Opinions: Outdoor U Soprano vs Flight TUS?

tm3

Reaction score
I've read a number of reviews of these instruments, and would like to hear from those familiar with both how they stack up against one another as far as build quality, quality of the tuners, intonation, durability, consistency, etc. The Outdoor Uke is significantly more expensive, but is it that much better (if any)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Duplicate post

Last edited:
I'd get the Flight TUS35. Haven't owned the OU soprano, but had a tenor. The Flight stacks up well to a Flea soprano, very similar sound. The OU tenor was nice. Well built, but still a bit more plastic sounding. Here is a video I did on my Flight soprano. The Flight has wooden top and neck, with plastic fingerboard. I think the wooden top will provide a more realistic wooden uke tone than the OU.

https://youtu.be/7KAXjf1gGN8

I'd get the Flight TUS35. Haven't owned the OU soprano, but had a tenor. The Flight stacks up well to a Flea soprano, very similar sound. The OU tenor was nice. Well built, but still a bit more plastic sounding. Here is a video I did on my Flight soprano. The Flight has wooden top and neck, with plastic fingerboard. I think the wooden top will provide a more realistic wooden uke tone than the OU.

https://youtu.be/7KAXjf1gGN8

Thanks! Yes, I have heard that the Flight compares well to the Flea for a lot less money.

Tone aside, would you still give the nod to the Flight? Or would you say that the build quality, intonation, etc. of the OU is superior?

The Flight is surprisingly good, especially for the price. Intonation, action, feel and build are great. The going rate seems to be around $50, but I have seen them as low as $35

I would get the Flight unless I needed something with ultimate durability for beach, boat, or leaving at cabins or in your car. Intonation was fine on both, but the Flight just sounded better, which is my most important factor.

Flight is cheaper and sounds better. If you want all plastic, I think the Enya Nova sounds better than the Outdoor and the Enya is also cheaper. Enya is only concert size. Enya is made in China and Outdoor is made in the USA if that matters to you.

I bought a Flight TUS50 from Amazon. When it arrived, the bridge had shattered where the G string attaches. At least one other person here on UU has posted about a broken bridge on a Flight uke. I am not impressed with the brittle plastic they're using. This may be one of those situations where you get what you pay for.

Thank you, I had not seen that one!

Per the video, I would rank the sound of the Flight above that of the OU.

She says that the intonation and playability of the OU is better than the Flight.

I didn't hear her comment about build quality. It seems like I read something about problems with the Flight tuners, but I can't remember where.

I bought a Flight TUS50 from Amazon. When it arrived, the bridge had shattered where the G string attaches. At least one other person here on UU has posted about a broken bridge on a Flight uke. I am not impressed with the brittle plastic they're using. This may be one of those situations where you get what you pay for.

That might be the problem that I read about, only I mis-remembered it as being a tuner problem instead of a bridge problem.

Seems like the brittle plastic bridge and wooden top would give a durability edge to the OU.

Since I have a Flight, I want to weigh in that I have had zero issues. Mine has a compensated saddle, so intonation is great.

There has been a recent change to the Flight tus with a different saddle arrangement apparently they had some problems with the original my tus has a plastic neck and fret board and the paint has started to wear on the frets ,it sounds good to my ears but others have changed the strings .

Since I have a Flight, I want to weigh in that I have had zero issues. Mine has a compensated saddle, so intonation is great.

There has been a recent change to the Flight tus with a different saddle arrangement apparently they had some problems with the original my tus has a plastic neck and fret board and the paint has started to wear on the frets ,it sounds good to my ears but others have changed the strings .

Thanks! The Flight certainly seems to be the most bang for the buck.

Top Bottom