Online education degree - what do you think of it?

Kennethjose

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking of attending college online but i have no idea where to start? Does any of you have experience with online distance learning? What should i expect? Is it any good or I should just go to a traditional college.

Hi,

I'm thinking of attending college online but i have no idea where to start? Does any of you have experience with online distance learning? What should i expect? Is it any good or I should just go to a traditional college.

I've done a lot of classes online and It's usually in forum-type format, with open discussions each week for every assignment. For me, I prefer attending actual classes because I can directly interact with peers and the teacher and get my questions answered better. I don't feel like I'm getting everything I should be getting with an online class.

Online Education Organizations should at least be accredited. Meaning that they provide degrees or diplomas that will be recognized by employers or other schools, and sometimes these online education schools are affiliated with actual universities and colleges. i've taken some distance ed courses and it is definitely not for me.

i find studying at your own pace really difficult. I need deadlines and human interaction.

Despite my experiences with distance ed there is a Computer-Aided Personalized System of Instruction or CAPSI at my university. Basically LEARN at your own pace and finish at your own pace. I have not taken it myself but I've heard from a handful of people that its about as personal as it gets. I think if it works for some people ITS definitely worth looking into.

My advice do your homework and start researching colleges or whatever. Also visiting with advisors also helps as well. And it also depends what kind of degree your going for? If its reading based i'm sure it could definitely work. If its anything mathematical or scientific based not so much. I took a calculus course via distance ed........NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN!!! hahaha

anyways good luck and let us know how it goes!!

I work in higher education and really depends on what works for you. One of the other commenters mentioned that they should be accredited, which is highly recommended. Make sure it's an institution that is recognized. Private for-profit schools are very expensive and many employers don't pay it any mind. The case could also be made that some employers don't care about any college that you attended, even if it's prestigious.

Also, since the pandemic, many public institutions are now offering many of their courses online. I work in a California Community college and 90% of our courses are currently online. I think community college is the most affordable avenue for getting a higher education.

One consideration is does online courses work for you? Some students need that face-to-face interaction to continue to be engaged throughout the term. Also is your home situation conducive to online learning. Do you have fast internet and hardware (computer) to make sure you are successful? Also, online courses are offered in modes: 1) synchronous - online meetings on zoom (or similar format) like its regular class meeting, or 2) asynchronous - work at your own pace with no class meetings. You follow along on an online platform to complete assignments when they are due and complete your exams when they are due. Online courses take a different type of organization and discipline from in-person classes. Asynchronous (at your own pace) requires a lot of organization and self-discipline.

As an educator and as a former student, I prefer in-person interactions. I get to meet new people and ask questions in person. Plus there is a lot of fun things that happen in college and I learned a lot in college that didn't take place in a classroom. My career path was influenced by my experiences on campus, not really in the classroom.

But the caveat is that online education is there for a reason. Some people don't have the time or the ability to go to campus 4 or 5 days a week. Many are working or taking care of family, etc.

Last edited:
I am a community college professor and have been teaching online for twenty years. Most institutions use a platform that is user friendly - my classes are in Canvas.

I teach communication classes and our online classes have the same standards as the face to face classes. We use Quality Matters for pedagogy (kind of like a Good Housekeeping seal of approval.) So, looking for classes with that standard is a good idea. There is usually a QM logo on the webpage.

I teach in Ohio, and all state schools have to meet an additional set of transfer standards for all general education classes.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to take an online class if that works for you. Your instructor will meet with you online or in person, if needed, and there are great support systems on campus.

Hi,

I have taken many online courses at the university level. The key is to find a credible institution and review its programme. Most institutions have an on line segment....understand some courses in your pursuit may not be offered on line....so it is important check the institution....check the program.....check the course.....then find one that works for you. One final comment, you will be doing yourself a favour if you can check the study materials they either send you, or have on line.....check out a sample lesson...review comments by students on the quality of delivery....it is also a good idea to ask any of your friends or contacts if they have taken online courses and, in particular , the course you are planning to take. On line can be a great choice...good luck on your endeavours.

Man these spammers kinda getting annoying

If you think it's spam, report it by clicking the Report link in the lower left of the post.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

The problem is one spammer revives a 13-year-old thread, and well-meaning people start replying and then the thread is still fresh even if the reported spam message is deleted.

If you think it's spam, report it by clicking the Report link in the lower left of the post.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Oh wow. I had commented on this thread because it pushed as a new post. Not sure how that happened to be in the new post section (which is how I saw it). Sorry about that. Didn't mean to bring up an old thread. As an educator/professor I was excited to respond.

Last edited:
That's what makes it worse, that you spent all that effort because of a spammer. To be clear, there was a short spam message with a link to some online degree thing, just before yours. That is what brought the thread back to life. It has since been removed because of reports

I did, looks like it was taken down.

That's what makes it worse, that you spent all that effort because of a spammer. To be clear, there was a short spam message with a link to some online degree thing, just before yours. That is what brought the thread back to life. It has since been removed because of reports
Thanks Sporky for the clarification. I thought that I was the spammer after scrolling the thread and seeing all the spammer comments. Now that you bring it up, I do remember someone posting that which I didn't agree with.

Top Bottom