Pepe Romero Moon Spruce and Brazilian Rosewood - Custom built by Pepe

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
I bought this Ukulele from Pepe himself. This was a uke he had available while the waiting list was around a year or 2.
This ukulele sounds amazing and the main thing that stood out for me was the evenness and balance across all nodes across all fret positions.
This is due to his skin bracing system.

The top wood is German Moon Spruce from a tree that his master teacher cut in December 1999 at midnight of the new moon. Brazilian Rosewood used by Pepe was with him for over 10 years, he got it from a retiring guitar builder who had it already for over 30 years.

The neck is Mahagony.
The bridge is Brazilian Rosewood.
The fingerboard is Madagascar rosewood
Inner bracing is Adirondack.
I believe he does hand rubbed french polish.

The pics I clicked yesterday includes sound sample and the original video I received: https://kerneltime.smugmug.com/Ukulele/Pepe-Romero-Sprucr-BRW-12/n-BWN4RV/i-PGxWVSq

Each note on this tenor rings clean. The notes are balanced and have a presence and sustain that is unique to his builds. Pepe’s custom builds need to be experienced, they stand out over other build styles.

This ukulele is perfect for classical music or finger-style arrangements.

I got this tenor to try out his builds. Thanks to this ukulele, I decided to add myself to his queue and get another custom that is built to my specifications.

I have my custom Pepe Romero and need to sell this to fund other Ukuleles.

The pickguard, seen in the pictures can be removed, I have pics with and without it. It is not glued, it clings on the surface similar to an iPhone screen and can be removed easily and put back on as well. It protects without damaging the finish or needing glue but it tends to have air bubbles trapped inside. Pepe always ships with this screen in the case as an option that I cut to my liking. I quite like the protection it offers.

i-PGxWVSq-X4.jpg

i-SZ6SKjf-X4.jpg

i-GW9Z76j-X4.jpg

i-cCx9zMC-X4.jpg

Price: $3700 shipped within the US.
Ships with the original case (the case in the pics is a cheaper one, he has a nicer case, I can click and send pics if needed)

Last edited:

taro

Sounds amazing, very distinct and clear projection with the deeper tones that Romero makes.

rafter

I, too, opened the thread, foolishly thinking: maybe it will be listed for reaaal cheaap, and nobody's noticed it yet.

I didn't read closely and watched the tiny (on my screen) video. I thought, hey, kerneltime looks an awful lot like Pepe Romero. It took me a second. I mean, maybe you do look like him, I don't know. But yeah, that's a beauty of an instrument. Brazilian rosewood, too. I wish Pepe would tone down his signature/replica models to be more understated like his actual customs. Actually, I wish he did "signature" style concerts and maybe sopranos too.

Good luck with the sale, that's a great uke, and I haven't seen any come up for a while, new or used.

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Thank you for the kind words. Feel free to ask any questions or request more pics.

specialk13

Wow, I didn't think I would ever see one of Pepe's ukes up for sale again! I have owned several of his ukes in the past and they were all superb. I'm sure this one is a gem. GLWTS!

Contrails

Wow looks so nice. Unfortunately I dont play well enough to do any justice to the uke so I can only admire it.

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
I have a pretty good offer on Reverb. I would prefer to sell on UU as it is cheaper for all involved and I want to be fair to Reverb itself so will not redirect the buyer here.. If no one picks this up here, it will be sold tomorrow.

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Extremely happy this uke found a new home

Finally had some more time to sit down with it today and I am so impressed with this instrument! The notes really do just ring and the tone is wonderful. I appreciate the careful packaging and loosening the strings as well. I have definitely never heard a ukulele that sounded quite like this one, thanks again for working with me on the price and enjoy your custom build!