Personal Problem: "laying down a track" for UU

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Starting now, I finally have about 48 hrs. of "real-me-time" to create a video for UU. There will be no complications of mixing or production; just play and sing into the camera. The recording method is adequate.

How-some-ever,

When I'm sitting, I can play better. When I'm standing, I can sing better. (I do use a strap, so that ain't it.)

What am I to do?

I say stand and practice more. You can't improve your voice if your wind isn't good, but you can improve your playing if you practice.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West near the Beverly Center
4 tenor thinline cutaway ukes, 6 thinline acoustic bass ukes
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member Cali Rose & The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Starting now, I finally have about 48 hrs. of "real-me-time" to create a video for UU. There will be no complications of mixing or production; just play and sing into the camera. The recording method is adequate.

How-some-ever,

When I'm sitting, I can play better. When I'm standing, I can sing better. (I do use a strap, so that ain't it.)

What am I to do?
Try sitting on a bar stool, or any seat that is 24-30 inches high. Even with the increased height, it will still feel like you’re sitting (or perching, in this case). But if you have your feet on the floor, the additional height will stretch your body out more, allowing for greater expansion in the chest area, better breath control, and improved singing.

Well, here I am in the wee hours... if I really want to sing and play:

I've determined that standing up while I practice playing (at least more often than not) is going to be the solution. I also adjusted my strap to hold the instrument a bit higher. Singing has to have precedent over sitting.

When you are sitting down and singing, try to keep your posture and your feet in such a way that you could get up without using your hands. Upright, body slightly leaning forward, sitting on the edge of the chair, and your feet in position below your knees. This allows you to use your breath support optimally.

Try sitting on a bar stool, or any seat that is 24-30 inches high. Even with the increased height, it will still feel like you’re sitting (or perching, in this case). But if you have your feet on the floor, the additional height will stretch your body out more, allowing for greater expansion in the chest area, better breath control, and improved singing.

Agreed 😎

Top Bottom