Ordered another Bruce Wei Arts custom bass uke.

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
I'm in the process of ordering another custom bass uke from Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam. The most recent one he made me came out great. Again, I saw one of his tenor uke designs, a gypsy jazz with oval sound hole on his eBay store and asked to make it in a 21.5" scale bass uke with the more classic D sound hole, thinline that's 2" deep (I have a 3+" Hadean that's too deep for my liking). He said it will be $850 including express shipping to Los Angeles, and will take about 3 months. Here is a mockup I made (not exact scale) from his tenor image.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

BWA Gypsy Jazz walnut bass uke.jpg

Last edited:

BobSapey

Looks nice. I'm often tempted by other basses, but I don't feel skilled enough to swap about a lot. My two are both exactly the same scale and both fretless, so moving from one to the other is easy :)

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
Looks nice. I'm often tempted by other basses, but I don't feel skilled enough to swap about a lot. My two are both exactly the same scale and both fretless, so moving from one to the other is easy :)
About 7 years ago I had Bruce make me a fretless, but having 11 fretted at the time that I rotated through, I found it too awkward to go to it as infrequently as I did, so I sold it last year. I'm a fretted kinda guy.

BobSapey

About 7 years ago I had Bruce make me a fretless, but having 11 fretted at the time that I rotated through, I found it too awkward to go to it as infrequently as I did, so I sold it last year. I'm a fretted kinda guy.
I think the u-bass I'd like is an acoustic that is loud enough to play without an amp - it's probably called a cello.

KohanMike

Los Angeles
UU VIP
I think the u-bass I'd like is an acoustic that is loud enough to play without an amp - it's probably called a cello.
In my experience all bass ukes need an amp when playing, even with one other person, and I've used most every string.