Painted Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
A woman in our group is part of a uke group in her church, and one of the members was receiving an award for some reason. My friend is giving her a Waterman, and she wanted to personalize it with a picture. She chose a picture their church uses. This is how it turned out. Amazing!

Chalice Uke.jpg

Jerry, non-uke question, hoping I don’t derail the board with a “religious” question… any idea where their church image comes from? I’m assuming it’s a Christian church, and looks like an altar with a leaf on top maybe. Altars a pretty common in the Old Testament but am curious which altar is being depicted here. This sort of thing is a general curiosity to me… and I don’t intend to turn this into a religious debate lol. I simply wish to understand the symbol, read the story behind it, and never bring it up in this thread again lol.

Very cool look and well done painting. I suppose this type of Uke would be a great canvas for painting as they are plastic. Regardless, nice job!

Don,
I did a quick search on "UUCC" and came across this: https://www.uuccglenallen.org/
It's not a Christian church. I didn't read much of the site, but maybe there is something there about the logo. I don't know.

The painting is well done.

Jerry, non-uke question, hoping I don’t derail the board with a “religious” question… any idea where their church image comes from? I’m assuming it’s a Christian church, and looks like an altar with a leaf on top maybe. Altars a pretty common in the Old Testament but am curious which altar is being depicted here. This sort of thing is a general curiosity to me… and I don’t intend to turn this into a religious debate lol. I simply wish to understand the symbol, read the story behind it, and never bring it up in this thread again lol.
I see a whale's tail above the surface of the ocean. Guess my mind is always on the islands, ha!

Yes, I hope this doesn't get moved. : )

Actually, this is a "non-religious" church. I'll try to recall the name. People of all denominations attend, and the emphasis is basically on being a good, tolerant person. They have an annual ukulele open house with people performing, ukes for sale - and food!

I don't recall the exact name, but it has "Congregational" in its name. I'll see if I can find the origin of that picture.

Yes, I hope this doesn't get moved. : )

Actually, this is a "non-religious" church. I'll try to recall the name. People of all denominations attend, and the emphasis is basically on being a good, tolerant person. They have an annual ukulele open house with people performing, ukes for sale - and food!

I don't recall the exact name, but it has "Congregational" in its name. I'll see if I can find the origin of that picture.

Okay, here's the story.

"It’s a photo of the stained glass window at the Unitarian Universalist church in Kingston, which was made by a member there years ago. The chalice is the symbol of Unitarian Universalism, having been adopted from the practice of people in Eastern Europe putting a chalice in their window to indicate that was a safe place during WWII for those escaping Nazi persecution."

Looks like Unitarian Universalist to me...

That's a gorgeous piece of art! I've had success with acrylic paint pens which I've sprayed with a fixer after it's dried. Here's an old blog post I did showing a couple of ukes I painted: https://www.ningthing.com/art-music-painting-ukuleles/

Try it... it's fun!

Beautiful ukes! That wave turned out very nice. I thought it was one that they sell.

That note from George Harrison was written to Jim Beloff for a book on ukes he was writing.

I like painting/decorating Fleas and Flukes, but my painting skills are lacking. I want to paint a Winter Uke, but it's gotten nowhere.

Beautiful ukes! That wave turned out very nice. I thought it was one that they sell.

That note from George Harrison was written to Jim Beloff for a book on ukes he was writing.

I like painting/decorating Fleas and Flukes, but my painting skills are lacking. I want to paint a Winter Uke, but it's gotten nowhere.
Thanks Jerry :) I received a few messages after my post, asking if I'd sell my painted ukes but it's really just a fun pastime for me. About what you said though, have you tried using paint pens instead of brushes? Do give it a go on a test subject before painting on your nice Fleas and Flukes!

Thanks Jerry :) I received a few messages after my post, asking if I'd sell my painted ukes but it's really just a fun pastime for me. About what you said though, have you tried using paint pens instead of brushes? Do give it a go on a test subject before painting on your nice Fleas and Flukes!

Paint pens are a possibility. I'll look online and see what's available.

I'm satisfied with the first two below, but I've put the "Winter Uke" back in storage for a while. Fortunately, sandpaper works wonders to remove the unwanted.

05.jpg

001.jpg

09 sm.jpg

Top Bottom