Ordered Galli black coated nylon core bass uke strings

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Many months ago I tried a set of the Galli black nylon coated bass uke strings. I thought they would be like standard nylon coated bass strings, but found that they had a very thin black coating and the round wound feeling that I don't want was too prominent. Recently I bought a solid body bass uke from China that is all black, so I decided to order a set of the Galli nylon coated black and let go a little of my dislike of round wound. I'm also going to replace the wood bridge and ceramic piezo pickup assembly with a black metal fully adjustable piezo bridge.

Bass uke black.jpegpiezo Black adjustable bass bridge.jpg

Mike,

Is that by any chance one of those Mini basses from Ebay? If so, how was the initial sound? Obviously, you’re making some adjustments. Touch photo below.

Attachments

• 7CE19D0C-8AEA-4A30-9808-7F74BB532456.jpeg
    7CE19D0C-8AEA-4A30-9808-7F74BB532456.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 11
Mike, Is that by any chance one of those Mini basses from Ebay? If so, how was the initial sound? Obviously, you’re making some adjustments. Touch photo below.
Yes, that seems to be it. It took about four months to arrive from China. I knew I was going to make changes to it, so I haven't played it, but I've bought those in the past and they play perfectly fine, though they may need my cut apart the pickup fix in some cases, but that is moot with me now with the new bridge.

That adjustable bridge has a pickup in it? Link?

And then how do you set the bridge to get correct intonation?

That adjustable bridge has a pickup in it? Link?
The silver color element on each saddle is the pickup, wired together to a motherboard underneath, with one tail. Here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284586402377?hash=item4242abe249:g:ywAAAOSwiTphy5b1
And then how do you set the bridge to get correct intonation?
The bridge has individual saddles, each has it's own front back and up down screws, just like any electric guitar or bass.

I got the Gali black nylon coated strings, but they have very bright orange silks. At first I thought I would unravel the silk, but it's a tedious job. Then I remembered that I had a bottle of India ink and dyed the silks. The tuning machine ends are done, the barrel ends show the orange color that I will do once the ink dries on the other end.

Dye Strings.jpg

Installed the bridge and strings, but the E pickup is bad. I have another bridge and will try when I can.

Last edited:
Yes, that seems to be it. It took about four months to arrive from China.
lol.... Mike, I thought you had learned your lesson about ordering ukes from china?

Anyway... a new Kala bass infiltrated my uke kollection recently. I have found that to keep the noise to a minimum it requires you to hit the fretboard with a fair amount precision. So....I've been rummaging thru the backlog of msgs here to see what nuggets of ubass wisdom y'all have left for me. :giggle:

Never did do an update of this thread. I don't like the black coated Galli strings, they are not smooth enough for me, I still get the round wound zing I don't like. So the Kala/Galli flat wounds for me from now on.

Top Bottom