Paint Can Lid Resonator Baritone.

printer2

Reaction score
More or less. I entered it in a cigar box guitar site contest with the rules specifying you need to build with a paint can lid, otherwise build to impress. I took some maple sides I had, built the back an top out of Baltic Birch plywood, a Sugar Pine board for the neck I got from a pallet. Beat a piece of aluminum to make the resonator cover, drilled and filed the numbers in it, picked a color to paint it that would go along with the Maple sides (they were baked bringing out the dark color) and the flamed Maple binding. Did a layered distressed sunburst and ended up with what you see here. I thought you guys (and gals?) might appreciate it. Not a serious instrument, more an art-form. I plan on spinning a cone for it to give it a better voice.

IMG_0553a_zpslpn0njyt.jpg

IMG0541_zps9mzr9pnq.jpg

I entered it in a cigar box guitar site contest with the rules specifying you need to build with a paint can lid, otherwise build to impress.

I'm impressed.
Good-looking piece, especially your hand-banged & cut out reso cover!

I love the flaming flames finish! Very well done. The whole uke looks really good to me. Lotta work there. What a fun looking instrument.

A few construction pictures for those inclined.

IMG_5594a_zpsdllh2rz8.jpg

IMG_5610a_zpsdpkhd7ve.jpg

IMG_5611a_zpsm0uycwer.jpg

IMG_5615a_zpsldgu3lc3.jpg

"The spirit is willing but the fl... I mean, my talent, is weak." -T.

Nice, thanks! ^^

Thanks for posting the photos: its always good to see how others make their instruments. It may encourage others to have a go too.

A work of art indeed! Great imagination and execution! Drilling and filing those numbers by hand must have been a labour of love.

Bob

It is not the best design for string changes but was the best I could come up with in a short period of time. A picture is worth at least a few words here.

IMG_5637a_zpsorz6vmx6.jpg

Labour (the non-American spelling?) of love, not what comes to mind.Could have done better but I hogged out a fair amount of material with a drill bit and did the best I could to correct it. Again worked as quickly as I could, I did have the sides bent and joined with end blocks but otherwise building time was two weeks.

But wait till you guys see my new project. Or is six strings too much?

No strings on it yet, doing a 2x4 build. Managed to do a slightly smaller than OM sized guitar box. Enough wood left over for the neck, will take a while to finish yet though. Showing it beside a Martin size 5 guitar that is waiting for me to finish it.

IMG_5674a_zpswsxlbssl.jpg

What a crap service Photobucket, ads plaster the window. Will never use that service, glad I have my own web site where I house all my photos and show them here full view in the post.

I've been thinking about designing a resonator bass uke, but I've been very lazy.

My other computer blew up and I am using a slower machine but it is still good enough for web browsing just don't view videos in full screen or try to upload or get links from FB. It bogs down and you are waiting for an ad or window to finish loading. I also had a special alert to update my browser, no thanks. Went to the Firefox page and it said I am up to date. Wonder what they wanted me to download. A rez bass? Isn't that an oxymoron? Resonators are not known for their bass.

Top Bottom