Oops I'm developing UAS

Voran

Reaction score
I find myself deeply tempted by a little sopranissimo...

Oops.

This little thing has a harsh, very bright timbre and was probably meant to be a toy but I enjoy the insectile sound and would totally play it in earnest. I'm...pretty much an unplugged and lower-voiced version of Android Lust. I do not need a warm toned instrument.

Should I get one?

I wish you had said a couple of weeks ago. I gave an iUke sopranissimo to a charity shop. It was advertised on here, but no-one was interested.

I have an Argapa piccolo, but Sven isn't making any ukes while he builds his new house and they're a bit of a financial event.

TBH, I think they're OK but really novelty items. I would have been disappointed if I paid what they sell for.

I wish you had said a couple of weeks ago. I gave an iUke sopranissimo to a charity shop. It was advertised on here, but no-one was interested.

I have an Argapa piccolo, but Sven isn't making any ukes while he builds his new house and they're a bit of a financial event.

TBH, I think they're OK but really novelty items. I would have been disappointed if I paid what they sell for.
Aw poop. Never mind. Someone out there is hopefully enjoying playing that uke.

As for banjo uke, maybe at some point!

I find myself deeply tempted by a little sopranissimo...

Oops.

This little thing has a harsh, very bright timbre and was probably meant to be a toy but I enjoy the insectile sound and would totally play it in earnest. I'm...pretty much an unplugged and lower-voiced version of Android Lust. I do not need a warm toned instrument.

Should I get one?
Absolutely! Get one, why not get two? One for the car, one for the home.

Absolutely! Get one, why not get two? One for the car, one for the home.
LMAO! If I were rich I'd totally be a crazy ukulele collector. I want to try all the different sizes and octaves. Ukubasses sound so fun to drop the thunder with, and I find the insectile sound of the little ultra and nano sizes fascinating too.

And then there's that luxurious Snail 60T tenor...

Some day I want to try building my own musical instruments too. I write scifi and fantasy in my spare time and my fictional people have some cool instruments. Notably a one stringed bass carved from bone called an 'ozolina', and in another story I was working on, a rough harsh metal ukulele called a 'yadzou'.

Only if you have neighbors you don't like!
I do have neighbors I don't like haha. I usually deal with them by singing Mussorgsky at the top of my lungs.

Hey, they let their children throw rocks at my pets and painted me as this awful vicious thug because when their kid was chasing my cat with a stick, I had the terrible audacity to get between the kid and the cat and yell 'NO'.

No swearing or harsh language. Just NO.

Apparently NO is a terrible swear word now.

Some day I want to try building my own musical instruments too. I write scifi and fantasy in my spare time and my fictional people have some cool instruments. Notably a one stringed bass carved from bone called an 'ozolina', and in another story I was working on, a rough harsh metal ukulele called a 'yadzou'.
You should check out this site: https://cigarboxnation.com/
It might interest you to see all the home-made instrument builds out of all sorts of items and materials.
Lots of people have built one string "diddley bows" out of various things too. They can be acoustic or electric. Youtube has plenty to look at there.
Also another great resource if you decide to build stuff is: https://www.cbgitty.com/
There are all sorts of possibilities, including home-made ukes....since this is an uke forum after all.

You should check out this site: https://cigarboxnation.com/
It might interest you to see all the home-made instrument builds out of all sorts of items and materials.
Lots of people have built one string "diddley bows" out of various things too. They can be acoustic or electric. Youtube has plenty to look at there.
Also another great resource if you decide to build stuff is: https://www.cbgitty.com/
There are all sorts of possibilities, including home-made ukes....since this is an uke forum after all.

Thanks! The 2 x 4 bass does indeed interest me. Almost an ozolina!

Reactions: jer
Three, one for low G, lol
Don't forget one for standard tuning and one for my particular Dm7 tuning I use on all my original songs.

I might get a baritone or bass uke custom made at some point. I want a specific timbre...Something hollowed and spooky rather than beefy.

Think a male opera singer softly, solemnly singing a funeral dirge, rather than powering out Mozartian pyrotechnics.

Like what Sergey is doing with his voice here, but in the form of a stringed instrument that I can play my usual chord shapes on.

I watched a few of Sergey's videos. It sounds to me like he can sing a low D (1 step below a standard bass low E). That would put you into a drop-D tuning or 5-string (BEADG) territory. I tried detuning my steel wound over nylon uke bass - it worked, but just barely. Another problem is that very few, if any, bass amps (or the average PA system) can actually reproduce 'with authority' anything below low E's 44hz.

Low, low D would be 36.7hz.

Now playing a detuned D "softly" (at a lower volume level) as you mentioned? It is doable, but expect noticeably less volume than 44hz and up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom