Ohana TPK-25G Small Scale Sopranino

taro

Nice review as always! There is also the slightly more expensive "Pequeno" series that have the vintage-style finishes and white Gotoh friction tuners. Ohana specs say the nut width is 1 3/8" (34.9mm) so I wonder if that's a bit more comfortable....

badhabits

I’ve got that uke, and have pretty much the same likes/dislikes…however, I have it strung with fluorocarbon strings and think is sounds fine in C tuning. I agree that it sounds WAY better than the O’nino (also with fluorocarbon strings), which sounded toy-like to me, no comparison really.

badhabits

Nice review as always! There is also the slightly more expensive "Pequeno" series that have the vintage-style finishes and white Gotoh friction tuners. Ohana specs say the nut width is 1 3/8" (34.9mm) so I wonder if that's a bit more comfortable....

Street price about $225… I’d have a hard time spending that much on a “novelty uke”, esp when the bag or case is a separate item/cost.

Nickie

Thanks for another great review, Baz. I've seen so many of them, I can usually tell right off by the look on your face if you liked it or not.

merlin666

Looks like one for spoiled and talented keiki, though they must practice with supervision to avoid injury with pointy headstock.

bazmaz

It seems to be a quality instrument but size is more suited for children (keiki) than many adults. My Hawaiian language skills are limited.
Ah sorry - not sure I agree when you consider this is part of a solid wood range by Ohana at prices that probably rule out the kids market (this is 160 UK pounds over here - not an entry price)

I get that its styled kinda funky but then, I am 49 years old and like it!

Hey - in the right tuning this is a nice uke - sounds great - the nut width is a common thing with Ohana and Kala - they don't seem to get what the Hawaiian makers have always done in that department and are taking advice from Chinese factory lines. Shame really.

Dohle

Whatever one might think about the uke itself (and I do agree it seems decent) you really have to commend Ohana for making so many of these non-standard ukes. Name me one other uke brand that lists several different sup-soprano models, Nunes style models, Vita uke models, a Lyon & Healy bell uke, and loads of other vintage style models. They're very distinctly a beginner to mid-range uke brand but I'm always impressed with their range of different and quirky ukes.

badhabits

You could add long necks, 5 string, 8 string to your list as well... quite the range.

I forget to mention, I am impressed that baz didn't flinch one bit when the 2 ukes knocked together towards the beginning...lol.

bazmaz

You could add long necks, 5 string, 8 string to your list as well... quite the range.

I forget to mention, I am impressed that baz didn't flinch one bit when the 2 ukes knocked together towards the beginning...lol.
Happens a lot - due to where the mic is positioned it always sounds catastrophic on video, but I hardly heard it in the room!

merlin666

Whatever one might think about the uke itself (and I do agree it seems decent) you really have to commend Ohana for making so many of these non-standard ukes. Name me one other uke brand that lists several different sup-soprano models, Nunes style models, Vita uke models, a Lyon & Healy bell uke, and loads of other vintage style models. They're very distinctly a beginner to mid-range uke brand but I'm always impressed with their range of different and quirky ukes.
That is definitely very appealing about Ohana brand. They even used to have a Taropatch, which hardly anyone makes any more. Also quite nice Artist signature models.

bazmaz

That is definitely very appealing about Ohana brand. They even used to have a Taropatch, which hardly anyone makes any more. Also quite nice Artist signature models.
And that steel string Tiple with 10?

Kaelrie

I have this uke. It's never going to be my primary, but I really do like it. As someone with tiny hands even for a woman, the nut width doesn't bother me at all. It's fun when I want to take a uke that doesn't take up much space.

badhabits

you're right Kaelrie, it should never be a primary uke, just a fun novelty to have around.

I was looking at the Kiwaya catalog and they (their china factory) make 19" sopraninos (u-trip series)... had no idea. 35mm nut and only 8,000 yen with bag in Japan...but international shipping effectively doubles the price. Hmmm, Christmas is coming...

Last edited:

Wukulele

My sopranissimo version TTPK-25G of this is on long-term loan to a 8 yr old neighbor, whom I totally trust. Normal tuning so he can play-along /continue lessons with friends online. Strung with Seaguar blues & Hi-Seas fluorocarbs…

Am thinking about trial-&-erroring various options to find a wound lowG for my sub-sopranos incl this one... (this 8 yr old, like me, prefers lowG, lol).

bazmaz

My sopranissimo version TTPK-25G of this is on long-term loan to a 8 yr old neighbor, whom I totally trust. Normal tuning so he can play-along /continue lessons with friends online. Strung with Seaguar blues & Hi-Seas fluorocarbs…

Am thinking about trial-&-erroring various options to find a wound lowG for my sub-sopranos incl this one... (this 8 yr old, like me, prefers lowG, lol).
In my experience - extremely hard to dial in intonation and string tension with low G on sub-soprano instruments. In fact hard enough to get right on sopranos. Shorter the scale - the more fussy the instrument on accuracy, but flabby tension is also a problem for me.