string height at the nut. A pre-cut nut will most likely have the action fairly high so there's a very good chance you need to take the nut slots down in order to achieve good intonation and comfort at the first few frets. If you don't know how to do setups yourself it's probably best you take the uke and the new nut to a luthier or a music shop that does setups.

jcrooks

I am betting you may have a hard time finding something the exact same dimensions without alteration. Making a nut correctly is not that easy of a job either unfortunately…

Being a dealer for Pono, working with John (owner) has been pretty easy. Maybe worth an email to see if he has an extra to mail you.

Also most manufacturers, especially ones that make nicer Ukes do not use tons of glue to hold the nut in. (If there is an actual deep slot, sometimes no glue). It is done this way so it could be changed later if needed, and to facilitate more contact directly with the wood.

Sometimes the couple dots of glue dry up too much and this could be the cause of it falling out.

Last edited:

Kenn2018

UU VIP
UU VIP
All of the 6 Pono tenors I have owned have had glued in nuts. Only one came out of the slot and I could see spots of glue in the slot. I had a tech re-glue it.

He told me that he needed to scrape out the old glue so that the nut would seat properly for maximum contact and the new glue would adhere properly without gaps.

I had seen essentially the same advice on a StewMac.com video about replacing guitar nuts.

plunker

I am betting you may have a hard time finding something the exact same dimensions without alteration. Making a nut correctly is not that easy of a job either unfortunately…

Being a dealer for Pono, working with John (owner) has been pretty easy. Maybe worth an email to see if he has an extra to mail you.

Also most manufacturers, especially ones that make nicer Ukes do not use tons of glue to hold the nut in. (If there is an actual deep slot, sometimes no glue). It is done this way so it could be changed later if needed, and to facilitate more contact directly with the wood.

Sometimes the couple dots of glue dry up too much and this could be the cause of it falling out.

Just emailed him, thank you. I love the name of your company, very cool.