Picking up new Uke tonight!

So you are saying that they are a lot like lays potato chips? :)

Welcome to the site and to the uke!
IF you buy others? If you can manage to only buy and play one you are in the minority for sure....I try to keep only one at a time usually, but I've gone through many...same with guitars... Currently I don't own any guitars though.. The uke has taken over for now. I hope you'll at least try a soprano at some point too, and the other sizes. Then there is string experimentation...It seems like they make even more difference with ukes than with steel string guitars just due to all of the available materials and sets.
Of course you're ready to play from the start using DGBE tuning. If you're mostly a rhythm player you might not even miss the two extra strings...For me, even though the uke has a couple of less strings I find it more freeing somehow...I don't know how to explain it. It really makes you look at playing different and may even help your guitar playing. Enjoy!

P.S.

Nice photos. What's the story on the B & E strings? I haven't seen any quite like that before. I also just acquired a Baritone (Pono Acacia Deluxe). It is fun to play; but then again, so are the tenors. Enjoy, Don

Don, the uke came with these strings. Not sure I like them. They sound OK but they are all wound strings and are kinda stiff and noisy. Tough to press down at the first fret while playing an open F chord. I will probably change them out at some point and try something else. Any suggestions?

Congrats on the new Mainland! I have a two - a matte soprano that looks like your baritone's baby sister, and a cedar-topped rosewood baritone with Guadalupe strings also.

How do you like those strings? I think they work really well on the bari.

Thanks! Nice to talk with another Mainland owner. The jury is still out on these strings. Like I said in a previous post they seem to be stiff and noisy and tough to press down in the first fret while making an open F. They do sound nice but 4 wound strings was not what I was expecting. How do you like them and have you tried any thing else?

I love baritones so a big congratulations on your new baby. Those are Guadalupe strings and I didn't care for them either, very, very different then your standard type baritone strings. You asked about string suggestions, Martin M630 have wound D& G and florocarbon B & E and are a great place to start. They won't break the bank either.

I'll be ordering a Mainland Red Cedar tenor on the first of May. I can't wait! Still trying to decide if i want to get the electric model?

I love baritones so a big congratulations on your new baby. Those are Guadalupe strings and I didn't care for them either, very, very different then your standard type baritone strings. You asked about string suggestions, Martin M630 have wound D& G and florocarbon B & E and are a great place to start. They won't break the bank either.

Thanks for the suggestion on the strings. I'll check them out. fluorocarbon? That's fishing line! LOL

I'll be ordering a Mainland Red Cedar tenor on the first of May. I can't wait! Still trying to decide if i want to get the electric model?

I though about the pick ups but I don't know if I will be playing mine on stage anytime soon. Easy to install a set of K&K piezos if I decide to do so. I installed K&K's on one of my Taylor guitars and it was easy.

Thanks for the suggestion on the strings. I'll check them out. fluorocarbon? That's fishing line! LOL

Yup fishing line. That is what Worth, Oasis, Martin, Fremont, Living Water, PhD and many of the other biggest names in uke strings are made from.....florocarbon

Yup fishing line. That is what Worth, Oasis, Martin, Fremont, Living Water, PhD and many of the other biggest names in uke strings are made from.....florocarbon

I just ordered a set from Amazon. Ill give them a try and let you know what I think.

Some friends really like Living Water on their baritones...they're fluorocarbon, definitely not fishing line!

Some friends really like Living Water on their baritones...they're fluorocarbon, definitely not fishing line!

It is all fishing line. Florocarbon line was developed for the commerical fishing industry, then recreational fisherman found out about its benifits, then fretted stringed instrument builders. Nylon and monofilment are thicker and stretch more than florocarbon so it was a natural evolution.

Very nice! For years I have been longing to delve into Baritone foray. Your pics are feeding the fire! Enjoy!

Top Bottom