Old Dog, New Tricks

...age. Is 76 really that old? I’ve a pal who’s just turned 90 and he’s still playing music and very active, we all go sometime but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if George was still posting and playing in 14 and more years time. Plan ahead, but also accept the uncertainty of life and enjoy the days that you’re given.

Hey, 76 is considered "really that old" by most people because the average male life expectancy is < 80 in US. Sure, playing the uke probably adds time, but why be blind to the fact that 86 is old. I'm pretty old myself, and I can say that I'm living life fuller than before BECAUSE I'm old. I want to make my time count for more.

If just playing around makes someone happy, then that's great. But if somebody wants to improve and work hard at it and time is valuable; it just seems to make sense with what I mentioned in my post.

I fail to see why people are so negative.

Hey VG,

I get it. I'm 56 now and started playing uke at 41 years old back in 2006 on a whim. I guess I got in the uke game at 41 (though I was a lifelong guitar player)!!! LOL Whenever you get into the game, just keep going! Don't look back that you should have known sooner. I have a good ukulele friend 18 years older than me and he often says the same thing and he only started at 65.

I started learning Spanish at 21 years old and only got back to it at 50! My Spanish is great now after night courses for 3 years at the University of Mexico in Canada. I just think forward.

Petey

Let me dispel any worries you, my friends, may have about me. I'm in generally good health. I recently bought a lovely Truimph Bonneville T120, my third one, and a couple of weeks ago I took a nice four day ride on it. No problem. I am disabled, having debilitating nerve damage in my right leg and foot. That prevents me from walking any considerable distance, and of course running is out of the question. But, I get around comfortably in the house and yard. So, all in all, I think I'm doing quite well for my age. But, I will say this; I feel like I'm living in someone else's world. All my favorite entertainers, movie stars, authors, etc. are dead and gone. I don't know who all these new people are. I walk through the checkout line at the grocery, and I don't recognize any of the pictures on the tabloids. I bring up Google News, and I don't know what the headlines are all about. I try to tell a joke to younger family or friends, and they don't get it at all. For example, I was telling a joke about Jack Benny, and I was interrupted and asked. "Who's Jack Benny?" Events that were "current" in my life, are now "history" to them. "Isn't it funny, how time slips away!"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-08 002554.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-11-08 002554.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 17
I understand it, VG. You have a few years on me, but I'm also older and it takes me a lot longer to learn things these days. Something I learned last week - remembering? Ha! I have no hope of remembering if I don't write it down. I too wish I found ukulele when I was younger, when my fingers had the stretch and arthritis didn't prevent my pinkies from bending well, and my memory and quickness were better. You seem to get great joy from your ukes, and I bet you're a better player than you think you are. Your years of playing have also given you abilities that you do have that you didn't have 9 years ago. Don't let what you can't do get you down, focus on what you can do. That's an accomplishment. You can't judge your progress or abilities by using those of other people as a yardstick, because then we'll never be good enough. That was my joykiller with guitar. Just enjoy your journey, it's yours alone, and only has to make you happy.

When I start thinking I might be old, I look at someone like Elizabeth Cotten, who played guitar, performed, and sang, well into her upper years. Her voice was gone, but she persisted with what she loved doing, and her fans appreciated it. People like that are an inspiration to me.

Last edited:
Last week end, eight of us had a "men's weekend". We ranged in ages from mid-60s to mid-70s. We all decided to not call ourselves old men, but rather older men.

Speaking of, we got our eighteen month old grand son this morning for the day. I was playing guitar and singing wheels on the bus for him and he was helping by strumming the strings. I have him the pick and told him to go for it. He promptly threw it in the sound hole. He is on his way.

When Jay Leno left the Tonight Show and Fallon took over I thought it was the end of late night for me. My kids told me that I had old man humor and I needed to get with the times. I sort of embraced Fallon and worked at it. I've gotten to the point that I think he is funny most of the time.

Well, I'm also in my mid 70's and seem to have a little of everyone's problems in this thread plus arthritis causing my fretting pinky to be almost useless. A painful pinky means I have had to relearn some pieces in different positions on the frets (and how to leave some notes not played) to accommodate the problem. And like VegasGeorge I spend some time practicing and am surprised at how slow progress is when older. Still, I love playing/practicing and expect to keep at it for years to come.

If I could have a do-over in life (that's a little less than a regret), it is that I wish I had "suffered fools gladder" when I was younger. In my 40s, 50s, and even early 60s, I didn't understand how folks didn't catch on to things as fast as I seemed to and probably seemed a little impatient with them. Now that I'm older, I'm one of those who has to work to learn something new that once would have come with ease. So all you younger folks out there please put up with us older folks (and some younger folks too) who don't seem to learn as quickly as you might. Just smile and practice patience.

Thanks to YouTube, we can now look up "Jack Benny" jokes. Though, that is too far back even for me. Not even sure if Charleton Heston seeing the Statute of Liberty in the original Planet of the Apes is know now. "Damn them all to hell!!!" Great line.

I got into the internet home service in 1995 to move beyond the old stuff and new stuff. I wanted a new virtual library to see it all and I did.

Creating your own website in 1995 was an amazing thing that I did and got some fame from it but now I pushed it from my Edgar Allan Poe houseofusher.net to my new blog. haha It's all fun. VG... it's best to keep going and add new stuff

Let me dispel any worries you, my friends, may have about me. I'm in generally good health. I recently bought a lovely Truimph Bonneville T120, my third one, and a couple of weeks ago I took a nice four day ride on it. No problem. I am disabled, having debilitating nerve damage in my right leg and foot. That prevents me from walking any considerable distance, and of course running is out of the question. But, I get around comfortably in the house and yard. So, all in all, I think I'm doing quite well for my age. But, I will say this; I feel like I'm living in someone else's world. All my favorite entertainers, movie stars, authors, etc. are dead and gone. I don't know who all these new people are. I walk through the checkout line at the grocery, and I don't recognize any of the pictures on the tabloids. I bring up Google News, and I don't know what the headlines are all about. I try to tell a joke to younger family or friends, and they don't get it at all. For example, I was telling a joke about Jack Benny, and I was interrupted and asked. "Who's Jack Benny?" Events that were "current" in my life, are now "history" to them. "Isn't it funny, how time slips away!"
From my sons bike experience, some non-attentive drive is more concern than age, cholesterol, blood sugar or other age issues. You can get yearly checks ups and screening. but the DMV screens the other guy. Be safe, Hey everybody Watch for Motorcycles! Had to edit. My son is fine now but got roughed up pretty bad a few years ago1638026984329.png

Hey plunker, thanks for that! It's odd how traffic reacts differently to motorcycles in different areas. Around here, riding is a pleasure until you get into the Austin metro area. Then, it's a real game of "dodge'em." But regardless, to be relatively safe a motorcyclist has to ride as if he is invisible to other drivers. The actual fact is that a careful car driver can stop and look in both directions, then pull right out in front of an oncoming motorcycle. Sometimes they just don't see us coming. It has to do with the narrow profile of an oncoming bike, and how its movement isn't picked up by the eye against certain background clutter. It registers as a stationary object, like a mailbox. That's why I always wear a hi-viz vest or jacket, and a bright colored helmet. I try to be seen.

Yeah, George, I couldn’t agree more. I have to admit it, but I was never really comfortable on mine except when I was on some nice, quiet back road. However, that’s kinda difficult to find nowadays. I mostly used mine to go to work and back in Texas, and then I went overseas. I didn’t have mine very long.

Have you ever considered playing some other instrument, or even learning to play left handed? Variety is the spice of life, and music is, after all, music.

Real curious about the surgeries and the ones you still need if you feel like writing about them. I am fighting either epicondylitis or cubital tunnel syndrome in the elbow of my fretting hand. Also from repetitive motion. Trigger point release therapy, massage, acupuncture, physical therapy, lots of Aleve, and two cortisone shots still leave me with the chronic pain when I move my hand in certain ways. Strangely, it does not hurt to play, but that is what causes the other pain. Surgery is looking like that the last proactive option and I am just now starting to explore what that entails. So any input would be greatly appreciated. Keep smiling!
Charlie O.
Hi Charlie - before I had any surgeries, I had cortisone injections 2-3 times for every issue. But when they stopped being effective we took the more aggressive route. So far I've had two surgeries, one was trigger finger on my left-hand middle finger which is also my fretting hand. The second was a more invasive and delicate repair of the extensor carpi-ulnaris tendon on the same left hand.

I was about to be scheduled for another compound surgery which would include two trigger-fingers (first and ring fingers) plus work on the wrist flexor carpi-ulnaris tendon and some filing on a carpal bone, but prostate cancer was discovered and I had surgery to remove my prostate 17 days ago. I'll probably have the other hand surgeries, and cataract surgery, next year.

I'm only 65 but I might have inherited a few faulty parts - my 90 year-old mother had 7-8 trigger finger surgeries and cataract surgery too. So we play the hand we're dealt.

I hope you can find some relief for your issues. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Find the best surgeons possible to do the delicate surgeries and DO NOT rush the healing process afterward. I probably delayed my progress, and may even have caused a little damage, when I was a little too anxious to be back to normal.

All the best and please let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Attachments

• Extensor Carpi Ulnaris.jpg
    Extensor Carpi Ulnaris.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1
Yikes! Best of luck on the prostate recovery. As they say, most surgeries are relatively easy unless they are on you.
Thanks for the info, and especially the comment about healing. I have an orthopoedic consultation coming up in a few weeks and we'll see where that leads. Have you run across any UU members with elbow issues?
Thanks Charlie. This prostate experience has certainly been a character builder. :)

Ask lots of questions at your consultation; procedures, recovery, pain management, physical therapy, etc. Good luck.

Bad elbows anyone?

Hey plunker, thanks for that! It's odd how traffic reacts differently to motorcycles in different areas. Around here, riding is a pleasure until you get into the Austin metro area. Then, it's a real game of "dodge'em." But regardless, to be relatively safe a motorcyclist has to ride as if he is invisible to other drivers. The actual fact is that a careful car driver can stop and look in both directions, then pull right out in front of an oncoming motorcycle. Sometimes they just don't see us coming. It has to do with the narrow profile of an oncoming bike, and how its movement isn't picked up by the eye against certain background clutter. It registers as a stationary object, like a mailbox. That's why I always wear a hi-viz vest or jacket, and a bright colored helmet. I try to be seen.
Florida law mandates all bike have their headlights on all the time. I think it helps.

Florida law mandates all bike have their headlights on all the time. I think it helps.
I live in a state where lane splitting is legal. It makes me so nervous. Luckily it seems like all the riders around here have very loud bikes, so they almost never sneak up on me.

Yesterday I was going for a drive and got stuck in some bumper-to-bumper traffic. The local chapter of a motorcycle club was in the lane next to me, and one of the gentleman had a doggy basket strapped to his backseat with the cutest little fluffy Pomeranian puppy in it, who looked like he was having the time of his life.

If you aren't learning, you're stagnating.

At any age.

Tonight, Nov 28, 2021 on CBS is a telecast of Tony Bennett's last live performance at Radio City Music Hall, on August 2021. Performing with his close friend, Lady Gaga. To celebrate his 95th birthday.

Tony is retired now due to his worsening dementia.

I wish lane splitting was legal here in Texas. Most of the time, there's no issue, as traffic is sparse enough. But in the metro areas, it can get really backed up. Sitting in your car, with air conditioning, and stereo entertainment is one thing. Sitting on a motorcycle, having to balance the weight with your feet, in the heat, and breathing all the exhaust fumes is something else. Car drivers who complain about motorcycle filtering ought to be made to experience about 20 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic while riding a bike. I think most of them would soften their opinion about it.

Top Bottom