Out and about

John Colter

UU VIP
UU VIP
Yesterday the weather was fine, so I jumped in the car and headed west. There is a designated low flying area for military aircraft training about eighty miles from where I live. It is known as The Mach Loop as it is near to the town of Machynlleth in Wales. There wasn't a lot of flying activity but I spent a pleasant five hours sitting in a folding chair, playing uke, taking the odd photograph ( a couple were quite good), eating a packed lunch and talking to other flying enthusiastsOn a Welsh hillside - 20-09-2021.jpgUSAF F15 - 20-09-2021.jpg. A ukulele is a great companion.

John Colter

Poul Hansen

I like the sidetable. Is that where you serve the coffee and cakes after lunch? :)

merlin666

Just be glad that Mach loop does not refer to breaking supersonic barrier. They were doing that over my hometown when I was little and the bangs are not pleasant.

John Colter

UU VIP
UU VIP
I don't think I've ever heard a sonic boom. The RAF (and the USAF) are very careful to avoid it over land in the UK. The Mach Loop follows a circuit through valleys in North Wales. No high speeds are involved, just keeping low to simulate avoidance of enemy missiles and radar detection. If spectators climb high enough up the hillsides, they can look down on the passing planes.

Even without sonic booms, the noise is - erm - impressive!

John Colter